Lester to the Cubbies | Syracusefan.com

Lester to the Cubbies

Are the Cubs that close to winning? I just don't understand why they would pay that much cash for a pitcher for that long. I know they have a slew of good young players but this just seems like something that will handicap them in the future.

Are the Cubs that close to winning? I just don't understand why they would pay that much cash for a pitcher for that long. I know they have a slew of good young players but this just seems like something that will handicap them in the future.

Yes, they are that close to winning, they need one more outfielder/bat and one more starter which they will get. That said, are the Cubs ever that close? we shall see. Maddon was still their biggest pick up but they won 73 games last year, Giants won 89 or 90, they are close to the play offs.

Last edited:
Yes, they are that close to winning, they need one more outfielder/bat and one more starter which they will get. That said, are the Cubs ever that close? we shall see. Maddon was still their biggest pick up but they won 73 games last year, Giants won 89 or 90, they are close to the play offs.

Also depends on how fast the kids come along. They are loaded with high end young talent. Made on seems like a perfect fit and Lester should still have at least 3-4 years as a legit front end guy. Seems like a pretty decent deal. I also think the huge revenue stream that baseball has coming in will end up re calibrating pay rates. $25M per will be the next $20m per, which isn't all that rare.

Also depends on how fast the kids come along. They are loaded with high end young talent. Made on seems like a perfect fit and Lester should still have at least 3-4 years as a legit front end guy. Seems like a pretty decent deal. I also think the huge revenue stream that baseball has coming in will end up re calibrating pay rates. $25M per will be the next $20m per, which isn't all that rare.

They obviously wanted him badly and had to give the 6 years, their time is now, maybe 2016 but no further out. I am sure Maddon doesn't want to wait around. I agree on the young talent but one more starter and they will really be a force to reckon with. I am hoping

Yeah, it's about to be an exciting year in Chicago with the Cubs and White Sox both making moves to get back into playoff contention. Obviously nobody expects the Cubs rotation to repeat the way they played a year ago, but the 4 starters NOT counting Lester that they have returning had a collective ERA somewhere around 2.80. I think they'll make one more big move to bring in an OF like Justin Upton or Carlos Gonzalez or something and then they'll be in pretty good shape. Castro is an all-star SS. Rizzo was playing at an MVP level before he got injured last year. They should have a nice platoon at C with Montero and Castillo/Ross (whichever they end up with) and at 2B with Baez and La Stella. And Kris Bryant looks like the type of kid that can be promoted to the majors and immediately be a big-time player for them; he is absolutely incredible.

Something like:

Alcantara
Castro
Rizzo
Upton/Carlos Gonzalez
Soler
Montero/Castillo/Ross
Bryant/Valbuena
Baez/La Stella
Pitcher

That's a pretty good lineup right there if the young guys develop the way most expect.

Yeah, it's about to be an exciting year in Chicago with the Cubs and White Sox both making moves to get back into playoff contention. Obviously nobody expects the Cubs rotation to repeat the way they played a year ago, but the 4 starters NOT counting Lester that they have returning had a collective ERA somewhere around 2.80. I think they'll make one more big move to bring in an OF like Justin Upton or Carlos Gonzalez or something and then they'll be in pretty good shape. Castro is an all-star SS. Rizzo was playing at an MVP level before he got injured last year. They should have a nice platoon at C with Montero and Castillo/Ross (whichever they end up with) and at 2B with Baez and La Stella. And Kris Bryant looks like the type of kid that can be promoted to the majors and immediately be a big-time player for them; he is absolutely incredible.

Something like:

Alcantara
Castro
Rizzo
Upton/Carlos Gonzalez
Soler
Montero/Castillo/Ross
Bryant/Valbuena
Baez/La Stella
Pitcher

That's a pretty good lineup right there if the young guys develop the way most expect.

Seems that everybody is expecting one of the outfielders you mention and one more starting pitcher but we shall see. That line up looks damn good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom