Kiffen | Syracusefan.com

Kiffen

Ish88888

All American
Heard some info regarding his move to FAU today. Basically , when multiple AD's from interested bigger schools sought out references at USC and UT, they were basically told to run in the other direction, thus FAU was his last chance at a head gig. not surprising. also, saban can't stand him, even as successful and stimulating he has been for the Bama offense. He made 1.4/year as the Bama D coordinator and signed for 5 yrs/4.7. pay cut as a HC. Interesting . FAU, is obviously a stepping stone but still interesting .

Heard some info regarding his move to FAU today. Basically , when multiple AD's from interested bigger schools sought out references at USC and UT, they were basically told to run in the other direction, thus FAU was his last chance at a head gig. not surprising. also, saban can't stand him, even as successful and stimulating he has been for the Bama offense. He made 1.4/year as the Bama D coordinator and signed for 5 yrs/4.7. pay cut as a HC. Interesting . FAU, is obviously a stepping stone but still interesting .

When you're a smarmy, unlikeable pissant who burns bridges / fails at every stop along the way, this is what eventually happens to you when you can no longer stay one step ahead of the lynch mob. He should fall on his knees with gratitude that Saban offered him a second chance... and he somehow managed to screw that up, as well.

I don't wish him ill, but it has been interesting to watch this train wreck from afar.

Last edited:
Man the state of Florida now has a lot of good coaches with Ritch, Kiffin, Strong, Fisher and McElwain at Florida, plus Frost at CFU, all recruiting the state, good luck.

Things just got tougher down there for everybody

Man the state of Florida now has a lot of good coaches with Ritch, Kiffin, Strong, Fisher and McElwain at Florida, plus Frost at CFU, all recruiting the state, good luck.

Give it a year or two; Kiffin will drive FAU into the grave.

When you're a smarmy, unlikeable pissant who burns bridges / fails at every stop along the way, this is what eventually happens to you when you can no longer stay one step ahead of the lynch mob. He should fall on his knees with gratitude that Saban offered him a second chance... and he somehow managed to screw that up, as well.

I don't wish him ill, but it has been interesting to watch this train wreck from afar.

Yes. As a Trojan I want him far away. He's lucky to have what he has now like you said.

Kiffin's a good coach? Your definition does not match up to mine. Kiffin is an asshat and had one decent season at USC with Carroll's players. FAU huh? He's going to need winning the lottery type of luck getting those in-state recruits against already established UCF, USF, FSU, Florida, and Miami. I hope he falls on his face...hard.

yes, there has been some scuttle that he wasn't exactly running to FAU, but was running from bama because he was not coming back.

Kiffin's a good coach? Your definition does not match up to mine. Kiffin is an asshat and had one decent season at USC with Carroll's players. FAU huh? He's going to need winning the lottery type of luck getting those in-state recruits against already established UCF, USF, FSU, Florida, and Miami. I hope he falls on his face...hard.

He really makes people angry.

I don't think anyone's ever doubted that he was a good recruiter. Which was his point.

Getting the lower tier kids out of Florida is going to be a lot harder against him, Strong, Frost. Phat didn't even mention Butch Davis being at FIU now.

Not good news for a program like ours.

I don't think anyone's ever doubted that he was a good recruiter. Which was his point.

Getting the lower tier kids out of Florida is going to be a lot harder against him, Strong, Frost. Phat didn't even mention Butch Davis being at FIU now.

At this point Strong, Frost, Kiffen, etc are all in holding patterns and I would not expect any of them to affect our long term recruiting down there. If Babers was smart, which he definitely is, I would use that to recruit against them. Kiffen's already shown his true colors when the big boys come knocking, Frost is already one foot out the door and Strong deserves and will get another shot at a P5 before long. What he did in UL after Kragthorpe was outstanding.

At this point Strong, Frost, Kiffen, etc are all in holding patterns and I would not expect any of them to affect our long term recruiting down there. If Babers was smart, which he definitely is, I would use that to recruit against them. Kiffen's already shown his true colors when the big boys come knocking, Frost is already one foot out the door and Strong deserves and will get another shot at a P5 before long. What he did in UL after Kragthorpe was outstanding.

Frost being one foot out the door isn't making any difference. He's pulling in their best class ever right now.

Kiffin true colors? These things just don't matter to the kids. They want good offense and get to the league.

Just grabbed De'Andre Johnson on day 2, that's a heck'uva start. I honestly don't get how anyone really thinks he's anything but a good coach. One year at Tennessee where he improved them by 2 wins and their offensive output by 60%. Goes to USC where they get destroyed by the sanctions. Goes to Alabama and turns their offense from a very good ground and pound into a pretty much unstoppable juggernaut with a 1st year starting QB each year including a true freshman this year. Almost every successful head coach is a d*ckhead and he's just another one.

Just grabbed De'Andre Johnson on day 2, that's a heck'uva start. I honestly don't get how anyone really thinks he's anything but a good coach. One year at Tennessee where he improved them by 2 wins and their offensive output by 60%. Goes to USC where they get destroyed by the sanctions. Goes to Alabama and turns their offense from a very good ground and pound into a pretty much unstoppable juggernaut with a 1st year starting QB each year including a true freshman this year. Almost every successful head coach is a d*ckhead and he's just another one.
I agree with most of this. I see a terrific offensive mind. Can he be a terrific coach? Only time will tell, but I sense a new maturity. My money is on him being successful at FAU and bolting for a P5 job in 2-3 years. As he should, if offered.

I understand LK is a polarizing figure, but let's not act like he is Paterno, Petrino, Mumme or Briles.

It is a good opportunity for Johnson who deserves a 2nd chance after FSU had to dismiss him. He's from Jacksonville and will at least play in Florida. Miami plays FAU frequently and it is a heated local rivalry so that game will likely become tougher for the Canes.

I agree with most of this. I see a terrific offensive mind. Can he be a terrific coach? Only time will tell, but I sense a new maturity. My money is on him being successful at FAU and bolting for a P5 job in 2-3 years. As he should, if offered.

I understand LK is a polarizing figure, but let's not act like he is Paterno, Petrino, Mumme or Briles.
Agree he's not on that level. More like Shady/RRod. Soooooooo still a wanker.

LK has baggage that isn't public. He's not just a polarizing figure because of his personality.

LK has baggage that isn't public. He's not just a polarizing figure because of his personality.
Okay. What is it? Do share. It has all been written, some true, some wildly false, so don't feel the need to hold back.

The guy's career happened backwards and he was obviously not up to the task early on. NFL job at 31, based on his last name only. Think about it. How many Raiders was he coaching that were older than him? Ridiculous. But don't fault him for talking the gigs in Oakland, Tenny and USC. Anyone in their right mind would have accepted the positions.

I don't know the man, I don't consider myself a LK loyalist. I just see a guy who made some mistakes, but instead of them happening in anonymity at a high school or a Divsion 3 program or as an D1 assistant coach, they happened as a NFL or high D1 head coach.

I can imagine it's tough being an assumed prodigy. During my career, I have worked for one and know a few others that went thru similar growing pains. Some succeeded out of the chute, others did not. Lane Kiffin is flawed, just like the rest of us. As I said, I have a feeling he is going to succeed this time. No guarantees, just an inkling.

At the end of the day, tthis is a person that is no worse than the vast majority of D1 head football coaches. Almost all have skeletons in their own closets.

It is a good opportunity for Johnson who deserves a 2nd chance after FSU had to dismiss him. He's from Jacksonville and will at least play in Florida. Miami plays FAU frequently and it is a heated local rivalry so that game will likely become tougher for the Canes.
Johnson is that guy who was caught on video punching that girl in the face at a bar. That was brutal. He is lucky to get a second chance!

First thing I said. This was a bad week for us. Strong and Kiffen in Florida will make things that much tougher for us.

Okay. What is it? Do share. It has all been written, some true, some wildly false, so don't feel the need to hold back.

The guy's career happened backwards and he was obviously not up to the task early on. NFL job at 31, based on his last name only. Think about it. How many Raiders was he coaching that were older than him? Ridiculous. But don't fault him for talking the gigs in Oakland, Tenny and USC. Anyone in their right mind would have accepted the positions.

I don't know the man, I don't consider myself a LK loyalist. I just see a guy who made some mistakes, but instead of them happening in anonymity at a high school or a Divsion 3 program or as an D1 assistant coach, they happened as a NFL or high D1 head coach.

I can imagine it's tough being an assumed prodigy. During my career, I have worked for one and know a few others that went thru similar growing pains. Some succeeded out of the chute, others did not. Lane Kiffin is flawed, just like the rest of us. As I said, I have a feeling he is going to succeed this time. No guarantees, just an inkling.

At the end of the day, tthis is a person that is no worse than the vast majority of D1 head football coaches. Almost all have skeletons in their own closets.
Most D1 coaches don't troll the fanbases of the schools where they previously worked. He does it regularly, check out some of the tweets, throwing candy, throwing visors, etc. He's a complete penishead.

Most D1 coaches don't troll the fanbases of the schools where they previously worked. He does it regularly, check out some of the tweets, throwing candy, throwing visors, etc. He's a complete penishead.
Brutal. I don't know how people survived.