Kansas is an example why the college basketball regular season doesn't really matter | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Kansas is an example why the college basketball regular season doesn't really matter

This may be the strangest thread in the history of this board. If Kansas fans our frustrated then we should all just shoot ourselves in the head.

They won a title in 2008, runner up in 2012, and have been in the elite 8 5 times in the past 10 years.

I would take what they've done the past decade over what we've done in a heart beat, all while winning their league every year.

You guys kill me sometimes.
Is Self an overachiever or an underachiever? We know he is a great recruiter but is he just an average X and O guy.

So perhaps we should be grateful to this year's team for not only making the regular season count but for making it go down to the last game of the season.
Win or likely face the NIT.
Thanks so much for the excitement.

Is Self an overachiever or an underachiever? We know he is a great recruiter but is he just an average X and O guy.

He took a Oral Roberts team that won five games the season before he got there and got them into the postseason for the first time in more than a decade. He made Tulsa a thirty win team. He won the Big Ten with Lon Krugers players. I'm not sure he's an "average" X and O guy.

Hell I don't think his recruiting has been THAT great at Kansas.

He took a Oral Roberts team that won five games the season before he got there and got them into the postseason for the first time in more than a decade. He made Tulsa a thirty win team. He won the Big Ten with Lon Krugers players. I'm not sure he's an "average" X and O guy.

Hell I don't think his recruiting has been THAT great at Kansas.
He also left Deron Williams for Bruce Webber. The 2005 Illinois team that got to the NC game was all Self players.

He got Tulsa to the Elite 8 in 2000.

I think he is a great coach and will make the HOF but my question is with the advantage he has had at Kansas is 1 NC and 2 Final Fours in 13 years where he has been a top 4 seed every year good enough?

Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and Syracuse are the only college teams to have a player drafted in the NBA draft 1st round the last 5 years. He is getting talent every year.

Another outright conference title for Kansas. Can they make the Final Four this year?
Who knows? It's a difficult proposition under the best of circumstances for any team.

(I actually thought this was a new thread and didn't realize it wasn't until I was half way into it. The debate over how to define success is an eternal one.)

There is a direct correlation between the seed you have in the NCAA Tournament, and your statistical likelihood of making the Final Four and winning a national title. 1 seeds have the best chance, followed by 2 seeds, followed by 3 seeds, etc. To pick Kansas as one isolated example to imply otherwise doesn't make sense. The tournament is obviously a bit of a crapshoot, but the regular season is very important in terms of playing the percentages.

I think he is a great coach and will make the HOF but my question is with the advantage he has had at Kansas is 1 NC and 2 Final Fours in 13 years where he has been a top 4 seed every year good enough?

It seems like more people around here are also asking that. He's certainly not on the hot seat, but I think a lot of people would be disappointed around here if there's not another Final 4 in the very near future. You have to remember this is a program that received a donation of $22 million for a facility to house the rules of basketball! The rules!And then you add in those new dorms.

Another outright conference title for Kansas. Can they make the Final Four this year?
Therein lies the rub. If by some miracle we make another run and get to the Final4, and KU gets knocked out in the 2nd round...then who had the better season?
Sure, overall they'd have the REGULAR season accolades, but CBB is ALL ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT!! The season starts on Selection Sunday. The regular season's main function is to get you into the Dance. Other than that, who cares how many games or conference titles they win? If we win a 2nd NC this year, IMO we'd have the more "successful" season. That's just the way it is.:noidea:

He also left Deron Williams for Bruce Webber. The 2005 Illinois team that got to the NC game was all Self players.

He got Tulsa to the Elite 8 in 2000.

Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and Syracuse are the only college teams to have a player drafted in the NBA draft 1st round the last 5 years. He is getting talent every year.

I think they would be very dumb to force him out.

A sample of 13 years could just be some bad luck (or it may not be). You have to be very careful when making an assessment, because it could be luck or could it be him at this point. I'm not on either side.

This year they have the regional in Kansas City, so it is all set up for them to at least make the final 4. He will need to deliver over the next few years I would think.

This year they have the regional in Kansas City, so it is all set up for them to at least make the final 4. He will need to deliver over the next few years I would think.

Roy pulled that choke job in 1995. SU could've benefited if Moten didn't call the freaken timeout!

They have mature enough guards now to be able to get to F4 even though they have no inside game. The guards and Josh Jackson should be enough to get them there. Self will be in the HOF someday and even JB has said so. Self has nothing to prove and has done an excellent job there and everywhere he has been. Some years the Big 12 has been very strong. He needs no validation for that, obviously. I'm a little disappointed in some of the conduct of a LOT of the KU players off the court this season especially. That is my only criticism of Kansas really.

They have mature enough guards now to be able to get to F4 even though they have no inside game. The guards and Josh Jackson should be enough to get them there. Self will be in the HOF someday and even JB has said so. Self has nothing to prove and has done an excellent job there and everywhere he has been. Some years the Big 12 has been very strong. He needs no validation for that, obviously. I'm a little disappointed in some of the conduct of a LOT of the KU players off the court this season especially. That is my only criticism of Kansas really.

Very good assessment. Landen Lucas is okay but they really miss Azubuike for depth in the inside. And the off the court stuff has truly gotten to a ridiculous level this year. It's one thing after another in the local newspaper and local news at night.

Very good assessment. Landen Lucas is okay but they really miss Azubuike for depth in the inside. And the off the court stuff has truly gotten to a ridiculous level this year. It's one thing after another in the local newspaper and local news at night.

Yup. That Carlton Bragg has been kind of a bust in general on/off the court, no? He's originally from my area here (Cleveland). BTW, I noticed you were from KC. GREAT place. I'm there every summer for a few days. Been to Boulevard a bunch and all of the bbq spots EXCEPT for Q39. Good? I understand it is more of a modern take on BBQ but all my friends who I trust love it.

4 other schools have MADE the last 13 NCAA tournaments. Kansas has won their league 13 years in a row. That's amazing. The fifth longest streak (aside from Kansas) for consecutive tournament appearances is 6, less than half of 13.

Yup. That Carlton Bragg has been kind of a bust in general on/off the court, no? He's originally from my area here (Cleveland). BTW, I noticed you were from KC. GREAT place. I'm there every summer for a few days. Been to Boulevard a bunch and all of the bbq spots EXCEPT for Q39. Good? I understand it is more of a modern take on BBQ but all my friends who I trust love it.

I might consider Bragg similar to Roberson so far as far as just not living up to his potential, but Carlton has added off court problems as an added bonus. It may not be the best comparison but it came to mind.

As far as Q39, one is opening in Overland Park soon (Or maybe already has) so it will be right in my area . I've heard awesome things about it also and my dad has already told me he wants to go there with me. I'll let you know after I do!

I might consider Bragg similar to Roberson so far as far as just not living up to his potential, but Carlton has added off court problems as an added bonus. It may not be the best comparison but it came to mind.

As far as Q39, one is opening in Overland Park soon (Or maybe already has) so it will be right in my area . I've heard awesome things about it also and my dad has already told me he wants to go there with me. I'll let you know after I do!

Cool man. Let me know! Yeah, I thought of Roberson as well in terms of on the court disappointment like Bragg. I still love Joe's for bbq.

Cool man. Let me know! Yeah, I thought of Roberson as well in terms of on the court disappointment like Bragg. I still love Joe's for bbq.

Somehow I remembered this discussion, but went to Q39 for the first time for my dad's birthday today. The brisket was excellent - very tender. My dad and I both though Joe's had better ribs but Q39 weren't bad. The sauce was a bit tangier than Joe's.. I thought it was good but my dad is real sensitive to anything the least bit spicy so he likes Joe's sauce better.

Syracuse basketball loves drama. Sadly it is a little Kardashian esque.

2012 was the worst. Our fanbase was miserable during a 30-1 regular season. I tend to be fair when things are good I am uber positive but when I am frustrated I let it been known. That 2012 season drove me nuts with our fans complaining about close wins.

We couldn't appreciate 30-1.

That was my favorite season I've watched. So many memories.

I was thinking this might be the year Kansas might not be the champs.

But they went and won at West Virginia tonight. That offsets the hole they placed themselves in by losing at home to TCU, and they are back in sole possession of first.

Whether the Big 12 will under perform or not. expect them to have 5 teams in the top 5 seed lines.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom