Justin Taylor transferring to JMU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Justin Taylor transferring to JMU

I always thought that Red should have switched him and Q up. I truly believe that Taylor would have been much better coming in off the bench vs starting. Take some pressure off him.

I mean if we are going to do this game….

Maybe his teammates didn’t want to pass to a kid who literally was struggling to hit the rim yet starting.

Just sayin. I know he tried hard and all of that but let’s be serious
So you are saying that Judah who shot 28.2% shooter from 3 was judging and also righteously blackballing a 30.1% shooter from taking 3‘s this year? Career wise their first 2 years here, Judah was 29.1% from 3 and Taylor was 34%. Hmm I sure hope not.

So you are saying that Judah who shot 28.2% shooter from 3 was judging and also righteously blackballing a 30.1% shooter from taking 3‘s. Career wise their first 2 years, Judah was 29.1% from 3 and Taylor was 34%. Hmm
Nope. I’m saying Judah can also shoot 2 point baskets. So can JJ. Chris Bell can shoot 3s as well. Q can shoot as well. Also Maliq can score.

I’m assuming the majority of the team felt those would be better shots than Justin’s being wide open based on what they were seeing him produce

Nope. I’m saying Judah can also shoot 2 point baskets. So can JJ. Chris Bell can shoot 3s as well. Q can shoot as well. Also Maliq can score.

I’m assuming the majority of the team felt those would be better shots than Justin’s being wide open based on what they were seeing him produce
What does a coach decide?

Really had high hopes for this kid being a great 4 year player after the start to his Freshman year. Not sure what happened but he has 0 confidence right now.

He is so stiff, robotic like when he shoots. It doesn’t even look natural, he is just overthinking everything. I think a change and fresh start will do him well.

Can’t help but wonder if something happened between him and Benny. Or some type of team division/animosity because he was starting over Benny. All speculation, I just can’t remember seeing a player regressing so much from his freshman year to his sophomore year.

Last edited:
When it comes to players, I just root for them. They don’t deserve to hear criticism from “fans”. Let the coach manage the players and just root for the kids. Players know if they are playing well or not and don’t need us to tell them.

Last edited:
He is broken in orange and was overmatched in skillet. Absolutely seems like a hard worker and fine young man. Hope nothing but the best but anyone who thinks he deserves to be a starter here is drinking orange kool-aid. I mean that as much for the player as I do state of our program.

Yeah……no won’t do it. Hardly have the time these days to follow our own team!

As Tom opined elsewhere this will be the death nell of the sport. Can’t believe I’m unique in this, but after years of season tickets, I dropped them, not planning to get them again anytime soon, will still watch when I can, but not as religiously and with much less intense interest.

It's so hard to watch college basketball now. I have to admit, I have zero interest in the NCAA tournament without SU in it. I don't know hardly any of the players on other teams, and even on your own team, there's so much turnover now.

I was watching a random Premier League game last night - Aston Villa v. West Ham - and I enjoyed the hell out of it, because I knew the players, I knew the coaches, I knew their strategy, etc.

It's hard to enjoy watching sports when you don't know any of the players. From time-to-time I'll be flipping channels, and I don't know if any of you have seen "Fantasy Football" on TV (or whatever they call it ...), but I caught it a couple times and tried to watch for 5-10 minutes.

If you are unfamiliar, you are watching somebody play a Madden Football type of game on television, with announcers who sound like Newhouse kids, or their equivalent. The teams are in made-up uniforms, with made-up names, and the players are all made-up. No real guys, because they didn't license their name and likeness. So, it's all random. Impossible to watch (for me, anyway). You don't know who is supposedly a good player from a bad one. It was completely boring.

That's what college hoops has become. Getting to the point that I almost never watch unless it's SU.

I’m the biggest critic of this guy but you never boo your own guys unless they are dogging it. No evidence he ever dogged it.

I know there are some here that think this is a unique phenomenon in Syracuse only, but it’s a big country full of booing college sports fans out there.

And with fans now footing the bill of player payments, it’s just going to get worse. I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just saying it will happen.

Sounds like Taylor needs to go somewhere smaller, with much less pressure, so he can get his mojo back. He was a mess offensively in so many games this year.

His release was too slow, and his shot is awkward. You can get away with that at lower levels when you a 6-6. Once he got rushed a bit it fell off.

But he did some good things that many didnt notice. He boxed out, he played positional basketball well.. He passed the ball.

Just a bit too small to play the game with his skill set where we needed him.. 6-10 he could have real solid.

His shooting is obviously broken, but his entire offensive game needs to step up. Handle, explosion to the rim, etc.

That said he did the stuff players hate (especially our guys on this year's team) - box out, defend, facilitate, hustle. Sadly in the modern era those traits are not easy to replace.

Wishing him the best, he worked his ass off, was a team player and Red never had to worry about his attitude or off court antics. I really hope he kills it at his next stop. He is one of a handful of truly team players currently on the roster.

I always thought that Red should have switched him and Q up. I truly believe that Taylor would have been much better coming in off the bench vs starting. Take some pressure off him.
Kind of odd that the two guys first in the portal are the same guys battling each other for playing time.I get it that JT was probably sick of the bashing but what big time program wouldn’t bash him the way he shot the ball?Q’s situation seems like he was given the talk by Red.

Shooters gotta shoot. Can’t get out of a slump by not shooting. Can’t shoot without the ball. And yeah Mintz certainly avoided distributing to JT at times even when wide open.
I can't even count how many times he had wide open looks and refused to shoot. Why pass a teammate the ball if he refuses to even look at the basket?

I can't even count how many times he had wide open looks and refused to shoot. Why pass a teammate the ball if he refuses to even look at the basket?
It became a mental thing at the end. He used to make every shot at practice and couldn't even do that anymore. I watched him in the ND game during warm ups -- missed everything. Felt so bad for him. He's a phenomenal kid who put in so much extra work. Sometimes a change of scenery and a reset is just the best for everyone involved. I will be pulling hard for him wherever he goes.

I won't sugarcoat it

He played out of position, and struggled.

The makeup of the team and what was asked of him just weren't a fit.

He was challenged and could not meet the challenge.

He will do well on a lower level, playing in his natural spot in a role more suited for his skill set.

Almost like Girard playing out of position for us and seemingly doing well and being more comfortable and natural with a change of scenery and role expectations.

Very, very few can say in college they were a starting forward for a division one university !
My hope for him is that he can find the perfect spot to finish off his college experience !

I won't sugarcoat it

He played out of position, and struggled.

The makeup of the team and what was asked of him just weren't a fit.

He was challenged and could not meet the challenge.

He will do well on a lower level, playing in his natural spot in a role more suited for his skill set.

Almost like Girard playing out of position for us and seemingly doing well and being more comfortable and natural with a change of scenery and role expectations.
Agree with everything you said here, but I wonder if Coach Autry and staff wanted to keep him and work through these issues and how much our fan bases negativity towards his results played a factor in this decision. Hopefully the guy we bring in his spot can replace the work ethic and effort that he brought to this program even if this guy produces better results. It appears that in the portal we aren’t just looking to add better talent, but guys that have good work ethic and give it their all like JT.

Really had high hopes for this kid being a great 4 year player after the start to his Freshman year. Not sure what happened but he has 0 confidence right now.

He is so stiff, robotic like when he shoots. It doesn’t even look natural, he is just overthinking everything. I think a change and fresh start will do him well.

Can’t help but wonder if something happened between him and Benny. Or some type of team division/animosity because he was starting over Benny. All speculation, I just can’t remember seeing a player regressing so much from his freshman year to his sophomore year.
Don’t see any relation to Benny, Benny had other issues and Coach Red makes the decision on who starts.

Very sorry to see him go. Unfortunately, a made shot or two might have turned everything around. There's no argument his confidence was gone, but he played better defense then ever given credit for and he hustled and moved the damn ball around. He's gone, but wherever he ends up I think it will all come together again. Some team, possibly at the same level, will snap him up, he'll play his natural position and his shot will return. I wish him nothing but the best and would hope that those who booed him or rooted for him to go would realize that when all is said and done it's just a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom