Lester on his Offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lester on his Offense

Isn't it alarming that his happy talk reminds us of the worst offense ever at SU?

Not at all? You're no longer beating a dead horse, you're beating a pool of slime. I respect your statistical prowess but just relax with the berating of the SU coaches. If you hate our system that much go root for Washington State and Mike Leach. By the way the guy you have such a boner for...his record over the past 3 years is 12-25.

Millhouse said:
this stuff offends me more than mcf*ckit's media forays KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT SHANAHAN AND KUBIAK MY GOD does lester know anything about Syracuse?
I'm sorry is that Bill Waltons 49er offense?

TheCusian said:
I'll give you that. His examples do being up bad memories. But: 1. I'm pretty sure he wasn't caring about what our OC was saying 10 years ago. He probably thought those examples would be helpful for the radio guys to understand what he was talking about. 2. When you list off all of those offenses and and say it's a little bit of all of them - it's a bit like saying lets go out for American food. Could mean anything. It's a wide net. I've heard him say it's "spread-like" too. So who knows?
Talking about Gary Kubiak isn't helpful. The next good Texans offense is the first

Whitey23 said:
I hope he can teach whatever it is better then he can describe it in the press. Who can forget this from November: "I've had people tell me it's spread," Lester said. "I've had people tell me it's 12 personnel. I've had people tell me it's 20 personnel." "It'll be multiple. That's one thing I know it will be." Said Lester: "It has to be able to go where it needs to go depending on what you're playing. The great thing is the guys think it's all one offense, but it really can be a lot of things."

Explaining it to the media is really, really different than installing and teaching it.

Whitey23 said:
I hope he can teach whatever it is better then he can describe it in the press. Who can forget this from November: "I've had people tell me it's spread," Lester said. "I've had people tell me it's 12 personnel. I've had people tell me it's 20 personnel." "It'll be multiple. That's one thing I know it will be." Said Lester: "It has to be able to go where it needs to go depending on what you're playing. The great thing is the guys think it's all one offense, but it really can be a lot of things."
Seriously...that's Gerg-ish. Holy hell.

JrodCuse said:
Not at all? You're no longer beating a dead horse, you're beating a pool of slime. I respect your statistical prowess but just relax with the berating of the SU coaches. If you hate our system that much go root for Washington State and Mike Leach. By the way the guy you have such a boner for...his record over the past 3 years is 12-25.

Funny that. The top of the coaching tree was squarely mediocre too.

Millhouse said:
Talking about Gary Kubiak isn't helpful. The next good Texans offense is the first

I don't know. He was taking about the run scheme. Zone blocking + Arian Foster was pretty good.

Rocco said:
All about execution and limiting mistakes. We'll be fine.
And pace IMO. It kind of goes hand in hand with execution. If we want to move quickly you have to have a detail oriented team. That's stuff that can be taught (and a big part of what we haven't done well).

OttoinGrotto said:
That offense would be H-orrible. Have you ever been to a volcano?
I go to them every day to pray

Being able to flip from 12 to 20 personnel only takes a simple shift. The way our H's and Y's can be utilized it's not a big deal, just a matter of alignment.

I don't care if you run the Power I, if it's executed it will work. My preference is fast paced no huddle. Formation is just a mechanism to play off your strengths, find tendencies and exploit weaknesses.

Everybody who thinks they can determine whether or not this offense will be succesful or not before it's ever taken a snap should publish a book.

Given the right execution and play calling we'll be fine. Given the converse, we'll struggle. This is the ultimate bs argument, nobody knows.

I have my opinion, but, I've been proven wrong more than once. If this offense is above average nationally, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But, that's not because I don't have faith in the system, any system can succeed.

He's with people like you. Flea flickers, statue of liberty's and fake snaps all game, beb.
that would surprise me less than invoking kubiak. i do expect more trick plays next year, cubit influence. the cuku offense

Being able to flip from 12 to 20 personnel only takes a simple shift. The way our H's and Y's can be utilized it's not a big deal, just a matter of alignment.

I don't care if you run the Power I, if it's executed it will work. My preference is fast paced no huddle. Formation is just a mechanism to play off your strengths, find tendencies and exploit weaknesses.

Everybody who thinks they can determine whether or not this offense will be succesful or not before it's ever taken a snap should publish a book.

Given the right execution and play calling we'll be fine. Given the converse, we'll struggle. This is the ultimate bs argument, nobody knows.

I have my opinion, but, I've been proven wrong more than once. If this offense is above average nationally, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But, that's not because I don't have faith in the system, any system can succeed.
do you think some offenses are easier to execute than others? is that why your preference is HUNH?

do you think some offenses are easier to execute than others? is that why your preference is HUNH?
Honestly, I think the major factor is personnel. That's my personal opinion.

But, all things being equal, and you've got what you need at QB, yes I think some offenses are definitively easier to execute.

Really not worrying or thinking too much about all these comments. It's silly to get excited or upset about anything he said. These are all the code words we've been hearing since the little engine that could rolled up to the dome.

... players picking it up quickly, west coast blah blah, mixture of everything, create mismatches, QB will check coverage to determine where to go, execution...

http://syracusefan.com/threads/qb-thoughts.90813/page-5#post-1399933
top 10 offenses last year all come from kelly leach meyer petrino or their former assistants
I understand where you are coming from. All other things being equal, there is a proven methodology for offensive success, and if you don't choose that path, you are consciously choosing not to reach your offensive potential.

How many coaches from that tree are available and qualified? How many teams can actually accede to that post?

Millhouse said:
Isn't it alarming that his happy talk reminds us of the worst offense ever at SU?

I think all coaches are full of this time of year. Really at all times of year, but I'll limit it for this purpose.

If we're 4 games into the season and he's actually running an O that requires John Elway, Terrell Davis and an OL slathered in Vaseline, then I'll freak out properly.

I understand where you are coming from. All other things being equal, there is a proven methodology for offensive success, and if you don't choose that path, you are consciously choosing not to reach your offensive potential.

How many coaches from that tree are available and qualified? How many teams can actually accede to that post?
the qualifications bar is set pretty low here already. between mcf*ckit and elmworst

BORING
Boring is this thread with all my posts deleted.

What happened?? Ignorant people without reading comprehension skills start hurling personal insults again??

I know there isn't a ton of stuff to discuss this time of the year outside of recruiting, but I think there is a little bit too much analysis going on about the various offenses Lester mentions. Hard to decipher anything out it since it could be a little bit of this, little bit of that - and what you get, out of the interview, is a little bit of nothing.

Will be interesting how Lester handles the offense - I hope our OL is up to their task to their tasks (one my largest worries, to be honest), and that Hunt has developed good touch and accuracy on his passes. Looking forward to seeing this offense, but just looking forward to the darn Football season to start.

Really not worrying or thinking too much about all these comments. It's silly to get excited or upset about anything he said. These are all the code words we've been hearing since the little engine that could rolled up to the dome.

... players picking it up quickly, west coast blah blah, mixture of everything, create mismatches, QB will check coverage to determine where to go, execution...
Don't forget multiple!