Laphonso Ellis | Syracusefan.com

Laphonso Ellis

supp

Hall of Fame
I generally like him. He's well prepared and doesn't go overboard with the ND homerism. He seems a little too eager to impress, though. Sometimes it sounds like he's reading a script he's prepared rather than just talking. I know, I'm a huge weirdo for even paying attention to this crap.

Somebody needs to get him in touch with a suit tailor. He was swimming in that jacket.

I generally like him. He's well prepared and doesn't go overboard with the ND homerism. He seems a little too eager to impress, though. Sometimes it sounds like he's reading a script he's prepared rather than just talking. I know, I'm a huge weirdo for even paying attention to this crap.

Just be thankful it wasnt Dickie Simpkins. Anytime there's a televised game and its not Dickie Simpkins, I consider it house money.

Brooky03 said:
Somebody needs to get him in touch with a suit tailor. He was swimming in that jacket.
you might have missed it but they were wearing those old suits for Dress like Jimmy B night

Just be thankful it wasnt Dickie Simpkins. Anytime there's a televised game and its not Dickie Simpkins, I consider it house money.
I wouldn't include Pam Ward in the "OK to listen to" category. From the time she comes on until the time she signs off, you know she's a Twerpette. At least she had the honesty to admit on the air that she didn't like us.

Ellis a good announcer he obviously though kept to his producer's script and kept saying "Green Room Guys" like every 3 minutes to fit the ESPN talking point for this week's games.

Jackson is not a green room guy nobody on either team will be in this year's green room. Mal could if he stays for 2 more years but not right now.

Ellis a good announcer he obviously though kept to his producer's script and kept saying "Green Room Guys" like every 3 minutes to fit the ESPN talking point for this week's games.

Jackson is not a green room guy nobody on either team will be in this year's green room. Mal could if he stays for 2 more years but not right now.

Jackson is in Bilas's top 10.

Here is the (okay, my) hierarchy of CBB color guys ...

A+
Dan Dakich (he is fantiastic, great mix of insight and fun ... he rips guys too, which is different and novel)

A
Jay Bilas (the standard until Dakich's ascent)

B
Raftery (I have not heard him in about 3 years; I don't watch much the Big Priest Conference hoops)

B-
Sean Farnham (he has potential to be quite good)

C+
Dick Vitale (not much time left)

C
Fran Frascilla
Bill Walton (it's wacky ... would not want him to override an SU game)

By the third time he said "there's plenty of time left" under the 6 minute mark and Cuse up 14-18 pts I started getting annoyed. But I get it, gotta keep the viewer tuned in I guess. Agreed on the Pam Ward comment ftom above. Among my all time least favorites with Dave Simms, Jim Calhoun and a few others.

I know Simms is play by play but I loathed him doing the old Big East football games. It's as if he was watching different games at times.

Ellis was great.

Wischusen on the other hand was driving my batty. I remember him back when i was a kid and used to fall asleep listening to WFAN (would only come in after dark) and he bugged me then. Not much has changed.

Jackson is in Bilas's top 10.
Wow you got me. Good job. Chad Ford has Jackson at 18.
1. Ben Simmons
2. Brandon Ingram
3. Chris Dunn
4. Ivan Rabb
5. Jaylen Brown
6. Jakob Poetti
7. Buddy Hield
8. Jamal Murray
9. Sabonis
10. Diamond Stone

Jackson goes in the lottery this might be the weakest draft in years. He is a mid-late first pick.

Ellis has gotten a lot better. He used to be terrible; I think he's okay now. Agree though that he's sticking to the producer's script.

Unlike others in this thread, I think Pam Ward is okay. Bilas is the best. Loved Raftery, don't really like Dakich. Walton is great in his own insane way. The point above about Dickie Simpkins is almost too obvious to say.

.As a follically challenged person I really miss LaPhonso's doo. He looked really good. Now he's hairless like me.

Loved what LaPhonso was saying about DCII last night.

I like him as an announcer/color guy.

Loved what LaPhonso was saying about DCII last night.

I like him as an announcer/color guy.

Ditto.

I could very well be wrong, but I just assumed that his choice of tacky, oversized suit was tied to the dress like Boeheim theme. :noidea:

Ditto.

I could very well be wrong, but I just assumed that his choice of tacky, oversized suit was tied to the dress like Boeheim theme. :noidea:

No assumption necessary.
He and Bob both stated numerous times that their sartorial styles were an homage to JB, on Dress Like Boeheim nite.

you might have missed it but they were wearing those old suits for Dress like Jimmy B night

I understood the tacky part. I don't remember Jim's suits being particularly oversized though. Compared to what you'd buy off the rack today, his suits were somewhat slim. The jacket also looked nothing like anything Jim Boeheim wore, so Laphonso missed the mark in every category haha.

It's like he was treating it as an ugly sweater [suit] party, instead of a look-a-like thing.

I understood the tacky part. I don't remember Jim's suits being particularly oversized though. Compared to what you'd buy off the rack today, his suits were somewhat slim. The jacket also looked nothing like anything Jim Boeheim wore, so Laphonso missed the mark in every category haha.

It's like he was treating it as an ugly sweater [suit] party, instead of a look-a-like thing.

The overlarge suit is just a style like form fighting, or slim fit. Jordan wears the same that look too big.

For those of you who missed the Indiana/Wisconsin game, Dakich was amazing. He really doesn't care who he calls to task. Players, referees, coaches, all the same.

For those of you who missed the Indiana/Wisconsin game, Dakich was amazing. He really doesn't care who he calls to task. Players, referees, coaches, all the same.

I enjoy Dakich also. He seems to tell it like it is. I guess you spend enough time around Bobby Knight, you pick that up. But at least Dakich is able to keep it suitable for television.

Here is the (okay, my) hierarchy of CBB color guys ...

A+
Dan Dakich (he is fantiastic, great mix of insight and fun ... he rips guys too, which is different and novel)

A
Jay Bilas (the standard until Dakich's ascent)

B
Raftery (I have not heard him in about 3 years; I don't watch much the Big Priest Conference hoops)

B-
Sean Farnham (he has potential to be quite good)

C+
Dick Vitale (not much time left)

C
Fran Frascilla
Bill Walton (it's wacky ... would not want him to override an SU game)

Pretty fair assessment of the major network color guys there. I like listening to Dakich too and am so weary of Vitale, I literally turn the sound off. But I'd like to add the guys on ACC telecasts, since so many games are only on ACC network or ESPN3, which gets the feed from ACC network.
My favorite had been Len Elmore, since he was willing to call out refs on Duke flops and 'fainting goat' move. But Lenny seems a little less engaged this year. Strange since he's only about 63, not that old.
Dan Bonner is pretty boring and sticks to standard color guy script. He rarely offers anything beyond plain-vanilla, obvious stuff.
Cory Alexander never shuts up, he goes on and on in his sing-songy Virginia twang. He loves to tell us how good he was too.

I know ESPN has had guys call the games from a studio in ( I assume) Bristol Ct.. I think they should be transparent when they are doing that. Last week, I was watching a game on ESPNU where the crowd noise sounded filtered. Next day, I found out announcers weren't even there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom