Kansas Possible in 17-18 Season | Syracusefan.com

Kansas Possible in 17-18 Season

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
According to Toledo BB Coach:
"During the 2017-2018 season, Toledo is playing in a tournament that will include games at Syracuse and at Kansas as well as two home games"

Ok for those early season tourney experts...what tourney do you think this is? Toledo is too good of a team (IMHO) to be the designated home game...

Maybe I missed it, but do we have a tournament for next year yet? I didn't see us in that link and I'm not sure there is many more tournaments, that doesnt seem possible.

We have a game in Brooklyn against South Carolina. Not sure if it's part of an official tourney.

Here is Syracuse's recent history with pre-season tournaments:

1998 Maui Classic (1st)
1999 Carrier Classic (1st)
2000 Great Alaska Shootout (1st)
2001 Preseason NIT (1st)
2002 2K Classic (Showcase format)
2004 2K Classic (1st)/Jimmy V Classic
2005 2k Classic (2nd)
2006 Jimmy V Classic (2nd?)
2007 Preseason NIT (3rd)
2008 CBE Classic (1st)
2009 2K Classic (1st)
2010 Jimmy V Classic (1st)
2011 Preseason NIT (1st)
2012 Carrier Classic (1st)
2013 Maui Classic (1st)
2014 2K Classic
2015 Battle 4 Atlantis (1st)

Some thoughts:

Don't think we played in one in 2003. Kind of strange given we were the defending national champions.

SU played in the 2K Classic two years in a row because it was re-branded from the Coaches vs Cancer right around then. I think there is a rule now that you can't in a pre-season tournament more than every 4 years.

SU is overdue for the preseason NIT. I expect they will appear in that again next season. If not that, then I would expect to see SU booked for the Jimmy V Classic, which will also get them games at MSG.

SU opened the 2003 season with a loss to Memphis in Coaches vs. Cancer at MSG. But it wasn't a tourney.

I bet this tournament is in NYC area. Coaches vs. Cancer is at MSG now and Preseason NIT is at Barclay's. Both of those tournaments now automatically send the top 4 teams to the NYC area.

If we do a Jimmy V Classic that is the atmosphere you play a former Big East rival at MSG either Villanova or UConn at MSG would be fine games.

SU opened the 2003 season with a loss to Memphis in Coaches vs. Cancer at MSG. But it wasn't a tourney.

We played Memphis in 2002-2003. We also played Georgia Tech, Missouri, and Michigan St. that year in the non conference. The Michigan St game was in February.

2003-2004 was the 2nd year in a row we played Michigan State. We played them at home that year, and went to Missouri in the middle of the Big East schedule in January. I think that these were the last times we played a non-conference game in the middle of the conference season. The rest of the non-conference was filled with cupcakes. We have a stronger schedule now than we did then.

Meant to say we played -- and lost to -- Memphis the year SU won the NC.

SU is overdue for the preseason NIT. I expect they will appear in that again next season. If not that, then I would expect to see SU booked for the Jimmy V Classic, which will also get them games at MSG.

2016 Preseason NIT will have WVU, Florida State, Illinois and Temple. I believe it returns to MSG in 2017.

SU plays South Carolina in the Barclays next year, anyhow, so no need to play in the NIT as well.

All the major tourneys have announced their fields, except I couldn't find anything on the CBE. Maybe SU and Kansas (and Toledo) are in it next year, 2016-2017, and the coach was wrong (though which tourney would have a Toledo type play at SU and at KU, while also hosting 2??)? Otherwise, it doesn't seem like we're in any early season tourney...

2016 Preseason NIT will have WVU, Florida State, Illinois and Temple. I believe it returns to MSG in 2017.

SU plays South Carolina in the Barclays next year, anyhow, so no need to play in the NIT as well.

All the major tourneys have announced their fields, except I couldn't find anything on the CBE. Maybe SU and Kansas (and Toledo) are in it next year, 2016-2017, and the coach was wrong (though which tourney would have a Toledo type play at SU and at KU, while also hosting 2??)? Otherwise, it doesn't seem like we're in any early season tourney...

The tidbit said not next year but 17-18 season.

I'm not sure I want to play Kansas. We got the important one in 2003 and then again in the Sprint Center in 2008 in the CBE Classic. As someone who has to live in Kansas with all these Jayhawks, I'd prefer to quit while we're ahead!

The tidbit said not next year but 17-18 season.
Could well be true for Syracuse, but it isn't happening for Kansas, at least not of the tournament in question is the CBE.

I don't see why SU would want to play in the CBE when they could play in NYC instead.

I'm not sure I want to play Kansas. We got the important one in 2003 and then again in the Sprint Center in 2008 in the CBE Classic. As someone who has to live in Kansas with all these Jayhawks, I'd prefer to quit while we're ahead!
And we beat'em in the '96 regional final at McNichols arena in Denver. They beat us in the tourney in '01. I love playing them, because Denver is basically Kansas fans since no real hoops here. And whenever we are lined up to play them their fans hate it. I was at that CBE Sprint center one in '08. I wouldn't ever want to play there again, didn't like that arena at all.

And we beat'em in the '96 regional final at McNichols arena in Denver. They beat us in the tourney in '01. I love playing them, because Denver is basically Kansas fans since no real hoops here. And whenever we are lined up to play them their fans hate it. I was at that CBE Sprint center one in '08. I wouldn't ever want to play there again, didn't like that arena at all.

I was at the Sprint Center that night also. I guess I didn't have a problem with the arena but that sure was quite a "neutral court" atmosphere.

I was at the Sprint Center that night also. I guess I didn't have a problem with the arena but that sure was quite a "neutral court" atmosphere.
It's just drab gray concrete for such a newer facility and there are blind spots in there if you don't know which tickets to buy and have to sit with that same ugly concrete wall blocking your view, terrible design. But yeah we won it all on my bday and I went down to the court and high fived everyone coming off, very cool night. Ended up across the street in that plaza, that was a cool place. There was all 10 of us SU fans partying together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom