Class of 2016 - LB Zachary Kastenhuber (CT) Verbal to Harvard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Zachary Kastenhuber (CT) Verbal to Harvard

According to TOS, he decided to go the academic route and attend Harvard.

Really wanted to land this kid, but honestly can't blame him. His focus is on academics and you're obviously not going to get better than Harvard.

Not the greatest look (externally) but you get the impression he cares more about academics. (which is great) I'd prefer they avoid another Colton Moskal situation where you lose a kid you might be counting on.
Agreed. It looks bad and I cringe at the people in Syracuse.com comments bitching about losing a kid to Harvard, but yeah, it was an academics thing. He chose Harvard academics over Syracuse football, basically. Not Harvard football over Syracuse football.

Last edited:
Agreed. It looks bad and I cringe at the people in Syracuse.com comments bitching about losing a kid to Harvard, but yeah, it was an academics thing. We chose Harvard academics over Syracuse football, basically. Not Harvard football over Syracuse football.
I'm guessing the majority of posters on Syracuse.com didn't have Harvard as an option themselves.

They didn't have high school as an option themselves.

That's not true. I think I saw a bunch of them wearing their high school jersey's the other day. Attica High School, right?

Was this possibly a result of the coaching deciding to no longer pursue a middle linebacker?

From the Ivy League sports website:

"Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. A coach may assist a prospective student-athlete to obtain an estimated financial aid award, however only the Financial Aid Office has the authority to determine financial aid awards and to notify students officially of their actual or estimated awards."
Good friend of mine went to Princeton in 1982 to play baseball... no sports scholarship but had to work 7-11 at the gym when not traveling. His work was to go to the gym, unlock the sports equipment, walk back to the gym office and do his homework so he could go to practice, at 11:00 he locked the equipment room and went where ever. No, he did not have to pick up or collect the sports equipment, just lock the door where it went. BUT he did not get sports scholarship;).

Nope. Was more interested in the education
Exactly. Sometimes kids just want different things than what we can offer, and while we offer an excellent education, it ain't Harvard.

They did but he was not entitled to go there for free .. there were a lot of dirty politics involved in his recruitment ... he chose Colgate over SU, Duke and a bevy of others ...
His guardians were trying to make sure they controlled the kid.

His guardians were trying to make sure they controlled the kid.

I'm well aware ... I played against him in high school ... there were also a lot of Colgate athletics politics in play.

I'm well aware ... I played against him in high school ... there were also a lot of Colgate athletics politics in play.
What high school did you go to? Were you in the old Center State Conference? He looked ridiculous playing against 6-3 centers.

What high school did you go to? Were you in the old Center State Conference? He looked ridiculous playing against 6-3 centers.

SVCS .. near Morrisville ... we played them in preseason and in a holiday tournament ... he sent one of my jumpshots about 8 rows into the stands.

SVCS .. near Morrisville ... we played them in preseason and in a holiday tournament ... he sent one of my jumpshots about 8 rows into the stands.
Are you sure that he blocked your jump hots or just saving your pride? I'm kidding of course.

You played for Stockbridge? If you played against Foyle you were a little ahead of me, but, when I played they always had a holiday tournament that would bring in 30-40 teams. To this day, I think it was the best youth basketball tournament I ever played in, and we traveled all over the state.