Knicks! (and other NBA action) | Syracusefan.com

Knicks! (and other NBA action)

Melancer46

Living Legend
Excited for my Bucks to start off their season tonight (FIRST SEASON OPENER AT HOME IN 30 YEARS?!)

This is probably going to be an ugly game though. Probable starters:

PG: MCW vs. Calderon
SG: Jerryd Bayless vs. Sasha Vujacic
SF: Khris Middleton vs. Melo
PF: Chris Copeland vs. Porzingis
C: Greg Monroe vs. Robin Lopez

Yikes.

Calderon needs to not be starting. MCW should destroy him. That shooting guard matchup is must see tv haha.

It was an ugly game... for the Bucks. I didn't see how the Knicks build their lead as I didn't tune in until the Mets collapsed in the 4th and the game was over by then. I saw a reborn Derrick Williams and a hot as fire Langston Galloway and team which actually played decent D, fought for the ball, had some toughness and some real NBA players.

No idea how sustainable this is. I still hate the fact that Fisher is the coach. I can't stomach dudes who tell sob stories about their families and then end up divorcing their wives... Everyone remember that one of Fisher's kids had a rare illness and had to be in LA? In this case to make it worse, Fisher ends up with the ex-wife of a former teammate, who also happens to be a reality tv "star". Sleaze-bag.

It was an ugly game... for the Bucks. I didn't see how the Knicks build their lead as I didn't tune in until the Mets collapsed in the 4th and the game was over by then. I saw a reborn Derrick Williams and a hot as fire Langston Galloway and team which actually played decent D, fought for the ball, had some toughness and some real NBA players.

No idea how sustainable this is. I still hate the fact that Fisher is the coach. I can't stomach dudes who tell sob stories about their families and then end up divorcing their wives... Everyone remember that one of Fisher's kids had a rare illness and had to be in LA? In this case to make it worse, Fisher ends up with the ex-wife of a former teammate, who also happens to be a reality tv "star". Sleaze-bag.
I watched most of the game and the Knicks second unit beasted.

Derrick Williams looked like Blake Griffin out there and Kyle O'Quinn played like Charles Oakley reincarnated. Vujacic actually played ok and I don't mind him eating those minutes until Afflalo comes back if he plays like that, however, Calderon needs to Adios. Jerian Grant is light years better than Jose and Galloway is the perfect 6th man off the bench. MCW was literally abusing Calderon when he was out there, like it was tough to watch without feeling sorry for Jose.

Melo didn't score efficiently but did everything else very well.

ROLO is a way better fit for this team than Monroe would've been.

Yes, I'm coming strong with the H0T Takes after one game.

Derrick Williams looked like Blake Griffin out there and Kyle O'Quinn played like Charles Oakley reincarnated. Vujacic actually played ok and I don't mind him eating those minutes until Afflalo comes back if he plays like that, however, Calderon needs to Adios. Jerian Grant is light years better than Jose and Galloway is the perfect 6th man off the bench. MCW was literally abusing Calderon when he was out there, like it was tough to watch without feeling sorry for Jose.

If they beat the Hawks I'm planning to attend the victory parade next summer... how about that for a hot take.

I love what Monroe looks like he's going to bring to the Bucks, but man, they desperately need Giannis, Jabari, and OJ back. Having Bayless, Copeland, and Monroe out there is just a disaster defensively while still not being very good offensively.

I still think the Bucks will squeak their way into the playoffs again, but I'm not as high on this team as some others are.

I love what Monroe looks like he's going to bring to the Bucks, but man, they desperately need Giannis, Jabari, and OJ back. Having Bayless, Copeland, and Monroe out there is just a disaster defensively while still not being very good offensively.

I still think the Bucks will squeak their way into the playoffs again, but I'm not as high on this team as some others are.
Your young core is pretty insane. MCW-Middleton-Giannis-Parker-Monroe and Mayo as sixth man. That's a rough shooting team but as far as young talent goes, that's unmatched.

Your young core is pretty insane. MCW-Middleton-Giannis-Parker-Monroe and Mayo as sixth man. That's a rough shooting team but as far as young talent goes, that's unmatched.

That's the hope anyways lol. It all rests on the development of Giannis and Parker. If at least one of them doesn't develop into a borderline star, and if at least one of them doesn't develop into a pretty good shooter, this core is probably screwed, but I have faith that they'll both prove to be very good when it's all said and done. If those two end up being able to shoot, MCW's struggles shooting the ball won't matter as much and this team should flourish IMO.

One thing about last night is I was really disappointed by how little John Henson played. Gave him a big contract, he played great in the preseason (arguably our best player), and Kidd just flat out refused to play him and Monroe together and stuck it out with Chris Copeland. For a guy that preaches "positionless basketball", he's really pigeonholed Monroe and Henson strictly as centers.

That's the hope anyways lol. It all rests on the development of Giannis and Parker. If at least one of them doesn't develop into a borderline star, and if at least one of them doesn't develop into a pretty good shooter, this core is probably screwed, but I have faith that they'll both prove to be very good when it's all said and done. If those two end up being able to shoot, MCW's struggles shooting the ball won't matter as much and this team should flourish IMO.

One thing about last night is I was really disappointed by how little John Henson played. Gave him a big contract, he played great in the preseason (arguably our best player), and Kidd just flat out refused to play him and Monroe together and stuck it out with Chris Copeland. For a guy that preaches "positionless basketball", he's really pigeonholed Monroe and Henson strictly as centers.
Chris Copeland is not good, I don't know why people/coaches keep thinking he is.

What did you and other Bucks fans think of Porzingis?

Chris Copeland is not good, I don't know why people/coaches keep thinking he is.

What did you and other Bucks fans think of Porzingis?

I can't speak for other fans much right now because the message boards I usually use have been absolute trash lately so I haven't been able to see anyone's thoughts. I missed the first half, but I loved Porzingis as a prospect (I literally spent the month or two before the draft trying to sell my friend, a Knicks fan, on the idea of them drafting Porzingis), and I thought he'd prove to be more NBA-ready than a lot of people realized. I don't see any reason that he can't play 20+ minutes a game as a rookie. He may be a twig, but he's so damn tall that his weight still matches a lot of PFs, and the guy just has serious skills. He's not really an elusive driver, but he's got great quickness for somebody his size, and paired with his shooting stroke, I think he'll be able to cause serious issues for defenders by catching at the perimeter and either shooting it or attacking the closeout. And I think his potential as a shooter that can also block shots makes him a good fit next to basically any big man; that's such a rare skillset to have.

I can't speak for other fans much right now because the message boards I usually use have been absolute trash lately so I haven't been able to see anyone's thoughts. I missed the first half, but I loved Porzingis as a prospect (I literally spent the month or two before the draft trying to sell my friend, a Knicks fan, on the idea of them drafting Porzingis), and I thought he'd prove to be more NBA-ready than a lot of people realized. I don't see any reason that he can't play 20+ minutes a game as a rookie. He may be a twig, but he's so damn tall that his weight still matches a lot of PFs, and the guy just has serious skills. He's not really an elusive driver, but he's got great quickness for somebody his size, and paired with his shooting stroke, I think he'll be able to cause serious issues for defenders by catching at the perimeter and either shooting it or attacking the closeout. And I think his potential as a shooter that can also block shots makes him a good fit next to basically any big man; that's such a rare skillset to have.
Yea, I was impressed by him. The Bucks definitely tried to body/intimidate him and it took a minute for him to adjust but he played very well.

Calderon annoys me. I'm not too sure what he really brings to the table, besides grasping and holding on defense and complaining every time he gets whistled for it. I'm not sure who complained more to the refs last night - him or Monroe.

Hoping Derrick Williams can sustain the aggression that he showed last night over an 82 game season. Need that kind of energy off the bench.

Calderon annoys me. I'm not too sure what he really brings to the table, besides grasping and holding on defense and complaining every time he gets whistled for it. I'm not sure who complained more to the refs last night - him or Monroe.

Hoping Derrick Williams can sustain the aggression that he showed last night over an 82 game season. Need that kind of energy off the bench.

Derrick Williams could be the steal of the century if he keeps this up.

Derrick Williams could be the steal of the century if he keeps this up.

Yeah, it's too bad it would only be for one meaningless year of probably not even making the playoffs though.

Yeah, it's too bad it would only be for one meaningless year of probably not even making the playoffs though.

Yeah he's got a player option and I'm sure if he blows up he's back on the market.

Yeah he's got a player option and I'm sure if he blows up he's back on the market.

For sure, especially with the cap blowing up this offseason.

I would still rather have Wiggins / KAT (and I guess Lavine). But it's a good core.

Should be a fun team to watch this year.

BTW - the guy that impressed me most last night in any of the games was Kawhi. He had an amazing game and went right at Durant.

Very impressive on both ends of the court.

I would still rather have Wiggins / KAT (and I guess Lavine). But it's a good core.

Should be a fun team to watch this year.

The Wiggins/KAT combo is definitely up there as well. KAT could be really special. I might take Giannis and or Jabari over Wiggins though, but they're all great prospects.

Fisher and his ridiculous love affair with Calderon is going to make me lose my mind.

Fisher and his ridiculous love affair with Calderon is going to make me lose my mind.

Who do you prefer they go to? Galloway or Grant? I think Grant will end up being the starter by the end of the year.

Who do you prefer they go to? Galloway or Grant? I think Grant will end up being the starter by the end of the year.
Right now I would prefer a starting backcourt of Grant and Galloway with Calderon and Vujacic off the bench until Afflalo comes back. The Grant/Afflalo starting with Galloway, O'Quinn, D-Will and whoever else off the bench.

I'm just in shock that every Knicks fan and every opposing team sees what a huge liability Calderon is, yet Fish played him all night and the only reason he didn't play against the Bucks was foul trouble because he kept fouling MCW.

The Hawks had wide open three after wide open three because Teague would blow past Calderon 4 seconds into the shot clock and the rest of the time it was 5 on 4 with everyone else scrambling to help.

Right now I would prefer a starting backcourt of Grant and Galloway with Calderon and Vujacic off the bench until Afflalo comes back. The Grant/Afflalo starting with Galloway, O'Quinn, D-Will and whoever else off the bench.

I'm just in shock that every Knicks fan and every opposing team sees what a huge liability Calderon is, yet Fish played him all night and the only reason he didn't play against the Bucks was foul trouble because he kept fouling MCW.

The Hawks had wide open three after wide open three because Teague would blow past Calderon 4 seconds into the shot clock and the rest of the time it was 5 on 4 with everyone else scrambling to help.

Calderon basically has a fork sticking out of his back at this point. And, the rest of the team knows it.

You can't inspire the team when you are playing someone who doesn't deserve it.

Grant has to eventually be the starter.

I was surprised at how fast Grant looked and how easily he was able to get to the rim. Also somewhat impressed that Lance Thomas seems like he's actually going to bring some depth. Right now the Knicks 2nd team is more fun to watch than their first team. I'm not a fan of Fisher's defensive scheme... it seems like the Knicks don't do much switching so they're getting caught up in a lot of traffic which is leading to wide open jumpers. The offense looks a gajillion times better, the reobounding seems a lot better... but the D, yuck! The starting guards are way too easy to get past and there is a seriously soft underbelly. After 2 games I can see an 7 or 8 seed but the D really needs to improve. I can also see the bottom falling out if Melo reverts back to hero ball as he did a few times and they get cold from outside. There isn't much meat to sustain them if there is an extended shooting slump... not much of an inside game and no D.

Calderon is the man, I hope Fisher finds a way to get him more minutes! Why is he playing...not much to gain long or short term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom