Class of 2017 - LB Olakunle Fatukasi (NY) Verbal to Rutgers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 LB Olakunle Fatukasi (NY) Verbal to Rutgers

The camp film I've seen of Lewis he isn't very accurate. big arm but so what. He could flame out if he cant throw it. Jabu Lovelace or the big QB they took from LSU that wound up at tight ened.

I'm also curious to see how their offense goes, all of this Tom Hermann spread talk except the guy being brought in to run it was the WR coach. we've seen how that worked out before.

june recruiting momentum is a a big yawner if you ask me. we'll see.

100% agree. Good for them, but momentum is built during the year and in the winter, right before signing day. Most notably after a solid season or bowl win. June commits are good, but a lot happens between now and Feb 2017

Couple thoughts. Lewis was #1 on Ash's board and unlike the rest of us, he actually gets paid to evaluate these things. Lewis fits the offense like a glove and performed admirably in the Elite 11 which is not the best setting for a player with his skill set. Congrats on Devito btw. But Lewis will have a few years to develop but the raw materials are there to work with.

As for Mehringer, while he was only the WR coach for Houston last year, he was the OC at James Madison and turned that offense around immediately and they ranked 10th nationally in total O. The guy has learned offense under Urban Meyer and Tom Herman. Not bad. Unfortunately his best options at QB this year will be a 5th year transfer WR and a true freshman.

Couple thoughts. Lewis was #1 on Ash's board and unlike the rest of us, he actually gets paid to evaluate these things. Lewis fits the offense like a glove and performed admirably in the Elite 11 which is not the best setting for a player with his skill set. Congrats on Devito btw. But Lewis will have a few years to develop but the raw materials are there to work with.

As for Mehringer, while he was only the WR coach for Houston last year, he was the OC at James Madison and turned that offense around immediately and they ranked 10th nationally in total O. The guy has learned offense under Urban Meyer and Tom Herman. Not bad. Unfortunately his best options at QB this year will be a 5th year transfer WR and a true freshman.
No one is saying Ash is wrong in his evaluation. All D1 coaches have to evaluate players because their job is on the line but it doesnt mean I have to like the kid, it doesnt mean he will develop the way they want him to. Same with Devito. He might not be great at SU. We dont know for sure but I liked his film from the start and wondered why he just had regional offers. When I saw Lewis film. I didnt see anything spectacular. This doesnt mean he wont do well at Rutgers. Just my opinion. Dont have to be a recruiting expert to have an opinion.

No one is saying Ash is wrong in his evaluation. All D1 coaches have to evaluate players because their job is on the line but it doesnt mean I have to like the kid, it doesnt mean he will develop the way they want him to. Same with Devito. He might not be great at SU. We dont know for sure. I liked his film from the start and wondered why he just had regional offers. When I saw Lewis film. I didnt see anything spectacular. This doesnt mean he wont do well at Rutgers. Just my opinion. Dont have to be a recruiting expert to have an opinion.

Fair enough.

Im very well aware of their commits. Im not as big on Jonathan Lewis as others. He a dual threat guy but doesnt run or pass exceptionally. Just solid in my eyes. He fits the scheme for sure. I just didnt see anything eye popping in his film. He didnt out run defenders. He runs with a little bit of power. He does have a strong arm throw but is not overly accurate.
Taylor has good size and he's is fast. Lovett is build for the spread. Dont get me wrong I think Ash is doing a great job early on in recruiting. Just think its a little over hyped because of the amount of commits he has at this point.
Sounds a lot like Perry Patterson. I wonder if they will let Lewis' grandmother post on their board.

The camp film I've seen of Lewis he isn't very accurate. big arm but so what. He could flame out if he cant throw it. Jabu Lovelace or the big QB they took from LSU that wound up at tight ened.

I'm also curious to see how their offense goes, all of this Tom Hermann spread talk except the guy being brought in to run it was the WR coach. we've seen how that worked out before.

june recruiting momentum is a a big yawner if you ask me. we'll see.

That was DC Jefferson. Huge arm...for a TE. Syracuse has had some good QBs in the last ten years. We've had some questionable kids. Laviano was a 2* on every site and eSPiN had him a 4*...how did that work for us (not so good). Another LSU transfer with a big arm hasn't been able to make the jump to starter. You guys pulled in a Basketball player 5th year transfer and he had a great season if I remember correctly. QBs haven't been kind to us and this year with us finally getting away from the pro style, Ash goes for a big armed 228lb qb. We shall see. 2017 is a tough year for NJ QBs but I don't think you go wrong with Lewis or DeVito. Either kid could work in either of our systems. I am sure we will both be very happy. 2018, NJ is loaded at QB.

Well thank you. This is an awesome forum and we enjoy having posters from all schools.
I do suggest that you remember that you are a guest in someone else's house and posting is at the discretion of the management.
Plus after three days the fish starts to stink.

With a 173 page "Rutgers Dumpster Fire" thread, that is going to attract some outside attention.

That was DC Jefferson

That was DC Jefferson. Huge arm...for a TE. Syracuse has had some good QBs in the last ten years. We've had some questionable kids. Laviano was a 2* on every site and eSPiN had him a 4*...how did that work for us (not so good). Another LSU transfer with a big arm hasn't been able to make the jump to starter. You guys pulled in a Basketball player 5th year transfer and he had a great season if I remember correctly. QBs haven't been kind to us and this year with us finally getting away from the pro style, Ash goes for a big armed 228lb qb. We shall see. 2017 is a tough year for NJ QBs but I don't think you go wrong with Lewis or DeVito. Either kid could work in either of our systems. I am sure we will both be very happy. 2018, NJ is loaded at QB.
You're quite generous regarding our QB play over the last 10 years, minus Ryan Nassib who developed over time. Wonder what schools like OSU and Bama think about the bickering between Cuse and Rutgers football fans. We should agree to not comment on each other at all until one of us actually makes a run at the top 25, and even then, does so for a few seasons in a row. We both need help across the board.

You're quite generous regarding our QB play over the last 10 years, minus Ryan Nassib who developed over time. Wonder what schools like OSU and Bama think about the bickering between Cuse and Rutgers football fans. We should agree to not comment on each other at all until one of us actually makes a run at the top 25, and even then, does so for a few seasons in a row. We both need help across the board.
2 games I want back on our schedule as often as possible. WV and SU. Now that we are playing Midwestern teams, we need some NE flavor. Not that WV is NE, I just liked playing them, 70-7 be damned.

Besides, have you seen our QB play in the last 10 years?

2 games I want back on our schedule as often as possible. WV and SU. Now that we are playing Midwestern teams, we need some NE flavor. Not that WV is NE, I just liked playing them, 70-7 be damned.

I hear ya. Truth be told, I have never been a Rutgers hater. I despise PSU much more, and agree that in theory a rivalry between Cuse and Rutgers where both are relevant, (if thats even possible) would be great for both schools. No doubt Cuse needs NJ recruits, and best way to get them besides winning is playing in your state. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

I thought Teel was good and Savage. Coaching damaged Savage IMO. Glad to see him rebound from that. We had Nassib and thats it. Paulus could have been good with another year and a run game behind him

Never ever going to happen. There is no reason to Schedule RU ever. Scheduling Temple and UConn bring the same benefit.

Never ever going to happen. There is no reason to Schedule RU ever. Scheduling Temple and UConn bring the same benefit.

you sound like a hurt x-girlfriend in HS. Uconn and temple are in the AAC, do you remember that shitty confrence we sprinted away from? The other one is in the B1G, arguably the best conference, even though I still tip my hat to the SEC

With a 173 page "Rutgers Dumpster Fire" thread, that is going to attract some outside attention.
It is a containment method to limit threads, nothing more
Personally I never really paid any attention to Rutgers sport. Honestly, accept for the few years we played RU in football and Basketball I did not know Rutgers sports existed.

Last edited:
you sound like a hurt x-girlfriend in HS. Uconn and temple are in the AAC, do you remember that shitty confrence we sprinted away from? The other one is in the B1G, arguably the best conference, even though I still tip my hat to the SEC

If your going to play someone from the B1G play someone good what benefit do you get from playing them?

If your going to play someone from the B1G play someone good what benefit do you get from playing them?

That has nothing to do with what I said. Your pushing a claim that playing a team in a power 5 conference(B1G) is no different from playing a team from, I'm not even sure how to classify that conference... but one that has lost what 9 or 10 teams in the last 16 years with most of them leaving within the last 5 years. Keep in mind that B1G is the only one currently being talked about as a competitor to the SEC as the top conference. Another fun fact, Every Big east champion since 93 is no longer in that conference with the exception of Cincinnati.

If your talking about perceptions gains, a team from the AAC wont have significant conference wins and a loss to them would only bring about headlines similar to when Michigan lost to app state(alright, not as bad). We loose to a last place Rutgers, whos in in the B1G east, at least it's a lost to a team thats in one of the toughest divisions in CFB. Beat Rutgers and they go onto a surprise win against a tough divisional opponent and that win looks much better.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with what I said. Your pushing a claim that playing a team in a power 5 conference(B1G) is no different from playing a team from, I'm not even sure how to classify that conference... but one that has lost what 9 or 10 teams in the last 16 years with most of them leaving within the last 5 years. Keep in mind that B1G is the only one currently being talked about as a competitor to the SEC as the top conference. Another fun fact, Every Big east champion since 93 is no longer in that conference with the exception of Cincinnati.

If your talking about perceptions gains, a team from the AAC wont have significant conference wins and a loss to them would only bring about headlines similar to when Michigan lost to app state(alright, not as bad). We loose to a last place Rutgers, whos in in the B1G east, at least it's a lost to a team thats in one of the toughest divisions in CFB. Beat Rutgers and they go onto a surprise win against a tough divisional opponent and that win looks much better.
Well, there's your problem right there ;)

The B1G has won one NC in football since 2002. I am glad you are still tipping your cap to the SEC. Probably should tip it to a couple of other conferences too.

The B1G has good, not great overall depth but in terms of producing top notch teams, it hasn't been very good for a long time.

Be happy you don't have to play 2 top 5 teams and another top 20 team each year like Syracuse does.

The B1G has won one NC in football since 2002. I am glad you are still tipping your cap to the SEC. Probably should tip it to a couple of other conferences too.

The B1G has good, not great overall depth but in terms of producing top notch teams, it hasn't been very good for a long time.

Be happy you don't have to play 2 top 5 teams and another top 20 team each year like Syracuse does.

I'm referring to the sports annalists, not my personal opinion. Usually when they talk about the best conference in CFB the conversation revolved around the SEC and the B1G. My opinion is that the conversation, especially as of late is because the B1G has two of the premier coaches in Harbaugh(super bowl winner) and Meyer who has won 3 nattys in the time frame you mention, 2 of which were for the SEC. Dantonio is no slouch either, and ill be honest im not too familiar with the rest of the B1G to comment on their coaches. I'll admit since moving into my new place about a year ago I haven't been following the talking point of CFB, I've mostly been following recruiting and preparing for my dynasty baseball league

I'm referring to the sports annalists, not my personal opinion. Usually when they talk about the best conference in CFB the conversation revolved around the SEC and the B1G. My opinion is that the conversation, especially as of late is because the B1G has two of the premier coaches in Harbaugh(super bowl winner) and Meyer who has won 3 nattys in the time frame you mention, 2 of which were for the SEC. Dantonio is no slouch either, and ill be honest im not too familiar with the rest of the B1G to comment on their coaches. I'll admit since moving into my new place about a year ago I haven't been following the talking point of CFB, I've mostly been following recruiting and preparing for my dynasty baseball league
Did JIM Harbaugh win a Super Bowl?

beat me to it by a min. Wrong Harbaugh.
I had to double check, because I couldn't remember him winning a Super Bowl at any level. That being said, he is an excellent coach, unorthodox methods of recruiting, but he is an asset for Michigan and the Big Ten for as long as he stays there. But, that just means that Rutgers has four built in losses in their schedule each year and they haven't a prayer of winning their division. Syracuse has two built in losses with Florida State and Clemson, but at least they can get a winning record in their division and play in bowl games and start climbing toward the top. It seems like Rutgers is pinned to the mat by the big boys and they won't be able to get up off the mat.

I had to double check, because I couldn't remember him winning a Super Bowl at any level. That being said, he is an excellent coach, unorthodox methods of recruiting, but he is an asset for Michigan and the Big Ten for as long as he stays there. But, that just means that Rutgers has four built in losses in their schedule each year and they haven't a prayer of winning their division. Syracuse has two built in losses with Florida State and Clemson, but at least they can get a winning record in their division and play in bowl games and start climbing toward the top. It seems like Rutgers is pinned to the mat by the big boys and they won't be able to get up off the mat.
Clemson has not beat us by a lot to really make that claim.

boy this thread is a trip down memory lane.

By the way,
Olakunle Fatukasi tweeted he'll take all 5 official visits.

K7kzoMRf_bigger.jpg
Olakunle Fatukasi ‏@fatukasi_ola 20h20 hours ago
I want to take all my visits

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors