Class of 2014 - JUCO TE/WR Trey Dunkelberger (PA) Signed LOI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 JUCO TE/WR Trey Dunkelberger (PA) Signed LOI

B13ZVHpIEAEmBNM.jpg:large

Not really understanding this, we already have good numbers and talent at tight end. I can see a move to defensive end but we have good numbers and talent there too and that's young talent. I agree he is more of a special teams guy and depth guy. I guess our coaching staff after this season realized we need help on special teams coverage (which we do) and there is no such thing as too much depth and this season showed that.

http://theroundupnews.com/2014/10/29/dunkelberger-honors-grandmother/

Dunkelberger, a 20-year-old criminal justice major, plays tight end for Pierce College football. Out of high school, he attended Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania before moving out to California to play for the Brahmas.
After attending a Division 2 (D2) school, he had to make a decision between sitting out for a year at a Division 1 (D1) school, or to go to a junior college with hopes of receiving a full-ride D1 offer.
Pierce out-of-state recruiter, Mike Hill, contacted Dunkelberger after his profile was sent out to various schools across the states and asked him to come play at Pierce. Hill told Dunkelberger he would “definitely get out with a Division 1 offer.” He received his first offer from the University of Akron over the summer and received another offer from Cincinnati on Oct. 28.

I would take a JUCO stud at just about every position if possible, with the exception of possibly LB. But even there we will be extremely young next year.

Need wins.

I think we're missing the positive here.

DUNKELBERGER!!!
Instant fan favorite, no doubt.

I don't actually know German, but I think his name means "Dark mountain man."

6'5, 240, used to be an OL/DL in a different day and age. This might be what Deacon Jones was

Maybe maybe not. we don't have good TE depth numbers. This year alone both Parris and Moore were out at the same time and we didn't have a TE. Parris has 3 DNPs and Moore as 2.

Both Provo and Batten cant get off the bench yet.

Going into 2015:

Josh Parris - Redshirt Junior
Kendall Moore - Junior
Tyler Provo - Redshirt Sophomore
PJ Batten - Redshirt Sophomore

Walkons
Jacob Green
Cam McPhearson

What position do Custis and Enoicy end up at ?

Maybe maybe not. we don't have good TE depth numbers. This year alone both Parris and Moore were out at the same time and we didn't have a TE. Parris has 3 DNPs and Moore as 2.

Both Provo and Batten cant get off the bench yet.

Going into 2015:

Josh Parris - Redshirt Junior
Kendall Moore - Junior
Tyler Provo - Redshirt Sophomore
PJ Batten - Redshirt Sophomore

Walkons
Jacob Green
Cam McPhearson

What position do Custis and Enoicy end up at ?

I think either Custis or Enoicy could bulk up and end up at TE but right now, I have to think the staff is really high on them being big WR's that can dominate smaller DB's. So we'll see. But you do bring up a good point.

Provo is a RF not a RS - so jury is still out on him big time.

Batten - not sure what will come from him, has bounced around to a few positions - never a good sign. Usually if there's a position change, you want to see it stick. I.e. Corey Winfield or Tebucky Jones/Kevin Johnson (God I miss those days) going back in the day.

So basically we're with Parris, who I believe is a legit TE all the way around, and Moore who has issues catching the ball sometimes. West Lindor is a commit but if he's going to play TE, he definitely needs a redshirt year, he's pretty thin.

So more I think about it, a JUCO does make sense here. Matter of fact, if you look at our depth chart, a JUCO makes sense in a number of spots - OT, C, and QB (yeah I said it :)).

If he comes here can we call him GARDENHOSER???

I'm reading the tea leaves, and find this discouraging.

Right there with you. I don't really get this. Wish we would stay away from the JC ranks. All this will seemingly do is create a log jam at the position.

Parris - Jr.
Kendall-Moore -Jr.
Provo - Soph.
Custis - Soph.
Enoicy - Frosh.

Why not just stay on Parkinson if you want a TE?

And there is a big difference between KST, and SEC recruiting JC's. KST builds their program around JC's. The SEC bring in 4 and 5 star future NFL studs.

I would take a JUCO stud at just about every position if possible, with the exception of possibly LB. But even there we will be extremely young next year.

Need wins.

That very well could be the reason Shafer is going this route. Contract year coming up and needs wins. I know we were scraping and clawing for warm bodies in 2013, but taking the hit in that recruiting class with all the JC kids really hurt the program.

Right there with you. I don't really get this. Wish we would stay away from the JC ranks. All this will seemingly do is create a log jam at the position.

Parris - Jr.
Kendall-Moore -Jr.
Provo - Soph.
Custis - Soph.
Enoicy - Frosh.

Why not just stay on Parkinson if you want a TE?

And there is a big difference between KST, and SEC recruiting JC's. KST builds their program around JC's. The SEC bring in 4 and 5 star future NFL studs.

Neither Custis or Enoicy lined up as a TE - yet. Maybe Parkinson's told Syracuse no thanks. Maybe this kid is being looked at as a DE ? Maybe Provo won't get off the bench. Maybe their concerned about injuries. Maybe after gettng dumped by all the TEs they tried to recruit they need to offer a juco. There's a lot of maybes that could be considered without jumping to conclusions.

Neither Custis or Enoicy lined up as a TE - yet. Maybe Parkinson's told Syracuse no thanks. Maybe this kid is being looked at as a DE ? Maybe Provo won't get off the bench. Maybe their concerned about injuries. Maybe after gettng dumped by all the TEs they tried to recruit they need to offer a juco. There's a lot of maybes that could be considered without jumping to conclusions.

So what's the point of this thread if we can't jump to conclusions?

and Provo was playing against Duke.

So what's the point of this thread if we can't jump to conclusions?

and Provo was playing against Duke.
I've seen Provo out there in other games.

I know provo's played but he hasn't shown anything. He so far looks strictly like a blocking tight end. Read the tea leaves jump to conclusions but this Dunkle kid isn't a big slow plodding wishbone tight end. He's lean, athletic and has some speed. he looks like an hback not a traditional tight end

We've been recruiting tight ends all season have we not, this kid pops up and it's a sign we're changing the offense?

Last edited:
Not really understanding this, we already have good numbers and talent at tight end. I can see a move to defensive end but we have good numbers and talent there too and that's young talent. I agree he is more of a special teams guy and depth guy. I guess our coaching staff after this season realized we need help on special teams coverage (which we do) and there is no such thing as too much depth and this season showed that.
I am not surprised we are recruiting TE's since Lester said a a couple of weeks agos they need to go after some TE's to fit the "12 personnel" offense that he is installing next year.

According to rvls, we offered 5 tight ends before Lester became OC. And 4 of 5 committed elsewhere

Chris Clark – Michigan

CJ Conrad – Kentucky

Amir Ealey – OPEN

Caleb Reams – Illinois

Chris Garrison – Boston College

Other kids who ‘could’ fall into the TE/HBack group we’ve offered – PRIOR to Lester becoming OC:

West Lindor 6-4 / 205 - committed

Najee Clayton 6-3 / 215 - open

Trevill Holcy 6-5 / 210 – open

Alex Parkinson 6-5 210 - open

David Edwards 6-6 / 225 – Wisconsin

Since Lester become OC we haven’t offered any new tight ends or hbacks. This kid as of yet does not have an offer. They probably want to look him over before they do, so assuming he’s offered – he’ll be the FIRST te/hback offered since Lester took over. I don’t think that signals a new direction on offense. At least not yet. I think it signals that we’ve MISSED on every kid offered at the position.

Looking at Rovals looks like he is visiting UofL on 11/29/14 and SU on 12/5/14.

Also according to Scowt he has an offer.