Kick or Receive vs. Maryland | Syracusefan.com

Kick or Receive vs. Maryland

I would always receive. I'm making my opponent play from behind every game.

Welllllll, Personally I would receive or defer to the second half. I wouldn't want to kick and then have to kick again in the second half ;)

Take the ball , send a message to your offense that you have confidence in them. It's easy for a visiting team to get pumped up in the Dome and make a good first drive and see the crowd go quite and feel like they have the upper hand. Also it gives Erv a chance to make a big play and get the party started , which he can every time he touches the ball.

The Patriots kick every single chance they get... I think there was a stat recently they haven't asked to receive a kick in years

Just as long as we don't screw up like Texas did last game I will be A okay. ;)

the team that starts the half with the ball will have at least the same number of possessions as the opponent, and possibly one more (unless there is a successful onside kick). would you rather have potentially one more possession in the first or second half? Always defer.

Last edited:
This question is like whether you foul a 3 point shooter down 2 with time running down. There is no right answer. Just play to your strengths. The problem is I don't know what our strengths are yet with this team.

I say we just kick their ass and get the win! :)

You never choose to kick. You receive or defer. As the previous poster noted, one of the Longhorn captains chose to kick. As a result, they kicked off to start both halves. Charlie was not pleased.

In the upcoming game Syrause should elect to receive.

The dome crowd just can't get the energy up high in the first possession if Cuse is on D. Later in the game they yell loudly to help the D by making it harder for them to communicate. The offense doesn't want or need excessive crowd noise. If they make a big play the crowd will erupt. Ergo , take the ball.

Sorry for the confusion. Got excited and went with Kick or Receive. Certainly meant Receive or defer:)

Go Orange!!!

My thought is this, there is nothing more back breaking confidence wise, than a score right before the half followed by that team getting the ball to start the second half.

Conversely if you give up a score before the half, if you start the second half with the ball, you have the first opportunity to flip the momentum back into your favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom