Kendall Moore to transfer to Texas | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kendall Moore to transfer to Texas

the coach has said he wants to use a TE, but you need one that can catch and run just a little. for as few times as we use a TE you can get a Oline dude to handle the blocking in the short yardage sets, maybe a Rb if we had one at 220 could handle some of the other sets too?

with our offense a TE is more likely blocking a DB/LB than a DE.
maybe they'll do what baylor did and find a super fat guy with hands for a handful of plays

tight end is the last thing to worry about. if you have one, fine. if you don't, this offense doesn't need it.

That's right. A dynamic TE who can create mismatches can be a strong weapon in this system, but the system isn't based around having a stud TE.

But hopefully Pierce is a stud, and gives us another weapon in the arsenal.

The old school view of the TE is what people need to get over. The CUSE te is going to block a little and split out a lot. If you want to work the middle of the field you use the running back or the slot receiver along with a te.

Agree, the TE in college FB will soon be extinct like the fullback. We can play with big recievers flexed out in the slot like "H" backs if need be. The game has changed.

Agree, the TE in college FB will soon be extinct like the fullback. We can play with big recievers flexed out in the slot like "H" backs if need be. The game has changed.
Not in the B10, the all boring league.

I could not disagree more. Gronk for one. Most dominant player (when healthy) in football. But more importantly, versatility and athleticism will continue to be embraced. Why shun a player or position that can aid the running and passing games?

And TEs that don't work out can easily be converted to a multitude of other positions (de, lb, ol, safety, etc). Also can wreak havoc on specials.

TE ain't going anywhere anytime soon, pro or college.

I could not disagree more. Gronk for one. Most dominant player (when healthy) in football. But more importantly, versatility and athleticism will continue to be embraced. Why shun a player or position that can aid the running and passing games?

And TEs that don't work out can easily be converted to a multitude of other positions (de, lb, ol, safety, etc). Also can wreak havoc on specials.

don't shun them but don't waste your time looking for unicorns either

I was speaking of college fb only. Name 3 decent tight ends in college football this past year. I watch tons of college games and just dont see tight ends catching pop passes or seem routes like 10-20 years ago.

I was speaking of college fb only. Name 3 decent tight ends in college football this past year. I watch tons of college games and just dont see tight ends catching pop passes or seem routes like 10-20 years ago.
good news - there are plenty of great future NFL tight ends in college.
bad news - they're playing basketball

gonzales, gates, julius thomas, graham, the dallas guy, the chiefs guys

Look no further than our own ACC Conference:

Hikutini (L'ville) 49 receptions 13.4/catch
Hodges (Vteck) 43 14.9
Leggett (Clem) 38 16.8
Njoku (Miami) 38 17.2

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/stats/playersort/NCAAF/TE

Contrary to all the wisdom shared here, a quality TE is a VERY important part of most college FB offensive schemes. Can an OC/offense be effective without one...probably, if they have very good WR's.

Since HCDB has stated on more than one occasion that running the ball on offense and stopping the run on defense are the keys to winning, I think it's safe to assume we have yet to see how important a quality TE is in his offense.

I can't wait to watch the match-up nightmares that Pierce creates.

Hodges (Vteck) 43 14.9
Leggett (Clem) 38 16.8
Njoku (Miami) 38 17.2

Source: Player Statistics

Contrary to all the wisdom shared here, a quality TE is a VERY important part of most college FB offensive schemes. Can an OC/offense be effective without one...probably, if they have very good WR's.

Since HCDB has stated on more than one occasion that running the ball on offense and stopping the run on defense are the keys to winning, I think it's safe to assume we have yet to see how important a quality TE is in his offense.

you can run the ball just fine without TE. oh my gosh. baylor didn't use a TE much when he was there and the ran the ball like crazy. bowling green barely used a TE

Hodges (Vteck) 43 14.9
Leggett (Clem) 38 16.8
Njoku (Miami) 38 17.2

Source: Player Statistics

I think the caveat is the size of those guys. Hikuitin is 248, Hodges 245 and Njoku 245. They're not big traditional TE's.

Leggett is 260 and a kid that big who can run is the unicorn. (He was only 220 in HS). Much like Gronkowski.

We can recruit guys and make them 245lb TE's for sure.

I think the caveat is the size of those guys. Hikuitin is 248, Hodges 245 and Njoku 245. They're not big traditional TE's.

Leggett is 260 and a kid that big who can run is the unicorn. (He was only 220 in HS). Much like Gronkowski.

We can recruit guys and make them 245lb TE's for sure.
I agree and never meant to imply that you needed a TE with OT size. I've always liked the way Stanford utilizes their TE's in the passing scheme. I think Pierce (230) and Hackett (223) are both from that mold. You might even see Custis get some run from the slot/wing as well.

you can run the ball just fine without TE. oh my gosh. baylor didn't use a TE much when he was there and the ran the ball like crazy. bowling green barely used a TE

Agree, all a TE does sometimes is bring another guy into the box.

Agree, all a TE does sometimes is bring another guy into the box.
We need TEs, especially inside the 10 yard line. The consistent difference between getting 7 points vs 3 will soon be the difference between 8 or 6 wins.

We are going to score some points the next five years under Babers, but we are going to be winning or losing games 42-38, not 42-17. That four-point swing 2-3x per game is going to be decisive, one way or another.

And most of those TDs from inside the 10 are going to come from the running game, or as a result of the threat of a running game. And a few catches from the TE posting up on the goal line. We need a viable TE under both scenarios.

O.J Howard does amazing things for Alabama, especially inside the red zone. Having a TE that can reach up and grab a pass thrown well over the heads of inside LBs is a good thing to have.
alabama is full of unicorns

We need TEs, especially inside the 10 yard line. The consistent difference between getting 7 points vs 3 will soon be the difference between 8 or 6 wins.

We are going to score some points the next five years under Babers, but we are going to be winning or losing games 42-38, not 42-17. That four-point swing 2-3x per game is going to be decisive, one way or another.

And most of those TDs from inside the 10 are going to come from the running game, or as a result of the threat of a running game. And a few catches from the TE posting up on the goal line. We need a viable TE under both scenarios.

We need height in tbe red zone and that can also be accomplished with guys like Custis and enoicy. Also, you dont need a TE to run the ball effectively.

O.J Howard does amazing things for Alabama, especially inside the red zone. Having a TE that can reach up and grab a pass thrown well over the heads of inside LBs is a good thing to have.

I agree bcubs but bama also runs offense with old school power eye principles. I am 45 and played and grew up loving a solid TE ( dont take that the wrong way;)). But again, baylor and BG didn't use them. I would like to see it if we do but this offense can roll without one. What's Steven's take? He must have some insight on the staffs value of a TE? Happy Holidays.

I agree bcubs but bama also runs offense with old school power eye principles. I am 45 and played and grew up loving a solid TE ( dont take that the wrong way;)). But again, baylor and BG didn't use them. I would like to see it if we do but this offense can roll without one. What's Steven's take? He must have some insight on the staffs value of a TE? Happy Holidays.

Not much insight at all concerning TEs and skill positions (offense). Lots of "insight" into the OL.

Not much insight at all concerning TEs and skill positions (offense). Lots of "insight" into the OL.

Cool, anything you can share? Is the young talent as promising as we have been led to believe? I know the trend is taller, leaner, yet strong and agile olineman in this system.

We need height in tbe red zone and that can also be accomplished with guys like Custis and enoicy. Also, you dont need a TE to run the ball effectively.
You do on a short field. Cannot spread them out inside the 10, at least not as effectively. The angles associated with the passing game get shrunk and the defense trends closer to the line of scrimmage.

Why do you the no most pass-happy attacks struggle as they get closer to the goal line?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom