Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

I'll trust the staff. Feels like a guy we could have waited on, but he's a terrific, long, rangy athlete. Better to lock him up now than watch him blow up, I guess?

No they loved him at camp. He projects perfectly at OLB for this defense.

I disagree on this one I don't think we could've or should've waited on him. Gets an offer walking out the door of camp, says he's going to visit Rutgers and Penn State for camps, but comes back to Syracuse for another visit. This was a no-brainer in my opinion. I think if he goes to those other schools he gets offers.

I don't see anything that says we could've waited here if we wait and he go someplace else then that egg on our face
Honestly I think the only reason I say that is because we're suddenly in a logjam for one more LB spot. But as I mentioned above, after watching the way Riggins moves, his size and length and speed...he reallllllllly reminds me of Doug Hogue. Like, to a ridiculous degree.

Honestly I think the only reason I say that is because we're suddenly in a logjam for one more LB spot. But as I mentioned above, after watching the way Riggins moves, his size and length and speed...he reallllllllly reminds me of Doug Hogue. Like, to a ridiculous degree.

Agree on doug houge and frankly I love this kids tape. He's a kid if he went someplace else to Penn State or buttgers we'd all be tripping

Last edited:
The way Skout talks about him I'm guessing he gets a decent rating when he's evaluated.

If they have too many LB prospects they could always let Brouse back to D.

The way Skout talks about him I'm guessing he gets a decent rating when he's evaluated.
I wonder if he's just lived in the shadow of Jamir Jones and is finally starting to emerge, and that's why he's so under the radar?

For whatever reason I get the Ben Lewis feel from this kid. Had no offers (I won't count Towson) , no stars, no nothing until he came to a 1 day camp and impressed the heck out of the coaches. Granted, Rob Moore knows a thing or two about what it takes to be a good WR, but I'm assuming Shafer, Bullough, and Lea do too when it comes to LB's.

friday-night-lights-212.jpg

A Riggins in Syracuse? This guy is excited!

Like him as a linebacker, but he looks really good at tight end too. I wonder if the staff strikes out on their tight end targets if they will give him a shot there.

jekelish said:
I wonder if he's just lived in the shadow of Jamir Jones and is finally starting to emerge, and that's why he's so under the radar?
Why would he be in his shadow, Jones played QB for the most part last year? If anything more schools would have evaluated since they had Jamir and Zembiac.

Why would he be in his shadow, Jones played QB for the most part last year? If anything more schools would have evaluated since they had Jamir and Zembiac.
A lot of what we are hearing lately sounds like the way we rationalized the period of 2000 to 2014. I hoped things would have taken off with both Culpepper and Washington. So far, they sure haven't. These guys might be very good football players but I was hoping for wins against p-5 schools. right now we are fighting with Harvard for a kid. He might be a player but if he is, why haven't other p-5 schools offered?

dasher said:
A lot of what we are hearing lately sounds like the way we rationalized the period of 2000 to 2014. I hoped things would have taken off with both Culpepper and Washington. So far, they sure haven't. These guys might be very good football players but I was hoping for wins against p-5 schools. right now we are fighting with Harvard for a kid. He might be a player but if he is, why haven't other p-5 schools offered?

100% agree. I now expect us to get berated for being "negative".

Riggins has never been to any camps. Nobody knows who he is. To me this is the kind of kid we should want. A kid who went to the SU camp, was evaluated first hand and earned an offer as a result. I get nervous when we offer just based on film.

Manning camps we don't offer. Riggins camps we offer. Yet people who's only view of things is from the internet are dissapointed and would've preferred Manning? Why? That makes no sense.

Last edited:

He's a very fluid athlete that turns extremely well through the hips in his video. As the lovely CuseLegacy posted prior, Mr Riggins ran a 6.83 3 cone and 4.2 20 yard shuttle at our camp. For comparison sake, Hogue ran a 7.09 3 cone and 4.57 shuttle at the NFL combine. Vic Beasley ran a 6.91 and 4.15 at the combine this year... Gimme athletes like that all day long.

~ just checked back through the thread and the 4.2 shuttle is Shy Cullen type territory.

Last edited:
Maybe they are scared off by his intelligence?

The unknown Taylor Riggins works out for the SU staff:

Sounds like another kid that didn't really have many offers just Buffalo and Temple. Came to camp and wowed the coaches and got an offer on the spot. Rodney Williams.

Riggins has never been to any camps. Nobody knows who he is. To me this is the kind of kid we should want. A kid who went to the SU camp, was evaluated first hand and earned an offer as a result. I get nervous when we offer just based on film.

Manning camps we don't offer. Riggins camps we offer. Yet people who's only view of things is from the internet are dissapointed and would've preferred manning. It makes no sense.
I'm definitely implicated here and just want to point out that you're right. The comment I made about Manning were without knowledge of really anyone else being considered but more in the context of what was already in the cupboard. Certainly didn't expect it to stir so many people up (hell, I've gotten used to being pretty much ignored) or be taken very seriously, it was just an off the cuff two cents after watching his highlights. This kids measurables are impressive and if there is one position I have zero doubts about this staffs ability to evaluate and coach it is linebacker. But kudos on the call-out...I'm just trying to own it. That said, welcome Mr. Riggins, I think Orange is a better color for you!

I've got no problem with the staff offering a local upstate kid based on his camp performance. I'd rather they give these opportunities to less heralded CNY/WNY kids to keep strong ties with programs like Aquinas rather than take a flier on some out of state prospect.