Just because we stink at throwing doesn't mean we should throw backward | Syracusefan.com

Just because we stink at throwing doesn't mean we should throw backward

I don't understand how the bubble screen can be the bread and butter of an offense. It only really works if you can and have been sucessful throwing down field as well. I like the play if you do it maybe three times a half but it can't be every other play. :bang:

I don't understand how the bubble screen can be the bread and butter of an offense. It only really works if you can and have been sucessful throwing down field as well. I like the play if you do it maybe three times a half but it can't be every other play. :bang:
I just have a hard time understanding how McDonald comes in, immediately makes WR recruiting a priority... and then calls this east-west stuff over and over.

I just have a hard time understanding how McDonald comes in, immediately makes WR recruiting a priority... and then calls this east-west stuff over and over.
I just feel like its completely not hard nosed. Grow some balls and learn to throw down field some. There will be some growing pains but how does a QB learn to read a defense and become able to throw like a real QB without throwing beyond the line of scrimmage. We need to grow some balls on offense.

I just feel like its completely not hard nosed. Grow some balls and learn to throw down field some. There will be some growing pains but how does a QB learn to be able to throw like a real QB without throwing beyond the line of scrimmage. We need to grow some balls on offense.
Agreed. I do take some comfort in believing that our plan was to play as vanilla an offense as possible to get by what should have been an inferior opponent though.

Absolutely.

Agreed. I do take some comfort in believing that our plan was to play as vanilla an offense as possible to get by what should have been an inferior opponent though.
The thing I don't get is...does shafer strike you as a guy that wouldn't lose his mind after blown bubble screen after bubble screen? I honestly can't believe it's his offense

I know it's defense but I don't even want to make another thread, but how bad is Kirkland? Awful. Kept kamakazing in off the edge and the qb would stroll right around the corner.

I know it's defense but I don't even want to make another thread, but how bad is Kirkland? Awful. Kept kamakazing in off the edge and the qb would stroll right around the corner.
Is he 10? That dude would celebrate a tackle after giving up 8 yards to the qb...ugh

The thing I don't get is...does shafer strike you as a guy that wouldn't lose his mind after blown bubble screen after bubble screen? I honestly can't believe it's his offense
I don't, but I also think he's playing the risky game of trying to let McDonald figure stuff out.

He saw Hackett figure stuff out. All I can figure is he's hoping that if McDonald is allowed to work it out that the lightbulb will go on in a big way.

Is he 10? That dude would celebrate a tackle after giving up 8 yards to the qb...ugh

Ha. I also saw too many Syracuse DBs especially celebrating and gesturing towards Robertson after tackling him. He was gashing the team all day.

Maybe he thinks they are more athletic than what they actually are. I didn't see Estime for instance running away from anybody.

Look at the bright side. We finally found a use for the punter that you liked. And that's not bad.
yeah, but we are doomed as millhouse will likely lose his mind every time he doesnt look downfield...

Cameron Lynch was horrible in pass coverage all night. He has his back to passes and has no idea where the ball is. Pretty poor performance on both sides of the ball. Villanova looked like the better team tonight. If they don't blow an
easy chip shot field goal, we're talking about the worse loss in SU history.

I figured our game would go like the Minnesota game last night where it's close for a half or so and the we break away. That all went out the window when Hunt got ejected.

Our running game is predicated upon having a dual threat QB, without Hunt the running game lost half of its punch. I also though Wilson played well given the circumstances but missed some throws I think Hunt makes. I like our WRs, I wish we'd use them for more than long handoffs, but again.. Vanilla.

Defense...What. Does our scout QB stand still in practice? Totally unprepared with zero discipline.

For as much as the LB's were hyped up to be a strength of this team, they were anything but tonight. While Lynch had a lot of tackles, most were after a 5-6 yard gain from the QB or a RB. He was horrific in pass coverage. And Hodge had some atrocious gaffes where he took awful angles of pursuit.

Also, where was Dyshawn Davis? Did he even play? Saw he had his helmet off in OT. Was he hurt?

For as much as the LB's were hyped up to be a strength of this team, they were anything but tonight. While Lynch had a lot of tackles, most were after a 5-6 yard gain from the QB or a RB. He was horrific in pass coverage. And Hodge had some atrocious gaffes where he took awful angles of pursuit.

Also, where was Dyshawn Davis? Did he even play? Saw he had his helmet off in OT. Was he hurt?

I don't know but Josh Kirkland was absolutely atrocious filling in for him.

The best defensive series we had the whole game was when Zaire Franklin was at the MIKE. Only time we went 3 and out.

CbusCuse said:
Bubble should be like bunting against a shift. You don't bunt all day when they don't shift

I just feel like its completely not hard nosed. Grow some balls and learn to throw down field some. There will be some growing pains but how does a QB learn to read a defense and become able to throw like a real QB without throwing beyond the line of scrimmage. We need to grow some balls on offense.

My thought on this is, did you watch Hunt or Wilson throw the ball beyond 10 yards? Everything was high and overthrown (then again so was a portion of their WR screens) Wilson's play was adequate and solid given his situation he was in. Hunt however was just awful considering his play at the end of last year and the expectations we had for his play going against a FCS team

I don't know but Josh Kirkland was absolutely atrocious filling in for him.

The best defensive series we had the whole game was when Zaire Franklin was at the MIKE. Only time we went 3 and out.
Maybe when hunt threw the punch, he was hoping they'd toss Kirkland out...

I thought the same for most of the game. But we stuck with vanilla and went three and out when we had a very real chance to prevent a loss (tied with six or seven minutes to go).

Going to be very interesting to see what changes we see two weeks from now. I don't think McDonald is capable. Hope to eat some crow.

Bubble should be like bunting against a shift. You don't bunt all day when they don't shift

The baseball comparison I'd make is that throwing the bubble screen all the time is like a pitcher throwing nothing but change-ups. it doesn't work if you don't set it up with the fastball. Just a terrible game plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom