Kenny Anderson to tell all | Syracusefan.com

Kenny Anderson to tell all

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
His book, “Instructions Not Included” where he talks about being sexually abused by two different men at the age of eight will be coming out soon.

He has mentioned that he will talk about his recruitment to Georgia Tech and his time there.

I guess he's been pretty messed up for a while.

Bobby Cremins was asked if he was worried about what Kenny might reveal, he said no.

He just learned two weeks ago about the abuse.

Cremins said he had a great relationship with Jake Curran through their mutual connection to Frank McGuire which helped him land Anderson.

http://nba.si.com/2013/07/26/kenny-anderson-sexual-abuse/

Molloy b-ball star who went pro discloses sexual abuse

'The Penis Monologues' Debut Features Revelation of Sexual Abuse ...

1989-90 Season (26-7)
1989-90%20Team%20Colorweb.jpg

First Row (Sitting L-R): Michael Edwards, Conrad McRae, David Johnson, Stephen Thompson, Derrick Coleman, Tony Scott, Mike Hopkins, Billy Owens
Second Row (Standing L-R): Todd Blumen (Manager), Scott Goldman (Manager), Brenda Kasbar (Manager), Marty Byrnes (Grad Asst.), Wayne Morgan (Asst. Coach), Dave Siock, Rich Manning, Erik Rogers, LeRon Ellis, Jim Boeheim (Head Coach), Bernie Fine (Asst. Coach), Tim Welsh (Asst. Coach)

This is the team he would have been on had he choosen SU. Stevie Thompson, not a point guard at all played the position that year with pint-sized freshman Michael Edwards getting some time. The next season we got Adrian Autry. Anderson stayed at G Tech for two seasons and led them to the final four his first season.

That 89-90 team could have won it all had KA chosen SU.

''But I couldn't cut my body into three,'' he said. ''I couldn't give Syracuse my left arm, North Carolina my right arm and Georgia Tech my body.''

The Recruiting Of Kenny Anderson; Star Stands Firm With His Decision

1989-90 Season (26-7)
1989-90%20Team%20Colorweb.jpg

First Row (Sitting L-R): Michael Edwards, Conrad McRae, David Johnson, Stephen Thompson, Derrick Coleman, Tony Scott, Mike Hopkins, Billy Owens
Second Row (Standing L-R): Todd Blumen (Manager), Scott Goldman (Manager), Brenda Kasbar (Manager), Marty Byrnes (Grad Asst.), Wayne Morgan (Asst. Coach), Dave Siock, Rich Manning, Erik Rogers, LeRon Ellis, Jim Boeheim (Head Coach), Bernie Fine (Asst. Coach), Tim Welsh (Asst. Coach)

This is the team he would have been on had he choosen SU. Stevie Thompson, not a point guard at all played the position that year with pint-sized freshman Michael Edwards getting some time. The next season we got Adrian Autry. Anderson stayed at G Tech for two seasons and led them to the final four his first season.

That 89-90 team could have won it all had KA chosen SU.

''But I couldn't cut my body into three,'' he said. ''I couldn't give Syracuse my left arm, North Carolina my right arm and Georgia Tech my body.''

The Recruiting Of Kenny Anderson; Star Stands Firm With His Decision

I think I still smart over the Kenny Anderson snub than any other recruiting situation we've ever had. That was 10 times worse than the julius hodge fiasco, in large part because the 89-90 team was freaking loaded. They just lacked a point guard to make things hum.

Anderson led GT to the final four his freshman year; I cringe thinking about what he would have been able to do with DC, Owens, Stevie, and Leron.

"The best thing that can be said about the recruiting war that was waged over Anderson was that it was completely legal under NCAA rules.

That is also the worst thing that could be said about it, for, unlike Hurley's recruitment, the chase for Anderson was a shameful example of high-pressure, lowlife toadying and the sort of old-boy-net-work cronyism that determines the fates of a depressing number of teenage athletes every year.

Georgia Tech coach Bobby Cremins, who grew up in the Bronx, saw Anderson play at least 40 times before he even talked to Anderson. "Every time Kenny played, we were there," Cremins says proudly. "I think Kenny liked that."

North Carolina, Syracuse and Georgetown were all believed to have a stronger hold on Anderson's affections than the Yellow Jackets, so Cremins employed a scorched-earth strategy, ingratiating himself with Anderson's mother, his high school coach, even the kid who rolled out the balls at Molloy's practices.

The year before Anderson announced his decision to attend Tech, Cremins decided he liked the work of Molloy student manager Giuseppe Liantonio so much he put him on full scholarship at Georgia Tech. Liantonio provided the Tech coaching staff with regular updates on what Anderson was thinking and saying back in Queens.

North Carolina was also getting regular reports. Its link was Vincent Smith, the older brother of former Tar Heel star Kenny. Vincent became a volunteer assistant to Molloy coach Jack Curran (a close personal friend Of North Carolina coach Dean Smith) when Anderson enrolled at the school. "Vincent took me under his wing," Anderson says.

Georgetown had been Anderson's first choice, but when coach John Thompson failed to pay a personal visit to Anderson's home, Anderson ruled out the Hoyas. Cremins won Anderson over by promising the one thing most other coaches refuse to negotiate—a starting position. " Coach Cremins is going to let me run the team," Anderson said while he was still a high school senior.

Cremins insists that he has never guaranteed a player a starting job, but it is well known that the high profile of his freshmen—five ACC rookies of the year in eight seasons—has helped recruiting. "Bobby sells opportunities," says Kevin Cantwell, Cremins's associate head coach.

Joan Anderson certainly liked Cremins better than she liked Dean Smith. "All I heard him talk about was what Kenny could do for Carolina," she says. "I didn't hear anything about what Carolina could do for Kenny."

She also wasn't all that hot about Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. "He was too cold," she says. "His town's too cold, and he's cold."

Read more in the SI Vault

I'll never forget seeing him play pick-up at Austin Park, one of my hometown courts. Never saw someone up close like that, who seemed faster than any other player while he had the ball in his hands and they didn't. If you could take a picture of every onlooker, that jaw-dropping look.
500px-Aladdin-disneyscreencaps.com-9058.jpg

Anderson was my age, went to a rival high school.

Every game Kenny played he had this sorta manager that stood off by himself. Name escapes me. He's show up to one game in a Cuse Starter jacket, everyone buzzed he was going Cuse. Next game UNC starter jacket, etc, etc...the whole thing was really creepy.

FWIW everyone in Queens thought UNC or Cuse. Shame...

Coleman, Owens, and Anderson would've been at the minimum, 3 of the top 10 players in the country on the same team. Plus Thompson who was obviously really good too.

Throw in if Matt Roe had not transferred after 89, and he would've provided a needed outside shooting threat and you're possibly looking at an undefeated team!

Regardless, I watched this game and saw this happen, and then tried to get this move down in the driveway against a "ghost defender"with very limited success. Anderson was one of the best college guards I've ever seen.

I met a guy who went to Emory College while Anderson was a Georgia Tech. Anderson had both a BMW and Mercedes while he was there. He and Dennis Scott were rolling in cash.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

The 89-90 team with Anderson would have been the best all time at SU. Or if Sherm had just redshirted his freshman year - that would have been magical! I'll never forget watching Anderson put up 50+ in an Empire States game at Manley - he made it look so damn easy.

"The best thing that can be said about the recruiting war that was waged over Anderson was that it was completely legal under NCAA rules.

That is also the worst thing that could be said about it, for, unlike Hurley's recruitment, the chase for Anderson was a shameful example of high-pressure, lowlife toadying and the sort of old-boy-net-work cronyism that determines the fates of a depressing number of teenage athletes every year.

Georgia Tech coach Bobby Cremins, who grew up in the Bronx, saw Anderson play at least 40 times before he even talked to Anderson. "Every time Kenny played, we were there," Cremins says proudly. "I think Kenny liked that."

North Carolina, Syracuse and Georgetown were all believed to have a stronger hold on Anderson's affections than the Yellow Jackets, so Cremins employed a scorched-earth strategy, ingratiating himself with Anderson's mother, his high school coach, even the kid who rolled out the balls at Molloy's practices.

The year before Anderson announced his decision to attend Tech, Cremins decided he liked the work of Molloy student manager Giuseppe Liantonio so much he put him on full scholarship at Georgia Tech. Liantonio provided the Tech coaching staff with regular updates on what Anderson was thinking and saying back in Queens.

North Carolina was also getting regular reports. Its link was Vincent Smith, the older brother of former Tar Heel star Kenny. Vincent became a volunteer assistant to Molloy coach Jack Curran (a close personal friend Of North Carolina coach Dean Smith) when Anderson enrolled at the school. "Vincent took me under his wing," Anderson says.

Georgetown had been Anderson's first choice, but when coach John Thompson failed to pay a personal visit to Anderson's home, Anderson ruled out the Hoyas. Cremins won Anderson over by promising the one thing most other coaches refuse to negotiate—a starting position. " Coach Cremins is going to let me run the team," Anderson said while he was still a high school senior.

Cremins insists that he has never guaranteed a player a starting job, but it is well known that the high profile of his freshmen—five ACC rookies of the year in eight seasons—has helped recruiting. "Bobby sells opportunities," says Kevin Cantwell, Cremins's associate head coach.

Joan Anderson certainly liked Cremins better than she liked Dean Smith. "All I heard him talk about was what Kenny could do for Carolina," she says. "I didn't hear anything about what Carolina could do for Kenny."

She also wasn't all that hot about Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. "He was too cold," she says. "His town's too cold, and he's cold."

Read more in the SI Vault

What Joan really means is that crooked Cremins and crew were forking out $$$ whereas SU was playing by the rules and they would not go for that.

I'll never forget seeing him play pick-up at Austin Park, one of my hometown courts. Never saw someone up close like that, who seemed faster than any other player while he had the ball in his hands and they didn't. If you could take a picture of every onlooker, that jaw-dropping look.

Austin Park? What is your hometown, tee?

Hey why'd we miss the tourney in 1993? We won twenty games.
For $50.00 Xmas bonus from Bill Rapp to crybaby Richard Manning.

Should be interesting if there is any discussion about Rob Johnson too since this is during the Tony Scott and Conrad McRae issues.

For $50.00 Xmas bonus from Bill Rapp to crybaby Richard Manning.

No fanbase in the history of sports has ever downplayed their own recruiting violations.

Austin Park? What is your hometown, tee?
Forest Hills, baby!
They refer to Austin Park in another location nowadays, Rego Park.
But for those who grew up there, playing basketball or handball, that place will always be Austin Park.
Where are you from?

Forest Hills, baby!
They refer to Austin Park in another location nowadays, Rego Park.
But for those who grew up there, playing basketball or handball, that place will always be Austin Park.
Where are you from?

Skaneateles. I used to play in a summer rec league at Austin Park here. Occasionally, we would get an SU player or 2.

No fanbase in the history of sports has ever downplayed their own recruiting violations.
Yeah I worked for one of the attorneys representing a couple of the players during the investigation.
That's how I got to do some Judicial Review board stuff for athletes up on the hill and actually helped represent Tommy Kane in a civil case in Syracuse.

I think I still smart over the Kenny Anderson snub than any other recruiting situation we've ever had. That was 10 times worse than the julius hodge fiasco, in large part because the 89-90 team was freaking loaded. They just lacked a point guard to make things hum.

Anderson led GT to the final four his freshman year; I cringe thinking about what he would have been able to do with DC, Owens, Stevie, and Leron.

Maybe this is weird but I'm so grateful Anderson didn't come here because even with him I think we lose to UNLV which I think is the best college basketball team of all time. Having an amazing year and then losing a close game where we played awesome to UNLV would have been more frustrating.

Recruiting is such a sewer in some of these cases. I don't know how the staff keeps their sanity.

if we had Kenny Anderson, no red autry, which means no red autry as an assistant today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom