Kansas City!! | Syracusefan.com

Kansas City!!

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
Geez, what a great game! Even George Brett was rubbing his head by the end of it! I've always loved "small ball." Five of seven stolen bases scored. And what great comebacks! A playoff game for the ages. Man, I LOVE baseball!

Single-elimination baseball is exciting! I'm sure the "baseball is boring" crowd didn't see it.

donniesyracuse said:
Single-elimination baseball is exciting! I'm sure the "baseball is boring" crowd didn't see it.

It ended at almost 1:00, I'm sure most people didn't see it

I live just outside of Kansas City. Wow what an exciting time for the city!

I love baseball too. It was my first love growing up because it was the one sport that I could really understand the strategy and what was really going on out there without being able to play myself.

Im not into baseball, I watch playoff baseball kind of like how I watch playoff hockey. I think single elimination WC games are more gimmicky than the NCAA Tournament but that game was definitely exciting.

I am hopeful that baseball will speed up the game. Lot of good proposals.

That was a truly great game. I loved the enthusiasm of that crowd, and no doubt the Royals players fed off of it.

I was a very young kid living in KC when the Athletics moved from Philadelphia to KC. I was a big baseball fan (still am). My dad took me to see the KC A's play the Chicago White Sox. Those early KC A's teams were pretty pathetic. How pathetic?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E

White Sox 4 7 3 2 0 6 3 4 0 29 29 1
Athletics
3 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 6 6 3

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KC1/KC1195504230.shtml

I only lived in the Kansas City area for 2 years, but I rooted for the A's until they moved to Oakland. Poetic justice last night.

I am hopeful that baseball will speed up the game. Lot of good proposals.

They're never going to be able to treat the biggest problem - the number of commercials. NYY-RedSox games were lasting 4 hours in a lot of cases because of them. But MLB stands to lose too much $$$ by cutting back on those.

They're never going to be able to treat the biggest problem - the number of commercials. NYY-RedSox games were lasting 4 hours in a lot of cases because of them. But MLB stands to lose too much $$$ by cutting back on those.
Perhaps, but it is just so aggravating to see batters stepping out of the box every pitch to grab their crotch or fix their gloves. That could certainly be eliminated as well as pitch timing. I prefer to watch the LL world series because they just play.

Perhaps, but it is just so aggravating to see batters stepping out of the box every pitch to grab their crotch or fix their gloves. That could certainly be eliminated as well as pitch timing. I prefer to watch the LL world series because they just play.

Longer games usually translate to greater concession sales, too, I'd wager.

The glove tinkering is annoying. Nomar was flat-out neurotic, and if you ever watched Mike Hargrove at the plate, you'd know why he was christened, "The Human Rain Delay."

Exactly. Cut 60 seconds of ads between each half inning and you've shaved off about 20 minutes. But that will never fly, as you say.

I also don't know what you can do about the way games are managed in the late innings these days; that's another huge factor in the length of games. The frequent mound visits and pitching changes add untold extra minutes that simply weren't there as recently as 25 or 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Exactly. Cut 60 seconds of ads between each half inning and you've shaved off about 20 minutes. But that will never fly, as you say.

I also don't know what you can do about the way games are managed in the late innings these days; that's another huge factor in the length of games. The frequent mound visits and pitching changes add untold extra minutes that simply weren't there as recently as 25 or 30 years ago.

Your second point is right on. The bullpen specialization and constant pitching changes really adds time to the length of the game. I love baseball but even I get antsy if things drag on too long

Went to the game Tuesday (I live in the area) and it was just incredible. There was pure delirium over the team cracking the postseason for the first time since just before I was born, and especially the way they did it. The national attention has been nice, but ever since they clinched a playoff spot a couple weeks ago, there's been a buzz around the city that I've never sensed before.

Longer games usually translate to greater concession sales, too, I'd wager.

The glove tinkering is annoying. Nomar was flat-out neurotic, and if you ever watched Mike Hargrove at the plate, you'd know why he was christened, "The Human Rain Delay."

Difference with Nomar, and yeah, I'm a Red Sox fan, was that he never stepped all the way out of the box to adjust the gloves. And he was quicker at it than most. But Ortiz steps all the way out, and he isn't exactly quick about it. I don't understand the adjustment on pitches that weren't swung at.

Now about the speeding up the game thing, I concur with most, but really wonder why the same level of teeth gnashing doesn't happen for NFL football. There are about a million percent more commercials, and unless the team on offense is playing hurry up, there doesn't seem to be much more than sporadic action at best. It gets downright BORING!

I love when other people do my research.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

That's why the big fat guys actually make good football players.

Uggh - and baseball isn't much better.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323740804578597932341903720

Conclusion - both sports make for excellent background noise for a Sunday afternoon nap on the couch.

But this at least tells my why I like watching hoops so much more than the other two.

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=475

I love when other people do my research.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

That's why the big fat guys actually make good football players.

Uggh - and baseball isn't much better.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323740804578597932341903720

Conclusion - both sports make for excellent background noise for a Sunday afternoon nap on the couch.

But this at least tells my why I like watching hoops so much more than the other two.

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=475

LOL! Did you know there's only about 4 minutes of activity in a 4 1/2 hour round of golf?

LOL! Did you know there's only about 4 minutes of activity in a 4 1/2 hour round of golf?

Yes. That's why I still tell people I'm not old enough to play golf yet. As long as I can carry my fat gut up and down the basketball court for a couple hours 2-3 times a week, I'm sticking with an actual sport.

Yes. That's why I still tell people I'm not old enough to play golf yet. As long as I can carry my fat gut up and down the basketball court for a couple hours 2-3 times a week, I'm sticking with an actual sport.
If you walk the average course, you'll actually end up logging something in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 miles. If you carry your own bag and the terrain is rolling, it can actually be a pretty good workout, assuming you don't cancel it all out at the 19th hole. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom