Legit question...Will Dungey be a Heisman Hopeful next season? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Legit question...Will Dungey be a Heisman Hopeful next season?

He just doesn't have the arm strength for it, among other things. I love the kid, but I don't see the NFL. Hope I'm wrong, on the Heisman, and NFL.

He just doesn't have the arm strength for it, among other things. I love the kid, but I don't see the NFL. Hope I'm wrong, on the Heisman, and NFL.
Respectable points.

I somewhat disagree on arm strength, he doesn't have a howitzer, but, he's got film of making the tough throws. That's only going to get better. You don't need a rocket arm to be productive in the NFL. I think he's more than adequate.

As far as the Heisman goes, the stats will be fine to get him in the discussion. The team must win though. Front runners are put in the conversation, with the winners almost exclusively coming from one of the best teams in the country.

If he continues to be productive, and we win some big ball games, he'll be in the discussion. I don't think there's a chance of that until his Sr. year though.

Is Patrick Mahomes considered a Heisman candidate? I think we'll have to be a 2-loss team before Dungey gets consideration...
Did you see the OU - TT game. Mahomes went for 800 yards and they still lost !!! It was an unbelievable game. Mahomes was perfect in converting something like 15 third & sevens (or longer). Unreal !!! As good as Dungey is, we need an overall upgrade of talent before he can become prolific enough to compete with the numbers some of these other guys put up from the really high scoring teams. Part of the problem for ED is that as a group our receivers aren't as good as the receivers on some of these other teams, so we get fewer of the 10 yard passes that get broken into 50+ yard TDs that inflate the QB's stats & that is not to mention that our guys aren't as open in the first place.

And as good as Mahomes was he missed 3 or 4 guys who were open long in the game. If he hits those maybe he goes for 1000 yards !! But despite all of that, Mayfield was actually the better QB in the game.

Last edited:
Did you see the OU - TT game. Mahomes went for 800 yards and they still lost !!! It was an unbelievable game. Mahomes was perfect in converting something like 15 third & sevens (or longer). Unreal !!! As good as Dungey is, we need an overall upgrade of talent before he can become prolific enough to compete with the numbers some of these other guys put up from the really high scoring teams.
It looked like 7 on 7 football. Great performance by Mahomes but absolutely no defense played in that game. Heck, same could be said for the most of the B12 conference.

IMO, it's just awful football where defense is an after thought. I love uptempo offense...but I appreciate teams that play good solid defense as well.

I would say his senior year but that would mean we would have to get a new stud receiving core now or next class, which doesnt seem likely. Unfortunately his numbers next season will take a dip without AET, unless Custis comes down from the rafters and goes off.

Dwight Freeney received two first place votes in 2001. Finished 9th.
Here are the rest that received votes:
Donovan McNabb, 13 first place votes in 1998. Finished 5th.
Don McPherson, 137 first place votes in 1987. Finished 2nd.
Larry Csonka, 22 first place votes in 1967. Finished 4th.
Floyd Little, 25 first place votes in 1966. Finished 5th.
Floyd Little, 51 first place votes in 1965. Finished 5th.
Ernie Davis, 179 first place votes in 1961. Won.
Jim Brown, 118 first place votes in 1956. Finished 5th.

Dwight Freeney was unequivocally the best player in college football in 2001.

There is no chance Dungey gets Heisman hype, unless we're winning all our games with him.

Look at the Texas Tech kid. Routinely puts up 500 yard games, but since the team doesn't win a ton, he's not a candidate. He just had 534 yd passing with 5 TD and 85 yards rushing and 2 TD's against Oklahoma. They lost.

Lots of kids will put up monster stats, but the ones that are on winning top 15 teams will get the most Heisman hype.

There is no chance Dungey gets Heisman hype, unless we're winning all our games with him.

Look at the Texas Tech kid. Routinely puts up 500 yard games, but since the team doesn't win a ton, he's not a candidate. He just had 534 yd passing with 5 TD and 85 yards rushing and 2 TD's against Oklahoma. They lost.

Lots of kids will put up monster stats, but the ones that are on winning top 15 teams will get the most Heisman hype.

Agreed but I think next year we will be a flirting with a top 25 ranking at some point and his senior year we could be a 9 or 10 win team if we get some lucky breaks.

McNabb finished 5th in 1998. I can't remember how many guys went to the ceremony back then. Maybe it was 5? 4? Donnie got screwed in 1987.

I think the general opinion was that Tim Brown won that year based on his college career instead of that particular season, which is supposed to be the criteria. No one was thinking of Donnie as a Heisman candidate before that season so it was too much for some voters to make the leap and vote for him. This is why it is good (essential?) that ED is starting to be mentioned as a Heisman candidate now - it will help voters choose him the next two seasons. I think SU should be gently nurturing this idea.

Case in point, I hadn't thought of ED as worthy of consideration as a Heisman candidate but I do now that someone has mentioned it - he has the look - but I would still vote for Lamar well ahead of ED this season.

It's not just wins. He'll (we'll) need a fast start (undefeated) through the first 4 weeks. And those two would go hand-in-hand.

Next year he'll start showing up IMO surprisingly high in mock drafts, as a lot of those guys just look at stats.

It's not just wins. He'll (we'll) need a fast start (undefeated) through the first 4 weeks. And those two would go hand-in-hand.

Next year he'll start showing up IMO surprisingly high in mock drafts, as a lot of those guys just look at stats.

A fake girlfriend would also be immensely helpful too. :p

I think the Heisman voting process would be better if they expanded beyond just 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place voting.
If that ever happened (which it won't), I could see Dungey getting some lower-level voting (4th place/5th place) if he continues on his current path.
Right now, though, if you're only picking the top three guys, it's more difficult to set aside the top players from the powerhouse programs like Alabama and OSU.
If SU isn't a top 10 or 20 program in the nation, Dungey's chances of Heisman consideration are low.

This maybe isn't a perfect example, but Matt Johnson passed for almost 5000 yards and 46 td's last year for Bowling Green. Seriously gaudy stats. Yeah, I know the level of competition was lower rated, on average, but he had a pretty incredible season for a QB.
There's no way that he was going to get any votes at all, though.

IDK, the Heisman has lost of lot of its luster over recent years. If you can name last year's winner without Google, I salute you.

I hope he doesn't get labeled a "system" QB.