"Jurisdiction" and "due process" | Syracusefan.com

"Jurisdiction" and "due process"

billsin01

All American
I keep hearing these terms tossed around yesterday by Bilas, the PSU BOT member on the Gottleib show, and Gottleib himself. I have a big problem with this, though.

As far as jurisdiction, the term itself is essentially the definition of "grey area." I mean, you have a program and an institution collaborating to cover up decades of sexual abuse to keep it's football team's pristine image in tact. Lack of institutional control anyone? I mean, I'm not a lawyer but I'd have to imagine that the NCAA could not only make a case that it should be involved here, but that it would be egregious for it not to be involved. Plus, let's not forget that the whole point of college athletics (though we all understand it's complete sham) is that these kids learn character and integrity, etc., from the playing fields. When one of your premier members is doing the exact opposite, it's time to step in.

Due process is another absurd point to bring up. For one, PSU signed off on the penalties. But, even disregarding that, let's look at what we know happened. Not rumored, not alleged, not inferred -- we're looking at what we know, beyond any shadow of doubt, happened:

1) Sandusky was convicted of decades of abuse not even including the alleged abuse of his own adopted son and a couple others who've come forward predating the allegations in this case.

2) A university at it's highest levels, if we show it in the best possible light, did too little to stop it. It also may have participated actively in a cover-up.

3) the coach/figurehead admitted he "handled things poorly" and sent emails clearly showing his role in what certainly appears to be a cover-up.

4) The university commissioned an investigation by the former head of the FBI. He and his team examined 3M documents and issued a 200-page report slamming the university. Ummm, I'm pretty sure an NCAA investigation would be unlikely to find much differently.

5) The university had already distanced itself from Sandusky in many ways for otherwise inexplicable reasons.

Honestly, what would the ncaa be waiting for? The results of the civil trials? Spanier's and Curley's trials? So the NCAA should wait for months/years to officially render sanctions? It's honestly the dumbest thing I've heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom