Lester/Daoust/Acosta | Syracusefan.com

Lester/Daoust/Acosta

Nick44

All Conference
Has anyone considered the possibility if Lester was promoted to HC with Daoust as DC and Acosta as recruiting/special teams coordinator? It's not as crazy as it sounds if you consider -

1. The offense and special teams have moderately improved this year.
2. Lester has the most success as a head coach of anyone currently on this staff.
3. Daoust is widely respected as a DL coach and his promotion to DC is a matter of when not if.
4. This staff has proven it can recruit with middle-tier ACC competition.
5. For those concerned, this assures that the majority of the 2014-2015 class does not leave due to a change. Not to mention, commits from the 2016 class and recruiting connections already established.
6. A cheaper route if Coyle's budget is constrained due to renovation investment.
7. An improvement over the current clock management issues may already be on this staff.

Many might think that this is crazy, but I guarantee that it is more possible than many of the insane HC wish lists on this board.

Has anyone considered the possibility if Lester was promoted to HC with Daoust as DC and Acosta as recruiting/special teams coordinator? It's not as crazy as it sounds if you consider -

2. Lester has the most success as a head coach of anyone currently on this staff.
3. Daoust is widely respected as a DL coach and his promotion to DC is a matter of when not if.
5. For those concerned, this assures that the majority of the 2014-2015 class does not leave due to a change. Not to mention, commits from the 2016 class and recruiting connections already established.
6. A cheaper route if Coyle's budget is constrained due to renovation investment.
7. An improvement over the current clock management issues may already be on this staff.

Many might think that this is crazy, but I guarantee that it is more possible than many of the insane HC wish lists on this board.

How about if we keep things as they are but chain Shafer to a radiator in the locker room during games? That's the most cost effective way to improve the team, no?

No, it's exactly as crazy as it sounds.

If we change we need to go for a dramatic upgrade in staff/budget, otherwise don't bother.

A) If there were to be a change, the majority of the staff will not be kept intact, if any at all.
B) Hiring from within would not be the alternative utilized should this take place.
C) The only reason Daoust is still here is because of SS, you think he stays if he's let go?
D) Lester, who is also a loyal soldier to SS, certainly would not be offered the OC position by a new HC. Barring unique circumstances, a new HC is going to have "his" guys.
E) Acosta is a guy that I would think a new HC would look to possibly retain, but, there are so many variables you could never predict this.

F) and most importantly, most of this board is going to be very disappointed that there won't be a coaching change at the top this year. Sorry about your luck.

I'm going to start using this picture liberally...

zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills.jpg

I would not want to see this happen. Lester's offense really has not been as great as we think it has been, just hits big plays occasionally. What would you do with Bullough, just curious? But there is no doubt his defense hasn't been all that impressive this year

1. The offense "looks" better because of Dungey's ability to extend some plays. The statistics unfortunately do not support the notion that there is any substantial improvement. Slight improvement in some categories, yes... but moderate improvement - no way. If it seems like moderate improvement to you, it's because we're climbing from rock bottom... actually more like Mariana Trench bottom.

2. If there was a coaching search, would Lester's HC resume put him on the list? If not, then we shouldn't be looking for another "stability" hire.

3. Agree on Daoust to DC.

4. This staff has shown that it can recruit at a level consistent with ACC bottom feeders. Not sure where you're getting "middle tier" success numbers from.

5. The only reason to take the 2014-5 classes into consideration is if we hauled in a top 25 class. We're not sniffing that. Not even close, and it certainly makes this more of a non-factor when we find reasons to turn away 5-star talents. 5-star baggage would be a nice problem to have.

6. If we're investing hundreds of millions to renovation, it would be completely inconsistent to cut corners on the budget for a new staff.

STOP WANTING TO JUST PROMOTE COORDINATORS FOR "CONTINUITY"
Continuity would be limited to the new head coach keeping one or two assistant coaches from the former staff, typically for only a season or two.

Sometimes it's the rising star of the staff staying with a promotion, sometimes someone that the new HC already knows, or it's the guy that didn't leave with the departing staff for whatever reason. Who falls into which category could be a topic for another garbage thread, I guess.

1. The offense "looks" better because of Dungey's ability to extend some plays. The statistics unfortunately do not support the notion that there is any substantial improvement. Slight improvement in some categories, yes... but moderate improvement - no way. If it seems like moderate improvement to you, it's because we're climbing from rock bottom... actually more like Mariana Trench bottom.

2. If there was a coaching search, would Lester's HC resume put him on the list? If not, then we shouldn't be looking for another "stability" hire.

3. Agree on Daoust to DC.

4. This staff has shown that it can recruit at a level consistent with ACC bottom feeders. Not sure where you're getting "middle tier" success numbers from.

5. The only reason to take the 2014-5 classes into consideration is if we hauled in a top 25 class. We're not sniffing that. Not even close, and it certainly makes this more of a non-factor when we find reasons to turn away 5-star talents. 5-star baggage would be a nice problem to have.

6. If we're investing hundreds of millions to renovation, it would be completely inconsistent to cut corners on the budget for a new staff.
Good points. Not saying this is ideal, just that Syracuse has had a history of considering this angle (Coyle not included). I think my issue is that I haven't seen a realistic name out there yet that doesn't already have worts on his resume. Guys like Fuente/Herman/Rhule just aren't coming here. Not trying to be a downer, I just don't see it happening. Further, the Marrone experiment took all confidence out of the idea that we could find a good, not even great but good coach who could be successful here and stay for the long-term.

I posted this in another thread but for Syracuse I really think the ideal move (if it comes to that) is to go for someone similar to the Tuberville/O'Leary HC hires of the past 5 years. Guys who could come here, attract attention from the fanbase and create some stability and hopeful success for 8-10 years.

With a new IPF, a $100 million dome restoration under discussion, new ACC money coming in...and sixteen years of Diii quality ball behind us, the hell with continuity. I say go for a proven commodity. A winning HC on the upswing will attract better talent. Kids want to be coached-up so they have a chance at the next level. No more promoting of assistants to HC, I say. Pay the man and his staff...they will come...and so will better recruits.

F) and most importantly, most of this board is going to be very disappointed that there won't be a coaching change at the top this year. Sorry about your luck.

If we win 2 more games, everyone will be fine.

If we win 1 more game, ok. Yawn, but ok.

If we win 0 more games, then apathy will hit GRob levels, so no need to apologize. No one will care.

Good points. Not saying this is ideal, just that Syracuse has had a history of considering this angle (Coyle not included). I think my issue is that I haven't seen a realistic name out there yet that doesn't already have worts on his resume. Guys like Fuente/Herman/Rhule just aren't coming here. Not trying to be a downer, I just don't see it happening. Further, the Marrone experiment took all confidence out of the idea that we could find a good, not even great but good coach who could be successful here and stay for the long-term.

I posted this in another thread but for Syracuse I really think the ideal move (if it comes to that) is to go for someone similar to the Tuberville/O'Leary HC hires of the past 5 years. Guys who could come here, attract attention from the fanbase and create some stability and hopeful success for 8-10 years.
I think that is no longer the case. IF SU ups the budget to the $6 million area, they can attract high quality nanes like Campbell, etc.
New AD, new Chancellor, new IPC, new dome = new ball game.
We were all surprised with the Coyle hire and we will be again if there is a change.

I did not hear this from Coyle, but at the Orange Pack tent during Homecoming. People seem to think that Coyle wants a big name coach. This was also the impression from one of the parents who has a son playing on the team. This is nothing but what I heard. I also think he appreciates how hard this current staff is working. Work ethic is not a problem and the team plays very hard. This is very important to Coyle. Until we hear from the AD or Chancelor this all means nothing. I really want to support Shafer and I hope he gets it done, but we have to see more improvement. Attendance could be his undoing.

If we win 2 more games, everyone will be fine.

If we win 1 more game, ok. Yawn, but ok.

If we win 0 more games, then apathy will hit GRob levels, so no need to apologize. No one will care.

I hated the fact I "liked" this post but I think it dead-on fits.

A) If there were to be a change, the majority of the staff will not be kept intact, if any at all.
B) Hiring from within would not be the alternative utilized should this take place.
C) The only reason Daoust is still here is because of SS, you think he stays if he's let go?
D) Lester, who is also a loyal soldier to SS, certainly would not be offered the OC position by a new HC. Barring unique circumstances, a new HC is going to have "his" guys.
E) Acosta is a guy that I would think a new HC would look to possibly retain, but, there are so many variables you could never predict this.

'won't be a coaching change at the top this year'.
I wonder if Shafer's loyalty is going to be tested again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom