Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

I'm not sure Billy Riggins was a good enough football player to get too excited about that prospect.
Billy Riggins was a dreamer and a motivator. He'd be a great locker room/special team presence minus the multiple multiple crimes he's committed and his alcoholism.

Free Article...
http://www.At their request, this n...-syracuse-first-to-offer-in-state-ath-riggins

Syracuse is the first to offer in-state athlete Taylor Riggins, who discusses his interest in the Orange, future visit plans and more inside.

Rochester (N.Y.) Aquinas athlete Taylor Riggins was one of several players on the Syracuse campus this past weekend for their one-day camp. To date, he is the only offer extended, meaning he impressed with his performance.
He says he ran a 6.83 in the three cone drill a 4.2 in the shuttle, both of which were among the best times for any player on the day. That, combined with impressing the staff with his lateral movement and quickness, earned Riggins an offer.
”I was at their camp over the weekend on Saturday,” he said. “He (Chuck Bullough) told me he’d bring me up in a recruiting meeting and stuff and that he would get back to me on Monday, today. Then he (direct messaged) me on Twitter and asked me to call him.
”So I did and he told me they’d like to extend an offer.”
The immediate thing that jumps off the screen on film is Riggins’ length. That combined with a good burst is no doubt why Syracuse was so impressed seeing him in person on Saturday.
The offer was Riggins first and was at linebacker. During the camp he spent time working out at both linebacker and tight end, but it was at linebacker that Syracuse sees a future.
Having his first offer finally on the table produced multiple emotions for the 6-foot-2 athlete.
”I was pretty shocked and I was relieved,” Riggins said. “I was pretty excited. Just taking it all in and enjoying the moment.”
Interestingly, Riggins has never seen a Syracuse game at the Carrier Dome despite living less than two hours from the campus. He is hopeful, however, that he will fix that this fall.
The plan for Riggins going forward is to camp at Rutgers, Penn State and Boston College. Once those are completed, he will see what all of his options are. At that point, he will meet with his family and coaches in order to figure out the best fit.
As far as a decision timeframe, it could come towards the end of summer or during his senior season.

Taylor is one of the AQ kids everyone liked but didnt talk enough about. When watching a AQ game last fall, people will watch Zembiec, Jones, Edwards and all of a sudden #6 will do something freakish in the game, your like wait a minute, this kid has something. Well that kid is Taylor Riggins. Tough, solid hands, runs well for his size. Can play TE, Flexed in a slot, TB, DE or LB. Just a good overall football player. It doesnt surprise me that he had a strong camp and got offered.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Billy Riggins was a good enough football player to get too excited about that prospect.

No but he did do a helluva Samoan war chant ...

I admit, I thought he would be a D1aa kid that would land at Albany, Maine or New Hamshire. He must have really impressed the coaches at the camp.

I admit, I thought he would be a D1aa kid that would land at Albany, Maine or New Hamshire. He must have really impressed the coaches at the camp.

the film looks like anything but D1AA but everybody's film looks great. We'll only hold you responsible if he ends up at rutgers. :)

Last edited:
But I assume you were looking at him as a RB/TE type, and not a LB? Just guessing, of course, since playing him at LB seems to be mostly the idea of the SU coaches.

But I assume you were looking at him as a RB/TE type, and not a LB? Just guessing, of course, since playing him at LB seems to be mostly the idea of the SU coaches.
Would be nice if there was some footage of him in coverage. Hard to tell how he looks standing up when he's just rushing off the edge in the highlights.

Last edited:
Taylor is one of the AQ kids everyone liked but didnt talk enough about. When watching a AQ game last fall, people will watch Zembiec, Jones, Edwards and all of a sudden #6 will do something freakish in the game, your like wait a minute, this kid has something. Well that kid is Taylor Riggins. Tough, solid hands, runs well for his size. Can play TE, Flexed in a slot, TB, DE or LB. Just a good overall football player. It doesnt surprise me that he had a strong camp and got offered.
It almost sounds like you are describing Dyshawn Davis. Freakish athlete that may not be making a ton of plays but when he does he destroys a RB...

Can we stop referring to highlight tape as "the film". It's not the film, it's an commercial.

No this was my thought watching him live this past season. He didnt always pop out during games. He didnt strike me as an ACC player at the time beacuse of the positions that he played for his team. Your right I didnt look at him as a LB because he played DE. He must have shown he's athletic enough to play LB at the camp. Coaches know what they are doing.

Some might not remember,but this kid reminds me of Jerome Hall a player from Henninger who averaged 12 YAC in high school went to S.U. as a R.B. and started as a 250 lb. as a Sr. Same size as this kid is now

No this was my thought watching him live this past season. He didnt always pop out during games. He didnt strike me as an ACC player at the time beacuse of the positions that he played for his team. Your right I didnt look at him as a LB because he played DE. He must have shown he's athletic enough to play LB at the camp. Coaches know what they are doing.

Which makes it even more puzzling that he didn't pull the trigger and commit. Kid is really rolling the dice that a spot will be left by the time the season starts, and that he will pick up more offers. Most of your offers are going to come during the Spring eval period. Kid is taking a huge risk not committing imo.