Kayton Samuels | Syracusefan.com

Kayton Samuels

Articles like this have me sipping this once again
orange-kool-aid-new-large-tub-1641-p.jpg

Yea - this has me nervous. either shafers trying to motivate others in the off season or our d line will be in trouble again

I think our DLine is going to be in trouble because there's very little depth, but it doesn't mean Samuels is under performing. They talked about his making play after play last year on the scout team and Shafer compared his work ethic to Bromley. I don't believe they're trying to puff him up.

Raymon coming off injury and Wayne Williams. They moved Johnson inside. Who else is there? The Coleman injury and Sloan quitting is a problem.

I think our DLine is going to be in trouble because there's very little depth, but it doesn't mean Samuels is under performing. They talked about his making play after play last year on the scout team and Shafer compared his work ethic to Bromley. I don't believe they're trying to puff him up.

Raymon coming off injury and Wayne Williams. They moved Johnson inside. Who else is there? The Coleman injury and Sloan quitting is a problem.
I thought the staff moved Slayton inside...did they move Johnson also?

I thought the staff moved Slayton inside...did they move Johnson also?

I think both moved inside then. Johnson is listed at 287 on the roster. So you have Samuels at NT ahead of Raymon and Williams. The DT would be Johnson and Slayton.

Really hope Clark and Cross are ready to go.

I think both moved inside then. Johnson is listed at 287 on the roster. So you have Samuels at NT ahead of Raymon and Williams. The DT would be Johnson and Slayton.

Really hope Clark and Cross are ready to go.
I wonder how healthy WW and JR are?

Might be simply throwing a little praise KS's way, while at the same time, reminding him he has a long way to go.

ya, I deleted my original post because I wasn't sure if it was accurate. I saw on another message board where a poster said that Shafer praised Kayton, but also said he isn't anywhnere near ACC ready. But when I went back and watched the interivew, and read the report I didn't see it, so I wasn't sure if I was reading the post wrong, or just missed where Shafer actually said that, so I thought it would be better just to delete my post. Either way it's obvious he is showing signs of improvement.

I do remember seeing Shafer mention Chris Slayton several times as someone who is performing well at DT. Sounds like he is guaranteed to be in the rotation.

Down in the comments Mink said that its Raymon & Samuels getting 1st team reps with Wayne & Slayton getting 2nd team. Hopefully those 4 can allow Thompson & Zeek to stay outside.

Thompson I hope stays outside and I think he will. If Johnson's topping out at 290 he can move inside. We have some good DEnds coming in.

I hate subjects that are just the name of a player - always assume it's going to say out for the season, or decided to transfer before I click it - glad this one and the Steve Ishmael one were finally positive

I'm actually very bullish about our defensive line. Thompson is a potential force, as if Raymon if he stays healthy. Depth will be key, but our top players at the starting positions are very good.

SUFan44 said:
I'm actually very bullish about our defensive line. Thompson is a potential force, as if Raymon if he stays healthy. Depth will be key, but our top players at the starting positions are very good.

Same. I think we will be better at DE, or at very worst have an improved pass rush. DT should be able to match last years production considering it wasn't anything spectacular. Give me a healthy Raymon, and Williams, combined with Slayton, Samuels, and Johnson and you can have a solid group.

In fact as a whole I don't expect our defense to take a step backwards. I realize they are young, but the athleticism, and overall speed should be an improvement. Just look at linebacker. Franklin, hodge (JT), Bennett has a chance to be very good, while not missing a best athletically.

Even in the secondary it's the same story... Young, but athletic. Whigham and Morgan bring veteran leadership, and the 3 rising Freshman have been drawing praise from day 1. Cordy seems to be really standing out, just like he is last year when given a chance. Even at safety Scissum, mans Williams bring a ton of talent the coaches have raved about.

It's a young group, but a ton of potential.

Same. I think we will be better at DE, or at very worst have an improved pass rush. DT should be able to match last years production considering it wasn't anything spectacular. Give me a healthy Raymon, and Williams, combined with Slayton, Samuels, and Johnson and you can have a solid group.

In fact as a whole I don't expect our defense to take a step backwards. I realize they are young, but the athleticism, and overall speed should be an improvement. Just look at linebacker. Franklin, hodge (JT), Bennett has a chance to be very good, while not missing a best athletically.

Even in the secondary it's the same story... Young, but athletic. Whigham and Morgan bring veteran leadership, and the 3 rising Freshman have been drawing praise from day 1. Cordy seems to be really standing out, just like he is last year when given a chance. Even at safety Scissum, mans Williams bring a ton of talent the coaches have raved about.

It's a young group, but a ton of potential.

I worry about cornerback. Very unproven and there will be some lumps taken. Gotta hope we can get to the QB before a lot of teams can take advantage. Especially early in the year. Reddish was very, very good last year. Biggest loss from last year, IMO, if not a tie between him and Hickey.

ya, I deleted my original post because I wasn't sure if it was accurate. I saw on another message board where a poster said that Shafer praised Kayton, but also said he isn't anywhnere near ACC ready. But when I went back and watched the interivew, and read the report I didn't see it, so I wasn't sure if I was reading the post wrong, or just missed where Shafer actually said that, so I thought it would be better just to delete my post. Either way it's obvious he is showing signs of improvement.

I do remember seeing Shafer mention Chris Slayton several times as someone who is performing well at DT. Sounds like he is guaranteed to be in the rotation.
SUathletics has Slayton listed at 264 lbs and 6-4. Hope he's ACC size and speed coming into the fall.

SUathletics has Slayton listed at 264 lbs and 6-4. Hope he's ACC size and speed coming into the fall.
I saw Slayton up close and personel last week. He is the best looking DT Ive seen at Cuse in awhile ( in terms of appearance). He's an athletic 285. Very muscular build, not much fat on him at all. You will see next Saturday.

I saw Slayton up close and personel last week. He is the best looking DT Ive seen at Cuse in awhile ( in terms of appearance). He's an athletic 285. Very muscular build, not much fat on him at all. You will see next Saturday.
Looking forward to seeing him busting up some plays thru the middle!