Kentucky - West Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky - West Virginia

Thank you that the other game started, who wants to watch a free throw shooting contest when one team is up 20?

No offense to anybody that doesn't think this UK team is that great, but I'm sorry, they are. Their defense is crazy long and quick, they have a deep talented bench, and while their offense can be suspect at times, it's very easy to sit a cold hand and bring out another 4-5 guys to get it right. The more I see this team play the more I believe they're just as good as the Anthony Davis team, may not be as pretty but these guys are damn good.
With all the paid players they have, they should be good.

Gotta give Kentucky offense credit this game. They are playing well tonight. If the Harrison twins play this well like tonight they won't lose for sure. I think only Wisconsin or Arizona can beat them of the teams left.

Gotta give Kentucky offense credit this game. They are playing well tonight. If the Harrison twins play this well like tonight they won't lose for sure. I think only Wisconsin or Arizona can beat them of the teams left.

I think Kaminski gets dominated if they match up. I just don't think he matches up well against UK's bigs.

CBEhoqIUwAA1oGs.jpg

World Wide Wes with a nice seat.

I think Kaminski gets dominated if they match up. I just don't think he matches up well against UK's bigs.
Kaminski can shoot and Wisconsin's motion offense is very crisp. Wisconsin can beat them for sure. No post player except Okafor could get his in the post against WCS, Lyles, Johnson, Towns.

To beat Kentucky you need to rebound on the defensive glass and zone them. If the Harrison's beat you then Kentucky is going to kill you. If they play poor Kentucky can lose.

Kaminski can shoot and Wisconsin's motion offense is very crisp. Wisconsin can beat them for sure. No post player except Okafor could get his in the post against WCS, Lyles, Johnson, Towns.

To beat Kentucky you need to rebound on the defensive glass and zone them. If the Harrison's beat you then Kentucky is going to kill you. If they play poor Kentucky can lose.

I think the only team with a prayer against UK is Wisconsin.

True, but he'll occupy a lot of their attention nonetheless. It should create openings for Dekker and the rest of their shooters, and the have several. Also remember, UNC's big guys didn't get into foul trouble just guarding "Frank the Tank." The rest of the team penetrated and made UNC's bigs look a lot like trees. Without being certain, I'm guessing UK's perimeter/mid-range defense is better than UNC's.

That being said, UK's dominant size in the middle distracts from how good and balanced they are. Watching them I found myself thinking, "Geez, this is just Wisconsin without the white guys." There's a very balanced team.

Last edited:
No offense to anybody that doesn't think this UK team is that great, but I'm sorry, they are. Their defense is crazy long and quick, they have a deep talented bench, and while their offense can be suspect at times, it's very easy to sit a cold hand and bring out another 4-5 guys to get it right. The more I see this team play the more I believe they're just as good as the Anthony Davis team, may not be as pretty but these guys are damn good.

Kentucky is a great team by today's standards. The distance between them and #2 is the greatest it has been since UCLA with Walton. Still, they are not a great team. If Anthony Davis was a senior on this team, as he would have been before the '90's, then this would be one of the great teams of all time.

I think the only team with a prayer against UK is Wisconsin.

If Gonzaga can get to them (as in, past Duke - and I believe they can), they have a mountain of size inside and they're not just hacks. It will be as good a game as was Wisc/UNC today.

Somebody gets it.
First, I would say Kentucky is by far the superior team. With that said referees can be criticized and I would say overall college refs are terrible. NBA refs do a good job, but college refs still call the charge/block horribly, they don't enforce the coaching box on bozos like Jamie Dixon, Buzz Wiliams. I get your a ref in lower basketball, but college officiating needs to get better.

CBEhoqIUwAA1oGs.jpg

World Wide Wes with a nice seat.

Of the seven 1st round picks Calipari produced in 2010 & 2011, only point guard Eric Bledsoe signed with WWW's agency at CAA.

Some power broker.

Kentucky is a great team by today's standards. The distance between them and #2 is the greatest it has been since UCLA with Walton. Still, they are not a great team. If Anthony Davis was a senior on this team, as he would have been before the '90's, then this would be one of the great teams of all time.
I get what your saying. I don't think the gap is that wide. Cincinnati stayed with them last game and they can't score. I would say they are the best team in the country, but if they played in the Big Ten, ACC, or Big XII they wouldn't be undefeated. Kentucky's bigs make them an elite defensive team, but their guards are too trick or treat to be considered "great". I give them credit for being undefeated, but Ole Miss, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida all played them tight and UK won.

Of the seven 1st round picks Calipari produced in 2010 & 2011, only point guard Eric Bledsoe signed with WWW's agency at CAA.

Some power broker.
Listen I got no problem with WWW the man has worked his butt off and become a power guy. I just get mad at the NBA for instituting the 1 and done rule which has led to Cal getting all these freshman

First, I would say Kentucky is by far the superior team. With that said referees can be criticized and I would say overall college refs are terrible. NBA refs do a good job, but college refs still call the charge/block horribly, they don't enforce the coaching box on bozos like Jamie Dixon, Buzz Wiliams. I get your a ref in lower basketball, but college officiating needs to get better.

You're aware, of course, they play with different rule books based on different philosophies as to how the game should be played? And that honestly creates a significant difference between the two styles of play. Truly, the two games should not be compared, and their differences should be understood and appreciated. Not all NCAA refs are where they are because they're just wannabes, not good enough to be NCAA refs.

I've watched several college games while following here as well, and I see a lot of complaining about what looked to me as the right calls. To be fair, we get a better look than refs at floor level. And refs are under a lot of pressure to make the right call at the exact right instant or they don't move ahead in the tournament. That kind of pressure changes things, trust me. :)

Last edited:
I get what your saying. I don't think the gap is that wide. Cincinnati stayed with them last game and they can't score. I would say they are the best team in the country, but if they played in the Big Ten, ACC, or Big XII they wouldn't be undefeated. Kentucky's bigs make them an elite defensive team, but their guards are too trick or treat to be considered "great". I give them credit for being undefeated, but Ole Miss, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida all played them tight and UK won.

They stayed with them but still lost by 13. They're deep and do what they should do and pull out at the end with fresh guys.

They stayed with them but still lost by 13. They're deep and do what they should do and pull out at the end with fresh guys.
I don't think Cincinnati got tired. I think they played a great defensive team and Cincy is a terrible jump shooting team. UK's defense is truly elite and probably as elite as UNC 2009's offensive efficiency was elite. You can't drive the ball to the hoop with Wily Cauley-Stein on the floor and that kid is like a 7 foot Stacy Augmon or Scottie Pippen defensively. Cauley-Stein can guard pretty much any position which is the crazy thing. His defense on guards, forwards, and centers is awesome to watch.

To beat them you need to hit jump shots and rebound the ball defensively and get transition. Playing 10 guys actually hurts UK as WCS, Towns, Lyles, Ulis, Booker should be getting more minutes, but give Calipari credit he has gotten his team to buy into this platoon rotation.

You're aware, of course, they play with different rule books based on different philosophies as to how the game should be played? And that honestly creates a significant difference between the two styles of play. Truly, the two games should not be compared, and their differences should be understood and appreciated. Not all NCAA refs are where they are because they're just wannabes, not good enough to be NCAA refs.

I've watched several college games while following here as well, and I see a lot of complaining about what looked to me as the right calls. To be fair, we get a better look than refs at floor level. And refs are under a lot of pressure to make the right call at the exact right instant or they don't move ahead in the tournament. That kind of pressure changes things, trust me. :)
Of course there are good college refs, but overall officiating in college hoops is sub-par compared to other sports. They have a tough job, but that doesn't excuse calling the charge/block so horribly. College hoop refs call WAY TOO many games and travel so much that hurts the game. The refs shouldn't be allowed to ref 3 games in 3 days unless they are traveling to places with 120 miles. Calling a game in Syracuse on Monday, Bloomington on Tuesday, Columbia on Wednesday, Athens on Thursday, Durham on Saturday, and Pittsburgh on Sunday wears the refs down. They should be employees, but this stuff hurts the game.

How can they not be in the conversation of all-time great teams if they run the table? Who are the teams that we're putting above them?

How can they not be in the conversation of all-time great teams if they run the table? Who are the teams that we're putting above them?

Era's matter, but in the modern era of one and dones they have to be #1 if they run the table.

Good refs are in demand because they're reliable and consistent. Why the heck do guys like Ed Hightower fly all over the country? Because they're in demand. NO they're not perfect, but they're consistent, and coaches and AD's want that. Perfection is unattainable., consistency is readily available, and guys whose living is dependent on it prefer it, want it, and lobby for it. Why do coaches like JB willingly accept refs like Jim Burr and Tim Higgins - with whom I've routinely disagreed? Because they know what they're getting and they can work with that. And that's the way it is. Give up the idea there's any purity related to the rule book, LMFAO!

And as far as block/charge goes, I'm happy to let anyone else out there put on some stripes and come show us how it's done. Because most of you have no freaking idea how difficult it is to get that call right. I mean, if it was that easy, wouldn't we all be doing it? :noidea:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom