Kelley and Desir...can they get PT at safety or maybe the corner? | Syracusefan.com

Kelley and Desir...can they get PT at safety or maybe the corner?

SmilinBob

Living Legend
Given the lack of depth at the corner, will either of these two get any reps there? I suppose when SU faces a lot of 3 or 4 man wr sets they will basically be playing a corner but just curious on what you all think of them. Kelley is very fast and I love his potential and I always wanted to see Desir get more reps...wonder on what impact these two will have, especially if Eskridge continues to struggle with injuries. No doubt they will get their reps on D and the better they play the more reps the young guys will get on offense (not switch) as they can stay at wr.

Given the lack of depth at the corner, will either of these two get any reps there? I suppose when SU faces a lot of 3 or 4 man wr sets they will basically be playing a corner but just curious on what you all think of them. Kelley is very fast and I love his potential and I always wanted to see Desir get more reps...wonder on what impact these two will have, especially if Eskridge continues to struggle with injuries. No doubt they will get their reps on D and the better they play the more reps the young guys will get on offense (not switch) as they can stay at wr.

I think when Morgan was moved from safety to corner, that was end of the moves of safeties to corner back. I expect Kelly, Eskridge, Desir and Scissum will be left at safety. If anything, maybe George will go back to corner.

That being said, we might see all four of these players in clear passing situations when the offense goes to 4 WR sets. I think all will get their share of reps next season.

That's my thinking as well Tom. Both will be seniors in the fall and imo if there is going to be a true freshman playing it'll be in the secondary. I suppose an LB could peek out there as well...not a full time gig at corner/safety but a coverage guy as well, especially if they go 3-4.

I think when Morgan was moved from safety to corner, that was end of the moves of safeties to corner back. I expect Kelly, Eskridge, Desir and Scissum will be left at safety. If anything, maybe George will go back to corner.

That being said, we might see all four of these players in clear passing situations when the offense goes to 4 WR sets. I think all will get their share of reps next season.

Heard his name a few times Saturday at the corner position.

I want to say that I really love this kid. When he came to SU he was a starter/got a lot of run and the best we had. He has since been recruited over and stuck with the program (height really hurts him). I hope that his hard work is rewarded this season and he gets a bit of run cause he is just that awesome/improved and not because we are thin at CB.

I expect both to remain at safety, but play on passing downs as Tomcat described above. We'll have three experienced CBs returning in the fall--Whigham, Reddish, and Morgan. They'll need at least two others from the freshman class to emerge as reserves. My money's on Dowels being one of them.

Kelly & Desir will both play -- a lot -- and ideally they rotate at safety and both play on passing downs.

The wild card in the secondary, every year, is injuries. That, plus whether any one of the frosh DBs is ready to step in right away at CB if one of the starters goes down.
Wouldn't hurt to give Desir some reps at CB, to add some flexibility.

safeties are established. One of the freshman corners will be in some packages, his time
will increase if one of the corners goes down

Anyone know the typical numbers of corners and safetys on the "active" roster? Granted...some may be able to interchange in a sense but looking at the spring roster it seems the safety's are a bit thin as well. I didn't like the tackling (even though I'm hoping it was the talent at wr that was the reason) on the bubble screens and to be honest I'm not sure how many lb's were in that mix as well. I realize that some were held out due to injury but still...tackling has to be done especially if you have a lack of speed.

we have one all acc safety. 2 above average safties. 1 up in coming. and 3 coming in August

we have one all acc safety. 2 above average safties. 1 up in coming. and 3 coming in August

Double post...Scissum has nice size and he'll be needed this year to contribute no doubt.

Scissum will be a redshirt freshman in the fall, correct?
yes redshirt freshman. I was impress with his tackling on Saturday. That wasnt necessarily his strength in H.S. looks like he improved that area. he always had above average cover skills. Partcularly in zone.

We will be good at safety. But who are the 3 coming? Naes, Rodney Williams and ?
Prater isn't going to make it is he...and Dawson either right? I assume Cordy to be a CB. Surely Dowels and Hudson have to be CB's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom