Leading the nation in blocks | Syracusefan.com

Leading the nation in blocks

Subob1

Walk On
I think it would probably take about 7 blocks per game to lead the nation. Coleman (1), Lydon (2), Robey (1) Chukwu (2) and an additional team average of +1 more. That is an increase of 2.6 blocks per game. Seems possible?

Gillon should be good for 2 per game as well, right?
Yup, he just needs to tweak a few variables (opponents being one, I don't know, maybe an AAC team?) and presto:
ax8yCnkASVGROR68XNzg_Les%20Miles%20Rejected.gif

Get that weak, 6 year old stuff outta here.

The thing that hurts in raw totals is that we usually play at the slowest pace in the nation, limiting opportunities. But, we're usually in the top 5 in block percentage, which is more important anyway. Ten of the last 15 seasons SU has ranked in the top 5, 3x as #1. So, it's a very good bet given the players we have returning into a system built for blocks.

The thing that hurts in raw totals is that we usually play at the slowest pace in the nation, limiting opportunities. But, we're usually in the top 5 in block percentage, which is more important anyway. Ten of the last 15 seasons SU has ranked in the top 5, 3x as #1. So, it's a very good bet given the players we have returning into a system built for blocks.

Also we concede a lot of 3 pointers, which are are much harder to block. We have a much better shot at being #1 in block% (which is % of 2 pointers blocked) than overall blocks per game.

Also we concede a lot of 3 pointers, which are are much harder to block. We have a much better shot at being #1 in block% (which is % of 2 pointers blocked) than overall blocks per game.

On the notion of a greater likelihood of being #1 in block% you may well be right. But, given a greater capacity to run this year than the last few seasons, it is likely we will speed up at least a bit. (post from Oraiste) So simply more shots going up and a team built to block, I am going for both.

I have kids so when I say "doing that is way too much fun" I speak from experience.
As a Pre-K gym teacher, I can 100% agree with this. All in good fun of course. :)

I think it would probably take about 7 blocks per game to lead the nation. Coleman (1), Lydon (2), Robey (1) Chukwu (2) and an additional team average of +1 more. That is an increase of 2.6 blocks per game. Seems possible?
It's possible In the fact that we're going to get 7 blocks in a game several times. But averaging 7 for a whole season seems unattainable.

On the notion of a greater likelihood of being #1 in block% you may well be right. But, given a greater capacity to run this year than the last few seasons, it is likely we will speed up at least a bit. (post from Oraiste) So simply more shots going up and a team built to block, I am going for both.

Yeah I think we'll play faster this year, but the number of 3's we allow will make it difficult. We averaged a shade over 4 blocks per game, we'd need to increase total blocks by like 70%. 4 more possessions per game isn't closing that gap. We should have more shot blocking on the floor, don't get me wrong, but I'd be very surprised.

I'd rather lead the nation in steals and points off transition.

It's possible In the fact that we're going to get 7 blocks in a game several times. But averaging 7 for a whole season seems unattainable.

Washington plays in a P5 conference and led the country with 6.6 last year, so I wouldn't say 7-ish is unattainable. We'll have games with double digit blocks.

I hope we are in the running, and think we could be if JB uses the press a lot more.

People have mentioned Gillon, Battle, and 7'2" coming off the bench. I hope they come in as a press unit and are employed early and often. It would speed up the game and bait teams to take it in one-on-one vs 7'2". A lot more blocks would be coming out of those situations.

even if we run, we still limit the number of block chances by our defensive scheme. We force teams to grind on their offensive end, passing the ball around the perimeter looking for an opening. That gives us one of the longest average defensive possession lengths in the nation. Going back to the beginning of the Shut It Down era, here is how SU has ranked
  • 2010 - 25th
  • 2011 - 3rd
  • 2012 - 1st
  • 2013 - 3rd
  • 2014 - 1st
  • 2015 - 21st
  • 2016 - 1st
and, at the same time, we are also among the national leaders in steal percentage
  • 2010 - 4th
  • 2011 - 9th
  • 2012 - 5th
  • 2013 - 7th
  • 2014 - 4th
  • 2015 - 14th
  • 2016 - 4th
so, between slowing opponents down on the one hand, cutting their possessions short with steals on the other hand, and baiting them into taking bad threes on the other other hand, we just don't have as many opportunities for blocks . . . but when we get those opportunities, we are always among the best at sending them!

even if we run, we still limit the number of block chances by our defensive scheme. We force teams to grind on their offensive end, passing the ball around the perimeter looking for an opening. That gives us one of the longest average defensive possession lengths in the nation. Going back to the beginning of the Shut It Down era, here is how SU has ranked
  • 2010 - 25th
  • 2011 - 3rd
  • 2012 - 1st
  • 2013 - 3rd
  • 2014 - 1st
  • 2015 - 21st
  • 2016 - 1st
and, at the same time, we are also among the national leaders in steal percentage
  • 2010 - 4th
  • 2011 - 9th
  • 2012 - 5th
  • 2013 - 7th
  • 2014 - 4th
  • 2015 - 14th
  • 2016 - 4th
so, between slowing opponents down on the one hand, cutting their possessions short with steals on the other hand, and baiting them into taking bad threes on the other other hand, we just don't have as many opportunities for blocks . . . but when we get those opportunities, we are always among the best at sending them!

And I just want to emphasize the point, we give up a ton of 3 point attempts, and it's much harder to block 3 pointers than 2 pointers.

And I just want to emphasize the point, we give up a ton of 3 point attempts, and it's much harder to block 3 pointers than 2 pointers.
JB has been quoted as saying he'd rather have teams taking 3 pointers, especially towards the end of the clock, than 2 point shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom