Kevin Ollie to OKC? Topic on PTI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kevin Ollie to OKC? Topic on PTI

dasher said:
Not really. The ACC is a powerful basketball league again and UConn wouldn't help with football in the least. I still doubt UConn to the B1G. Maybe to the Big 12. That would actually be funny.

Yeah, but it would strengthen UConn's status in basketball and football recruiting and give the B1G an upper hand in terms of securing MSG for its tourney.

Now that we no longer face UConn anymore, keep 'me in the AAC.

Yeah, but it would strengthen UConn's status in basketball and football recruiting and give the B1G an upper hand in terms of securing MSG for its tourney.

Now that we no longer face UConn anymore, keep 'me in the AAC.

They already have MSG for 2018.

Uconn will be solid next year it looks like. And their conference is trash, so I see them in the tourney.

This rumor had bounced around for a year or so now. Nows the time to leave.

The Big Ten isn't adding UConn anytime soon. The basketball program will maintain being relevant as long as they have Ollie or a good coach. The Big Ten TV contract is being negotiated before the 2016-2017 thus Uconn isn't getting added before that contract and I doubt the Big Ten would add UConn unless they had a legit 16th school. ESPN will protect the ACC and SEC. THe Big XII has the GOR and if they can get Oklahoma/Kansas that is more appealing than UConn.

If they lose Ollie, I suspect they would be crazy not to come after Hopkins. Especially if they think he's been snubbed by the SU administration.

P5 isn't going to be a problem much longer. I think we have a very cushy landing spot.

Ollies isn't going anywhere unless OKC throws crazy money at him. I doubt they will.

and pigs fly - you guys should change your mascot to a goose in a chefs hat because your goose is cooked

the only thing you need to know about Yukon, is that they are declaring themselves as out of the tourney to final 4 contenders because of a cornell transfer.

the only thing you need to know about Yukon, is that they are declaring themselves as out of the tourney to final 4 contenders because of a cornell transfer.

That reminded me of this scene from the terrible yet hilariously entertaining movie Grandma's Boy:

"Dude, your bed is a car."
image.jpg

"Yeah, but it's a sweet car."

No. From what I saw of the CR saga and the fallout from your APR ban, Uconn is in a special category of delusion.

Should talk to some UNC fans around now, or NCSt fans about UNC, or UKUL fans about Calipari or PSU fans about their past situation, or Cuse fans about your current issues. All fanbases suffer their own special delusions.

Should talk to some UNC fans around now, or NCSt fans about UNC, or UKUL fans about Calipari or PSU fans about their past situation, or Cuse fans about your current issues. All fanbases suffer their own special delusions.

No.

The difference between us is that while we think the sanctions are unfair,at least most of us acknowledge that we committed SOME sort of wrong doing.

You guys blame everyone under the sun for your problems...The NCAA, ESPN, US, but apparently you don't bear any blame for anything that's happened to you.

No.

The difference between us is that while we think the sanctions are unfair,at least most of us acknowledge that we committed SOME sort of wrong doing.

You guys blame everyone under the sun for your problems...The NCAA, ESPN, US, but apparently you don't bear any blame for anything that's happened to you.

I definitely don't bear any blame...

At least Yukon will always have their championships to look back on as their program slides deeper into the depths of insignificance. Even with our sanctions, I wouldn't trade our position with them for a second. Hell, even if you tripled the sanctions... no thanks.

You should feel bad (Yukon).

To get it somewhat back on topic...

If Ollie leaves, it's really going to show where UCONN basketball stands now in terms of national perception. In the old Big East, an opening at UCONN would have been considered one of the elite jobs in the nation. When Calhoun left and the AAC came to be, they were in an awesome position with someone like Ollie waiting for the job. If Ollie leaves, it'll be interesting to see what type of coach they'd get. 5 years ago they'd probably pull a Shaka Smart type candidate, I have no clue what type of coach they'd get now..

If Ollie leaves, it's really going to show where UCONN basketball stands now in terms of national perception. In the old Big East, an opening at UCONN would have been considered one of the elite jobs in the nation. When Calhoun left and the AAC came to be, they were in an awesome position with someone like Ollie waiting for the job. If Ollie leaves, it'll be interesting to see what type of coach they'd get. 5 years ago they'd probably pull a Shaka Smart type candidate, I have no clue what type of coach they'd get now..

They'd get turned down by Bobby Hurley. My guess is Calhoun would come back to coach to try and save the program from total irrelevance

They'd get turned down by Bobby Hurley. My guess is Calhoun would come back to coach to try and save the program from total irrelevance

I wouldn't expect JC to return. He left coaching for a reason, because he is old, and crotchety, and unhealthy, and generally just breaking down too much to handle the rigors of the job. I even heard he is getting older. Not to mention the fact that he won't be able to win like he is used to with the new level of recruits they can expect in that league. Who was that nerdy looking younger assistant coaching guy who sat next to the coaches all those years? {edit: Glenn Miller will be the next MBHCUConn} I would expect them to get a playing or coaching alum with some experience as their replacement for Oliver Hardy, but not a big name.

Last edited:

Agreed that would be a pretty good indication of where things are headed.

Color me very skeptical that the BiG is anywhere close to adding Uconn anytime soon. New TV contract being negotiated now if they were going to add Uconn they would done so before the TV deal to get a better deal for the additional market. (at least one would think) Also it has long been known that the BiG covets getting further into the big12 footprint and would certainly prefer bringing in 2 schools from that market.

As far as power conferences go I still feel like its the big12 that eventually gets swallowed up by the other power conferences.

ACC - 15 teams (counting ND)
Big10 - 14 teams
SEC - 14 teams
PAC12 - 12 teams
Big12 - 10 teams

Splitting the big12's remaining 10 teams up to make 4 x 16 conferences only leaves one team without a seat.

Geographically it would make the most sense for the ACC to take WVU and then move out of the way while the Pac, SEC, BiG split up the remaining 9 with one losing a seat. Iowa St probably would be to the BiG but after that it would get weird because you have 2 from Okl, 2 from Kan and 4 from Texas. Texas itself probably controls most of how that goes. I imagine Texas could write their ticket and bring the team they want with them to the SEC or BiG or teams if they want to be in the PAC. In the end because of football I feel like Texas ends up in the SEC.

I wouldn't expect JC to return. He left coaching for a reason, because he is old, and crotchety, and unhealthy, and generally just breaking down too much to handle the rigors of the job. I even heard he is getting older. Not to mention the fact that he won't be able to win like he is used to with the new level of recruits they can expect in that league. Who was that nerdy looking younger assistant coaching guy who sat next to the coaches all those years? I would expect them to get a playing or coaching alum with some experience as their replacement for Oliver Hardy, but not a big name.

Even better

If Ollie left to the NBA people are crazy if they don't think Calhoun would consider coming back for a year to help the program in transition. UConn BB is good to be okay we need to acknowledge that. Teams outside P5 conferences can compete in BB now their FB program is DOA.

If Ollie left to the NBA people are crazy if they don't think Calhoun would consider coming back for a year to help the program in transition. UConn BB is good to be okay we need to acknowledge that. Teams outside P5 conferences can compete in BB now their FB program is DOA.

Calhoun has to be in that 70 to 75 age range and he's had well documented health issues. Being a head coach is a grind, especially if you don't have your own experienced staff who you'd trust. I don't think it's crazy at all to think he'd pass on a chance to come back to coaching. Especially if he's been enjoying retirement, with the occasional game he calls in the NorthEast or studio appearance he makes in Bristol.

Calhoun has to be in that 70 to 75 age range and he's had well documented health issues. Being a head coach is a grind, especially if you don't have your own experienced staff who you'd trust. I don't think it's crazy at all to think he'd pass on a chance to come back to coaching. Especially if he's been enjoying retirement, with the occasional game he calls in the NorthEast or studio appearance he makes in Bristol.

Maybe as a consultant, no way he returns as head coach. To prove what? That he is really, really, really, really grateful to have been paid millions to win NCs?

Maybe as a consultant, no way he returns as head coach. To prove what? That he is really, really, really, really grateful to have been paid millions to win NCs?

One would have to assume - if the JC coming back scenario were to come to fruition - that he would being doing it as a favor, for a short time, to try and prevent the program from full blown collapse.

One would have to assume - if the JC coming back scenario were to come to fruition - that he would being doing it as a favor, for a short time, to try and prevent the program from full blown collapse.

The original JC himself, Jesus Christ cannot prevent the impending collapse, and Jim Calhoun knows that. No way he agrees to take on a martyrs job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom