Class of 2015 - LB Troy Henderson JR (OH) Signed LOI | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 LB Troy Henderson JR (OH) Signed LOI

Just wondering, why is getting Henderson from Ohio a reason why it's important to keep your local recruits home?

If you read the article that was posted in one of the previous pages, it's clear that Henderson had very relevant ties to NJ. I'm not sure but I'm guessing he must have a lot of family there.

Or it shows that if you can't keep kids in your own state, then theres something wrong with you. Daiquan Kelly going to Syracuse shows a serious lapse in the Rutgers football program/recruiting. They should never lose guys like Strickland or Kelly.

Last edited:
If you read the article that was posted in one of the previous pages, it's clear that Henderson had very relevant ties to NJ. I'm not sure but I'm guessing he must have a lot of family there.

Or it shows that if you can't keep kids in your own state, then theres something wrong with you. Daiquan Kelly going to Syracuse shows a serious lapse in the Rutgers football program/recruiting. They should never lose guys like Strickland or Kelly.
The best part is we're seeing the same excuses that kids used when they chose Rutgers over us during our down period. "I wanted to branch out and go away from home" or "i want to make my own name" are just things kids say to be nice to their hometown program. If you're good the kids aren't going anywhere.

So, for the coaches out there, can anyone do a quick analysis of this kid's strengths / weaknesses / potential?

Thanks in advance!

Real good get. Didn't know Ernie was his uncle. That had to help some. Not sure why some people dismissed Nebraska before he announced. We've gotten kids to commit before they visited.

Another quality verbal and I will never get sick of writing that. The LB crew are going to continue being very very talented . Welcome to the Hill Mr. Henderson!

Henderson is Orange!
Looking at his film, he is really good at tackling in the open field. Well coachd, excellent fundamentals. Looks very quick and agile. Should be an ideal weapon to deploy against spread offenses. I see him as a taller version of Cam Lynch.

Really good get, fits in well with the other linebackers in this excellent class.

St Edward's is a really good program, one of the top ones in Ohio and they won a state championship in 2010. Phil Donohue went there, as did Iron Chef Michael Symon and NFL DB Haruki Nakamura.

I don't think that is necessarily true sometimes kids just want to leave the state. Plus SU can't keep a lot of kids in state either so what does that say about the Cuse? I like where our program is headed but that being said I agree there is something wrong with the Rutgers program.

I don't think that is necessarily true sometimes kids just want to leave the state. Plus SU can't keep a lot of kids in state either so what does that say about the Cuse? I like where our program is headed but that being said I agree there is something wrong with the Rutgers program.
I agree with your point but consistently landing kids from jersey, florida and georgia makes up for losing a few medium calibre recruits in new york. People from all over the east want to come to syracuse.

We'll have to disagree on this one...the Rutgers program has resumed it's rightful place among the FBS cellar-dwellers. The anomaly actually occurred circa 2006. The universe has attained homeostasis. ;-)

Henderson comes from a GREAT program here in Cleveland...Lakewood St. Ed's!! Powerhouse team year after year and certainly one of the best H.S. programs in the Midwest if not the country. They send guys to D1 programs every year. Loaded schedule this year playing @Bergen Catholic, @Cincinnati Moeller, and @Youngstown Cardinal Mooney. I hope this could become a pipeline to SU in the future!

I think we should look at changing the name to USU (University of Syracuse University). That way, no matter what recruits say, it works.
I wonder if schools like Baylor or Vanderbilt have this happen often too? I think part of the reason the recruits put it this way is for dramatic effect, using the actual name of the university last. Whatever the reason, I'm thrilled with the decision.

Henderson comes from a GREAT program here in Cleveland...Lakewood St. Ed's!! Powerhouse team year after year and certainly one of the best H.S. programs in the Midwest if not the country. They send guys to D1 programs every year. Loaded schedule this year playing @Bergen Catholic, @Cincinnati Moeller, and @Youngstown Cardinal Mooney. I hope this could become a pipeline to SU in the future!

And if I'm not mistaken, we've been trying to grab a couple of kids from there the past few years.

A couple I remember:

2012 TE Sam Grant - Oklahoma

2012 DT Greg Kuhar - Northwestern

I know there was more, a RB if I'm not mistaken a two or three years ago.

FloydTroy.jpg

When I saved this picture, the file size was 44 kb. :D

If he performs as well as he did last season at Lakewood and puts on a bit more weight, it's going to be a war to hold onto him until signing day. I think we'll be alright but this is going to go to the wire IMO.

If he performs as well as he did last season at Lakewood and puts on a bit more weight, it's going to be a war to hold onto him until signing day. I think we'll be alright but this is going to go to the wire IMO.

You know the kid will end up visiting Nebraska

I'm certain he still plans on doing this despite the commitment.

He committed to 'save his spot'. Would expect him to still take a few officials and hit up Nebraska

He committed to 'save his spot'. Would expect him to still take a few officials and hit up Nebraska

I know after his commitment he said he won't take a visit to Nebraska, but you never know. Does Nebraska back off now? Will they still even need a LB by the time after he's ready to take an OV? I feel he really wants to be at Syracuse. He wanted to visit and commit months ago, but we had him hold off. He already has a pretty good relationship with Franklin, and some of the other LB's. I feel pretty good that we are able to hang onto him throughout without much of a problem. If he was really serious about Nebraska he would have held off, and visited there before committing.