Let's be real...

Discussion in 'Syracuse Football Board' started by longislandcuse, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Lou_C

Lou_C Scout Team

Alabama's defense is totally awesome, but like any defense, it's still vulnerable to great quarterbacks and receivers pitching it around. They just haven't had to face that in the SEC very often. Johnny Manziel, Chad Kelly, and not Deshaun Watson showed that you can give them fits if you can chuck it around.

But that's any defense really...that's why the quarterback is the most important position on the field.

2. SU94

SU94 Scout Team

Bama's QB is a true frosh. So, I give him a pass (even though he had trouble completing any in excess of 5 yards). He'll grow into something. But that fact that he was the SEC Offensive Player of the Year tells you everything you need to know. The SEC is amazing. Has been for the last 15 years (at least). But this year, in 2016, the ACC was better. The SEC was down. It might not have been the #2 conference (and that is okay). This was the ACC's year, that's cut & dry. Really no arguments to be had.

The ACC will have some MAJOR adjustments to make next year.
    Losing a ton of strong QBs (Watson/CU, Trabinsky/UNC, Kayya/Miami-Florida, Petersen-Pitt, Evans,/VPI).

Orangepace likes this.
  3. longislandcuse

longislandcuse Living Legend

ACC still has 3 teams in the Top 8 Vegas odds to win the title along with Va Tech and Miami in the Top 20.

FSU/Bama may play the first and last game of the season against each other.

PhatOrange likes this.
  4. IthacaBarrel

IthacaBarrel Shaky Potatoes

I thought the early clothes line on Watson was worthy of an ejection

5. IthacaBarrel

IthacaBarrel Shaky Potatoes

I look for FSU to be tough next year, I know Cook is gone but their Qb with a year under his belt will prove very difficult

PhatOrange and longislandcuse like this.
  6. longislandcuse

Agreed. Their defense is going to be absolutely filthy. I'd rather have Francois going into next season than Hurts. They lose Cook but bring in Cam Akers... reload.

7. NashvilleOrange

NashvilleOrange 2nd String

ACC was better than the SEC this year and it was nice that last night provided some final validation. Went back and forth on my rooting interests but was happy with the final result... The ACC has surpassed the SEC in coaching talent, a lot if it thanks to Nick Saban. He drove off Urban Meyer, Les Miles and Mark Richt and an elite level coach would be wise to avoid taking a job in the SEC West. I would take Petrino, Fisher, Swinney and Fuente over all coaches in the SEC outside of Saban.

Shrmdougluvr and longislandcuse like this.
  8. longislandcuse

He's not proven and we better be ready to pony up the $$$ when the time comes but I'm absolutely sold on Dino. I think he's right up there with Fuente as an up and comer in the coaching ranks.

RMH44, QUSE, CuseCrew08 and 3 others like this.
  9. ssbriefcase

ssbriefcase All Conference

CU just gave MacIntyre a 3 year extension for $16.25 yesterday.

PhatOrange likes this.
  10. o'sully33

o'sully33 2nd String

As someone who watched Bama quite a bit this year, and admittedly love watching SEC football, that Bama defense was pretty legit. As someone else mentioned, they gave up 14 points in 3 quarters against Clemson then ran out of gas in the 4th due to being on the field for 99 plays.

Bama lost because their offense absolutely disappeared for 75% of the second half. Defense did all you could realistically ask of it and held up great for much of the game against arguably the best offense in the country.

Doc5120 likes this.
  11. o'sully33

o'sully33 2nd String

Agreed, I thought Clemson's late success was more a product of Bama's offense not being able to give their defense a breather than it was Clemson figuring them out. Lots of missed tackles in the 4th that were TFL in the first half.

CuseFaninVT and ssbriefcase like this.
  12. o'sully33

o'sully33 2nd String

Thought the exact same thing. If Bama put together one sustained drive to get points instead of run, roll out throw away, token deep shot with no chance and punt for 7 series in a row the defense probably gets a rest and has more juice in the tank late.

13. longislandcuse

SEC football is unmatched in passion and pageantry. I too love watching SEC football but I don't think Bama is tested like they would be in the ACC as crazy as it sounds. I'd say this year, the ACC was the SEC with some great QB play.

The best offense/QB Bama went up against was Chad Kelly/Ole Miss who put up 43.

14. Melancer46

Melancer46 All Conference

Agreed.

15. IthacaMatt

IthacaMatt Hall of Fame

Syracuse 1959 statistically was one of the great all-time defenses. Bobby Bowden said it was the best he ever saw.

The ’59 Orange outfit was No. 1 in the nation in total offense (451.9 yards per game) and in total defense (96.2 yards per game), it was No. 1 in the nation in rushing offense (313.6 yards per game) and in rushing defense (19.3 yards per game), it was No. 1 in the nation in scoring points (39.0 per game) and pretty close to it in giving them up (6.6 per game).

Only 19 yards a game rushing allowed !!! 96 yards a game in total defense !!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  16. retro44

retro44 Women's Athletic Director

Clemson ran 99 plays and that brought a huge smile on Dino's face and a frown to Addazio's face.

Crusty likes this.
  17. OrangeDB

OrangeDB 2nd String

That's incredible lol.

Bama also gave up 13 points a game this year going into the Clemson game. 13 in this day and age with up tempo offenses is also impressive. They did score 11 touchdowns this season too. That's crazy

18. retro44

retro44 Women's Athletic Director

We lead the country that year in both offense and defense...can't find the stats,but they were insane as 8 out of the 11 teams had winning records that year

19. Ringostar57

Ringostar57 Starter

Alabama D was head hunting from the start. Refs let it go...helmet to helmet hit on Williams...screw concussions.

20. 4evaOrange

4evaOrange DON'T BAN ME BRO!!!!!

This game was won and lost with QB play.