Just watched UAlbany beat Vermont in the America East semifinals | Syracusefan.com

Just watched UAlbany beat Vermont in the America East semifinals

My current grad school. Will always be a cuse fan but it's still cool to have both teams doing well.

Booo!!!! Albany seems to have UVM's number in that tourney though. Vermont smoked them twice this year, but shot poorly yesterday, and had to contend with foul trouble (haven't heard whether it was questionable foul trouble).

It also sucks balls to have to play in the arena of the 4th ranked team when you are the overall number 1 seed. Won't happen again is my understanding - they have fixed that particular problem.

On a completely unrelated note, I played an old man league game against Germain Mopa Njila's team last night. Despite only having 5 guys, we beat him and the other 7 guys they had by 8. I turned in a decent performance of 16 points on 4-8 or 9 from three and guarded the aforementioned UVM grad pretty decently. Even got a block on one of this three ball shots (he made NONE).

Booo!!!! Albany seems to have UVM's number in that tourney though. Vermont smoked them twice this year, but shot poorly yesterday, and had to contend with foul trouble (haven't heard whether it was questionable foul trouble).

It also sucks balls to have to play in the arena of the 4th ranked team when you are the overall number 1 seed. Won't happen again is my understanding - they have fixed that particular problem.
I thought they always played at the highest seed, or am I just thinking of the championship game? Because Patrick Gym has gotten a lot of air time on ESPN early Saturday mornings over the last 10-12 years.

On an unrelated note, I'm still bitter I never got to play there as we were knocked out of the state quarterfinals my senior year. Stupid Brattleboro.

I thought they always played at the highest seed, or am I just thinking of the championship game? Because Patrick Gym has gotten a lot of air time on ESPN early Saturday mornings over the last 10-12 years.

On an unrelated note, I'm still bitter I never got to play there as we were knocked out of the state quarterfinals my senior year. Stupid Brattleboro.

Just the championship game in the past. That one always went to the highest ranked remaining school.

Rice won the boy's championship again this past weekend. They beat MMU to take the D1 title. Heard the first play of the game was an alley-oop dunk to their 2 guard who is a 6-6 sophomore.

I've played on that court twice I think - pickup early in the morning. Nice when one of the guys you play pickup with is the associate head coach and has the keys to the building.

Just the championship game in the past. That one always went to the highest ranked remaining school.

Rice won the boy's championship again this past weekend. They beat MMU to take the D1 title. Heard the first play of the game was an alley-oop dunk to their 2 guard who is a 6-6 sophomore.

I've played on that court twice I think - pickup early in the morning. Nice when one of the guys you play pickup with is the associate head coach and has the keys to the building.
I don't even remember who won the championship my senior year, now that I think about it. I blame our loss in the quarters on coaching, since we had a future 3x America East POTY on the roster (not to mention the teams before me only won 3x in 20 years despite having another 2x America East POTY who was a co-captain with my brother, and before that, we had the only McDonald's All-American in Vermont history in the early 80's, who started in the same back court as the guy who, for a long time, was Iona's all-time assist leader...how can you not win more titles with that many good players? I'll tell you how - coaching...our coach was a jerkoff who played favorites more than anyone I've ever seen).

Yes, I'm bitter toward my high school coach. I'm 33 years old. I can't explain it, either.

I don't even remember who won the championship my senior year, now that I think about it. I blame our loss in the quarters on coaching, since we had a future 3x America East POTY on the roster (not to mention the teams before me only won 3x in 20 years despite having another 2x America East POTY who was a co-captain with my brother, and before that, we had the only McDonald's All-American in Vermont history in the early 80's, who started in the same back court as the guy who, for a long time, was Iona's all-time assist leader...how can you not win more titles with that many good players? I'll tell you how - coaching...our coach was a jerkoff who played favorites more than anyone I've ever seen).

Yes, I'm bitter toward my high school coach. I'm 33 years old. I can't explain it, either.

I'm suffering under the delusion you played for your dad in HS, but that must be false. Who was your coach?

I'm suffering under the delusion you played for your dad in HS, but that must be false. Who was your coach?
No, my dad coached at the college level. My coach (senior year...he took a sabbatical my junior year) was a guy named Layne Higgs.

But seriously, the dude had Bruce (or Henry, whichever he was going by at the time) Dalrymple and Rory Grimes in the same backcourt in the early 80's and only won two titles. Dalrymple started at Georgia Tech alongside Mark Price for god's sake.

Granted that was a good era for VT high school basketball, but still. Also, the fact he only won one title with the teams my brother was on is ridiculous...those teams were absolutely loaded. My brother's co-captain was a kid named Tony Orciari, who was a star for UVM. And then obviously when I played, we had Coppenrath on the team, yet didn't get past the quarterfinals. I'm telling you, it's awful coaching.

No, my dad coached at the college level. My coach (senior year...he took a sabbatical my junior year) was a guy named Layne Higgs.

Right. I vaguely remember you saying that now about your dad. Don't recall seeing Higgs' name before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom