Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

anomander said:
100% agree. I now expect us to get berated for being "negative".

I'm not going to say a word. I've been getting berated for telling other people they are being negative ;).

My 2 cents? If our staff is good at evaluating talent, and they have his measurables in hand - I'm good. Until proven otherwise.

Here's the deal -- kid went to camp here an got an offer. We had a handful of higher rated kids on skowt here and they walked away without an offer. Yet posters will bitch and moan because some 2 star nobody committed. Said posters need to take a step away front heir premium subscriptions and enjoy life a little bit. I'm sure Mike M, Dohner the Boner, and Garcia are nice folks, but they are the last foggers I'd want to be offering scholarships for my school.

In summary, just because you have a subscription somewhere doesn't mean you know what the is going on.

Here's the deal -- kid went to camp here an got an offer. We had a handful of higher rated kids on skowt here and they walked away without an offer. Yet posters will bitch and moan because some 2 star nobody committed. Said posters need to take a step away front heir premium subscriptions and enjoy life a little bit. I'm sure Mike M, Dohner the Boner, and Garcia are nice folks, but they are the last foggers I'd want to be offering scholarships for my school.

In summary, just because you have a subscription somewhere doesn't mean you know what the is going on.

This is a nice post to get your like to post ratio up, but who exactly are you talking to? I haven't seen 1 poster mention anything about stars?

He's a very fluid athlete that turns extremely well through the hips in his video. As the lovely CuseLegacy posted prior, Mr Riggins ran a 6.83 3 cone and 4.2 20 yard shuttle at our camp. For comparison sake, Hogue ran a 7.09 3 cone and 4.57 shuttle at the NFL combine. Vic Beasley ran a 6.91 and 4.15 at the combine this year... Gimme athletes like that all day long.

~ just checked back through the thread and the 4.2 shuttle is Shy Cullen type territory.

Perspective.

Perspective.

I'm curious If he'll continue at DE this year or if his coaches will move him to LB to get better acclimated before college. Would be very curious to see what he does without starting with a hand on the ground. I also like how he moves as a RB which makes him more intriguing at lb to me. He's a bit like these nba draft prospects that get picked on upside ahead of more polished players.

End game, to me, he appears to have "it" athletically. How that translates in the ACC is to be seen but I feel confident in thinking he had to absolutely wow our coaches to get an offer that they likely didn't plan on giving before the weekend.

Good post and I can tell you whats going on. They love this kid. He was very impressive. More impressive than manning or any other LB prospect that camped.

Riggins has never been to any camps. Nobody knows who he is. To me this is the kind of kid we should want. A kid who went to the SU camp, was evaluated first hand and earned an offer as a result. I get nervous when we offer just based on film.

Manning camps we don't offer. Riggins camps we offer. Yet people who's only view of things is from the internet are dissapointed and would've preferred Manning? Why? That makes no sense.
I didn't say one word about Manning.

Shafer & Co have seen multiple kids in-person who have "higher profiles" and decided not to take them, but they liked the hometown kid from Rochester who is relatively unknown at this point and offered him on the spot based on what they actually saw at camp. He commits and could enroll early.

I am 110% confident in our staffs' ability to identify talent without GAF what others "think" of a kid. If he was involved in more camps, he would have other P5 offers and likely a more robust recruiting profile.

Rocco said:
Shafer & Co have seen multiple kids in-person who have "higher profiles" and decided not to take them, but they liked the hometown kid from Rochester who is relatively unknown at this point and offered him on the spot based on what they actually saw at camp. He commits and could enroll early. I am 110% confident in our staffs' ability to identify talent without GAF what others "think" of a kid. If he was involved in more camps, he would have other P5 offers and likely a more robust recruiting profile.

Yep - I think the in-person evaluation is more important than all the other stuff if you trust the staff.

I like that they evaluated the kid in person, he impressed them more than higher rated kids and they offered. At some point though recruiting has to lead to wins. Most people would be fine with the staff identifying and offering under the radar kids if it leads to winning seasons.

Not worried about it. I actually want him to come to syracuse. That wasn't my point at all.

You're disappointed things didn't take off with Washington and culpepper and you're disappointed we're battling for kids without p5 offers, then you play both sides of the fence by saying you want that kid. Which is bunk.

New flash this is how Syracuse recruiting has been since forever, since 1985 let alone 2000. Evaluating kids at camp etc.

Some of these non p5 kids are clearly on the back burner anyways.

Last edited:
You're disappointed things didn't take off with Washington and culpepper and you're disappointed we're battling for kids without p5 offers, then you play both sides of the fence by saying you want that kid. Which is bunk.

New flash this is how Syracuse recruiting has been since forever, since 1985 let alone 2000. Evaluating kids at camp etc.

Some of these non p5 kids are clearly on the back burner anyways.
Well you clearly didn't understand my point. You proved that when you linked me with manning, who I have never said one word about. You're happy with the way recruiting has gone since Washington's verbal, good for you. I hoped it would take off with kids with a number of P 5 offers. I am talking about as a whole. And I do want the Harvard kid. I just don't want a team full of non P 5 offers that the staff loves.

Well you clearly didn't understand my point. You proved that when you linked me with manning, who I have never said one word about. You're happy with the way recruiting has gone since Washington's verbal, good for you. I hoped it would take off with kids with a number of P 5 offers. I am talking about as a whole. And I do want the Harvard kid. I just don't want a team full of non P 5 offers that the staff loves.
I'm with you in that I want a good mix of gems that the staff unearths, in addition to guys with P5 offers. And I think we still have time to get that healthy mix. Only thing keeping the class from resembling that right now is that most of the guys with P5 offers (Neal, Hawkins, etc) are holding off on deciding until late summer/early fall, so obviously our class is filled with more of the guys discovered by the staff.

Of course, I'm not sure what some P5 schools are looking at when it comes to some of the guys we've gotten, specifically Scoop. I'm stunned he doesn't have a bevy of P5 offers. Kid is going to be a stud.

I'm with you in that I want a good mix of gems that the staff unearths, in addition to guys with P5 offers. And I think we still have time to get that healthy mix. Only thing keeping the class from resembling that right now is that most of the guys with P5 offers (Neal, Hawkins, etc) are holding off on deciding until late summer/early fall, so obviously our class is filled with more of the guys discovered by the staff.

Of course, I'm not sure what some P5 schools are looking at when it comes to some of the guys we've gotten, specifically Scoop. I'm stunned he doesn't have a bevy of P5 offers. Kid is going to be a stud.
I haven't written off this class that we won't get guys with P 5 offers. I very hopeful we will.

I'm perfectly fine with the way recruiting has gone and I laughed at all the package deal hopefuls. I've said a million times package deals rarely happen. That's one big reason people are upset, no maybens no colons. Unrealistic hopes.

Other than that recruiting has gone as expected. Who have we lost that we shouldn't have, that a rb or a Qb should've pulled in? The only kid I can think of is Fries and he picked penn state.

I didn't want the Harvard kid and I said don't worry because I knew he wasn't coming here. He can't until kids in front of him decide.

I do want Simons.

So if you weren't lumping in manning as a loss while we battle for non P5 kids, what kids are you disappointed with in this class?

I'm perfectly fine with the way recruiting has gone and I laughed at all the package deal hopefuls. I've said a million times package deals rarely happen. That's one big reason people are upset, no maybens no colons. Unrealistic hopes.

Other than that recruiting has gone as expected. Who have we lost that we shouldn't have, that a rb or a Qb should've pulled in? The only kid I can think of is Fries and he picked penn state.

I didn't want the Harvard kid and I said don't worry because I knew he wasn't coming here. He can't until kids in front of him decide.

I do want Simons.

So if you weren't lumping in manning as a loss while we battle for non P5 kids, what kids are you disappointed with in this class?
I don't want to single anyone out. I just want more than two kids at this stage to have multiple P 5 offers. Our coaches don't have the market cornered in evaluating players. Honestly, it looks very disappointing to me. I hope I am 100% wrong or we close with a number of P 5 kids.

The way this staff recruits and given the current status of SU in college football a better measure would be to look at the number of P5 offers at the end of the recruiting cycle rather than in the summer.

I don't want to single anyone out. I just want more than two kids at this stage to have multiple P 5 offers. Our coaches don't have the market cornered in evaluating players. Honestly, it looks very disappointing to me. I hope I am 100% wrong or we close with a number of P 5 kids.

The way this staff recruits and given the current status of SU in college football a better measure would be to look at the number of P5 offers at the end of the recruiting cycle rather than in the summer.
I don't disagree. However, you might also consider that some of our guys might fall as b listers at the end of a recruiting cycle for other P 5 teams.

This is a nice post to get your like to post ratio up, but who exactly are you talking to? I haven't seen 1 poster mention anything about stars?

Lighten up Francis. I could care less about my like count. I care about people who atar gaze.

Lighten up Francis. I could care less about my like count. I care about people who atar gaze.
Cil, do other P 5 coaches know anything about football? I don't care about stars. I just wish we had guys that other P 5 schools wanted. I don't think anyone would disagree that our two top recruits at this time have the most P 5 offers