last year vs. this year. What's changed? | Syracusefan.com

last year vs. this year. What's changed?

MDT1GER

Walk On
Just watched last year's game and was pondering the differences in this year's versions of the teams. Obviously we are not nearly as dynamic on offense this year without a great QB. Our defense should be better. I obviously don't see the same kindof game this season from our side. Defense and home crowd need to be strong for us today.

How bout the Orange?

Our record doesn't show it but I think we're a better team this year. We pass the ball a little better and I think our staff is settling in. Some of our young guys are figuring things out.

Our record doesn't show it but I think we're a better team this year. We pass the ball a little better and I think our staff is settling in. Some of our young guys are figuring things out.
I'm not sure we're better than we were last year (I think we miss Jerome Smith), but I do think we're the type of team that will be better at the end of the year than we are now. So many young guys trying to figure out how to play at this level.

MDT1GER said:
Just watched last year's game and was pondering the differences in this year's versions of the teams. Obviously we are not nearly as dynamic on offense this year without a great QB. Our defense should be better. I obviously don't see the same kindof game this season from our side. Defense and home crowd need to be strong for us today. How bout the Orange?

We were a team that couldn't pass last year (especially when we played you guys). We were able to run against you last year, but I think we are better balanced between run/pass since our OC change the year. I think we'll move the ball some - but if don't take advantage of our opportunities, we're toast.

Our D is similar to last year but with less up the middle pressure from our inside DL (Bromley is now on the Giants roster). We also lost our MLB to graduation and start a RS freshman who is still learning. I think we've been a little better on O since the QB/OC change and not quite as good on D (where we actually finished ahead of you guys last year).

I'm not sure we're better than we were last year (I think we miss Jerome Smith), but I do think we're the type of team that will be better at the end of the year than we are now. So many young guys trying to figure out how to play at this level.
What would Jerome do for us that we aren't getting now?

We have a qb that can actually hit wrs in stride... so that's new. Our WR group appeara to be improving as well with some young guys coming on.

Aside from that, our defense isn't lining up again Boyd, Watkins, Bryant, etc... which is nice. I watched Boyd repeatedly throw his receivers open last year right before getting hit. I'm not a fan of players getting hurt but I'm glad we're not seeing your frosh qb this week.

End game todays outcome will be decided by the LOS, turnovers, and penalties. We need a few big plays from our d and special teams as well but we are capable. A long td for either team would swing the odds big time in what I expect to be a bit of a rock fight. Hopefully its Cuse breaking the long play.

Not much. Like last year, I still have no idea which Syracuse football team will show up from week to week. They can range from mediocre to historically bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom