Class of 2016 - JUCO WR Datrin Guyton JR (IA) Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 JUCO WR Datrin Guyton JR (IA) Offered

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2015/11/datrin_guyton_oregon_state_bea.html

By Gina Mizell | The Oregonian/OregonLive The Oregonian
Follow on Twitter
on November 09, 2015 at 11:55 AM, updated November 09, 2015 at 1:11 PM

CORVALLIS — Oregon State wide receiver Datrin Guyton has been dismissed from the program, the school announced Monday morning.
Guyton, a redshirt freshman who tallied 14 catches for 178 yards in eight games, was dismissed for "violation of athletic department and team rules as it relates to the expectations of a student-athlete," according to the school's news release.

Coach Gary Andersen did not provide many more details about the dismissal during his Monday press conference, other than stressing that he would help Guyton find his next playing destination.

"I wish it wasn't this way, but it is that way," Andersen said. "I'm excited for his future when he decides where he wants to go, and I'm here to help him. I'm not excited that he's not with us. He is a good kid. It's just, it is what it is.

"That's really what I have to say on it, other than the fact that I am going to help him get to his next spot, because I think he can be successful. Kids make mistakes. That's where we're at."

Guyton had started three games, including Saturday's 41-0 loss to No. 23 UCLA. But he had also run into behavioral issues at points throughout the season. He was moved to the scout team for a week following the Beavers' loss at Michigan in early September and was seen arguing with a referee in the first half of the UCLA game after a Bruins defender was not called for pass interference on a deep ball intended for Guyton.

In Guyton's absence, receivers like Hunter Jarmon (14 catches, 157 yards, one touchdown; recently came off an injury), Paul Lucas (two catches, eight yards, 19 rushing yards), Rahmel Dockery (two catches, 15 yards) and Xavier Hawkins (two catches, nine yards) could see more action.

OSU is currently 2-7 and 0-6 in Pac-12 play heading into Saturday's contest at California.

Hopefully he's got his anger management issues under control. If not, I would take a pass on this one.

Hopefully he's got his anger management issues under control. If not, I would take a pass on this one.

You have insider information?

Another player who won't be making the trip, or suiting up again for the Beavers, for that matter, is WR Datrin Guyton. Andersen announced that Guyton has been dismissed from the team, for the usual reason, violating unspecified Athletic Department and team rules. The promising red-shirt freshman had 14 catches for 178 yards.

Guyton was involved in an animated disagreement on the sideline during Saturday's game against UCLA, and was sent to the locker room. The full details of the event have not come out.

It did not sound like the dismissal was Andersen's idea in the least.

"I wish it wasn't this way, but it is that way," Andersen said. "I'm excited for his future when he decides where he wants to go, and I'm here to help him. I'm not excited that he's not with us. He is a good kid. It's just, it is what it is."

"That's really what I have to say on it, other than the fact that I am going to help him get to his next spot, because I think he can be successful. Kids make mistakes. That's where we're at."

http://www.buildingthedam.com/2015/11/9/9703064/gary-andersen-press-conference-brings-no-good-news

So he was dismissed from a P5 school 4 months ago, and is now at JUCO. What would that do regarding his eligibility issues? Does he need to complete 2 years at JUCO (2016 & 2017), or since he is academically ok, just sit out the 1 transfer year (2016)?

So he was dismissed from a P5 school 4 months ago, and is now at JUCO. What would that do regarding his eligibility issues? Does he need to complete 2 years at JUCO (2016 & 2017), or since he is academically ok, just sit out the 1 transfer year (2016)?
Seems like he'd be a spring enrollee and eligible to play in 2017. Or he could enroll this summer. But he still wouldn't be eligible until 2017 unless he got an NCAA Waiver.

he's not at juco for grades so he can play immediately. not sure how the transfer rule plays out since he's enrolled in a juco though.

I'm not sure what the rule will be for this one.

He redshirted in 2014 and then played for Oregon St. in 2015. Since he was dismissed in November of 2015 and he is going to JUCO to stay in school is there an exemption to the rule as he isn't a true transfer.

Throwing an offer to a risky prospect with what look to have been some serious issues goes to show you what the staff thinks of the WRs on the roster. No way this kid is considered if they saw much of anything in the younger holdovers.

Throwing an offer to a risky prospect with what look to have been some serious issues goes to show you what the staff thinks of the WRs on the roster. No way this kid is considered if they saw much of anything in the younger holdovers.
Serious issues? For getting in a singular argument on the sidelines?

Serious issues? For getting in a singular argument on the sidelines?
So you know it was one argument? I seriously doubt a kid who was contributing right away was tossed for a single sideline argument. You know better than that too. The article posted with this referred to issues - not singular, plural. Seems clear the argument was the last straw and not the sole reason for his dismissal.

Guyton had started three games, including Saturday's 41-0 loss to No. 23 UCLA. But he had also run into behavioral issues at points throughout the season. He was moved to the scout team for a week following the Beavers' loss at Michigan in early September and was seen arguing with a referee in the first half of the UCLA game after a Bruins defender was not called for pass interference on a deep ball intended for Guyton.

Either way - I maintain its an indication that the staff is no being wowed by the WRs here now.

He might have a personality conflict with a coach there.

If you are dismissed from a team transfer sit out rules don't apply, see Sulamon, Rasheed, Duke>Maryland

So he can play immediately in 2016? Interesting... And he would be 3 to play 3?

If you are dismissed from a team transfer sit out rules don't apply, see Sulamon, Rasheed, Duke>Maryland
I thought Sulamon finished out the semester and received his degree from duke in 3 years. So he was essentially a graduate transfer. So the one year sit out rule didn't apply to him regardless of his status on the team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom