Lets leave the NCAA | Syracusefan.com

Lets leave the NCAA

syr02esq

Starter
And ask other schools around the nation to do the same. You know other schools are thinking about it. Let's form another league because the NCAA in my mind has little credibility.

Who disagrees?

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that disagrees .

Last edited:
Even if every D1 school wants this, there's no way they'd follow a team who is leaving to avoid penalties. Just would never happen.

You do realize that we are the NCAA, right?

If you're talking about a different governing body for FBS, or even P-5, football that's one thing. It doesn't work so well for other sports, hoops in particular. Imagine 64/68 schools that only play each other. How many do you invite to the championship tournament? 16? The NCAA's tournament could be more popular. In all likelihood, both would suffer and the Golden Goose will have been cooked.

If you're talking about a different governing body for FBS, or even P-5, football that's one thing. It doesn't work so well for other sports, hoops in particular. Imagine 64/68 schools that only play each other. How many do you invite to the championship tournament? 16? The NCAA's tournament could be more popular. In all likelihood, both would suffer and the Golden Goose will have been cooked.

In bball you would have longer conference seasons playing everyone twice and much shorter OOC seasons and lots of buys in the conference tourneys. Then you would balance the conferences out in the pods so you avoided conference matchups for the first round of at least a 32 team tourney. You would get to see the best teams play each other much more in this format and you would almost always have great final four and finals matchups.

I wonder if it could be that easy .
It's not. You will need to recreate, in at least some small way, the infrastructure needed to support an organization of this size. You will need to get buy-in/sign-off from every member school as to the organizational principles, the overall set up, etc. You will need to decide who the members are, and how new members could be added (if desired). And these are just a few of the thousands of items that would need to be addressed. And, of course, the NCAA hoops tournament would never, ever, be the same.

Unless the NCAA really pushes hard against P5 'reform' and forces the P5's hand, I just don't see it happening.

It's not. You will need to recreate, in at least some small way, the infrastructure needed to support an organization of this size. You will need to get buy-in/sign-off from every member school as to the organizational principles, the overall set up, etc. You will need to decide who the members are, and how new members could be added (if desired). And these are just a few of the thousands of items that would need to be addressed. And, of course, the NCAA hoops tournament would never, ever, be the same.

Unless the NCAA really pushes hard against P5 'reform' and forces the P5's hand, I just don't see it happening.

Likely correct although we do see the P5 pushing the NCAA around much more often than in the past. The vale of power that the NCAA wields becomes incredibly more threadbare and transparent as time goes on. This will only continue as TV revenues soar and all the P5 conferences eventually have their own very successful networks. I do feel that the P5 will be happy to more or less dictate to the NCAA (behind the scenes) how things will change. You are correct though that it would be a major undertaking to create their own association complete with rules, procedures, oversight ect and it makes more sense to utilize the one that is already in place if you can control it to some extent.

Likely correct although we do see the P5 pushing the NCAA around much more often than in the past. The vale of power that the NCAA wields becomes incredibly more threadbare and transparent as time goes on. This will only continue as TV revenues soar and all the P5 conferences eventually have their own very successful networks. I do feel that the P5 will be happy to more or less dictate to the NCAA (behind the scenes) how things will change. You are correct though that it would be a major undertaking to create their own association complete with rules, procedures, oversight ect and it makes more sense to utilize the one that is already in place if you can control it to some extent.
Right. Your first line says it all. If the P5 has enough power to make the NCAA powers-that-be it's lapdog, why try to move on and reinvent the wheel?

In bball you would have longer conference seasons playing everyone twice and much shorter OOC seasons and lots of buys in the conference tourneys. Then you would balance the conferences out in the pods so you avoided conference matchups for the first round of at least a 32 team tourney. You would get to see the best teams play each other much more in this format and you would almost always have great final four and finals matchups.

So, we would play 28 conference games, and only 3 OOC?

If we beat each other up all year long, half the teams in your P5 would end up with losing records.

So, we would play 28 conference games, and only 3 OOC?

If we beat each other up all year long, half the teams in your P5 would end up with losing records.

Its not likely to happen but you would also see a longer season and practice starting much earlier as well as more allowed practice time. 35ish game season 3 games conference tourney unless you suck and have to play in the first 2 rounds. Then 5 games in the big tourney if you win them all. That's still only 43 games or so.

I think it would go like Will Ferrel's streaking scene from "Old School".

His scene at the Marriage councilors where he describes wondering about what type of panties the waitress could be wearing is one of my favorites.

32 teams? So, teams with losing records will make your tournament? Really?

The current NCAA tournament is what finances all of the NCAA's activities, with most of the tournament proceeds going back to the member institutions. If the P-5 conferences were to withdraw from the NCAA it would hurt all sports not named "football", including those in P-5 conferences.

Let the P-5 pay stipends to *all* scholarship athletes, yes that includes the field hockey and volleyball teams. Let all players receive proper meals and physical care, including non-scholarship athletes. Leave the rest alone.

Memorabilia == corruption, wait until the playing days are over.

Officially licensed apparel is a more interesting issue, but even that is troublesome.
If $1-$2 were placed in a player's savings account for each jersey sold, payable upon graduation, larger schools would have even more of an advantage in recruiting high profile players. "Melo, if you go to Syracuse they may only buy 2,000 of your jerseys. Come to My State U and we'll guarantee the sale of 25,000 jerseys. That's almost an extra $50k. Go State!"

it's not that difficult if you get imaginative, and start by embracing Coach Boeheim's proposal for a 96 team tournament.

first, you let all 65 (or whatever the final number ends up being) P5 teams in the tournament. Seed them 1-32. The top 32 teams get a first round by. Then, you invite 31 teams (or whatever, to make the total 96) from outside the P5 to participate, mix them with the lower level P5 teams, and seed them 33-96. They play off the first weekend and then you have your 64 team field going forward.

it's not that difficult if you get imaginative, and start by embracing Coach Boeheim's proposal for a 96 team tournament.

first, you let all 65 (or whatever the final number ends up being) P5 teams in the tournament. Seed them 1-32. The top 32 teams get a first round by. Then, you invite 31 teams (or whatever, to make the total 96) from outside the P5 to participate, mix them with the lower level P5 teams, and seed them 33-96. They play off the first weekend and then you have your 64 team field going forward.
JAB wants the best 96 teams, not 30+ teams with losing records. You'd have those bottom feeders play the best non-P5 teams. Sounds elitist, especially when many of those are at the top of the polls. This proposal simply won't work.

JAB wants the best 96 teams, not 30+ teams with losing records. You'd have those bottom feeders play the best non-P5 teams. Sounds elitist, especially when many of those are at the top of the polls. This proposal simply won't work.
actually, JB even entertained the proposal to "let everyone in," so he isn't necessarily wedded to just the top 96 teams.

if the P5 teams are going to exit the NCAA eventually - and I think they are & that is a good thing - then some format has to come up that will keep March Madness roughly as we know it. My proposal is at least feasible, so the notion that "it can't be done" is dead. Let's hear other options.

Let's hear other options.
It's fine the way it is. A P-5 basketball championship is silly. Last year's bracket would've left out 38 of 68 teams which would've been replaced by 30+ teams with losing records. How you don't see that as a problem/farce is beyond me. All teams with losing records already had a chance to make the tournament... they only needed to win their conference (tournament).

I'll add again, the current NCAA hoops tournaments funds all college championships other than football. For the P-5 to simply leave will destroy the rest of college sports. There are a couple of senators that would definitely make it their business.

Last edited:
32 teams? So, teams with losing records will make your tournament? Really?

The current NCAA tournament is what finances all of the NCAA's activities, with most of the tournament proceeds going back to the member institutions. If the P-5 conferences were to withdraw from the NCAA it would hurt all sports not named "football", including those in P-5 conferences.

Let the P-5 pay stipends to *all* scholarship athletes, yes that includes the field hockey and volleyball teams. Let all players receive proper meals and physical care, including non-scholarship athletes. Leave the rest alone.

Memorabilia == corruption, wait until the playing days are over.

Officially licensed apparel is a more interesting issue, but even that is troublesome.
If $1-$2 were placed in a player's savings account for each jersey sold, payable upon graduation, larger schools would have even more of an advantage in recruiting high profile players. "Melo, if you go to Syracuse they may only buy 2,000 of your jerseys. Come to My State U and we'll guarantee the sale of 25,000 jerseys. That's almost an extra $50k. Go State!"
Imagine what would happen to women's sports.

It's fine the way it is. A P-5 basketball championship is silly. Last year's bracket would've left out 38 of 68 teams which would've been replaced by 30+ teams with losing records. How you don't see that as a problem/farce is beyond me.
I don't see it is a problem because I believe in expanding the field . . . no worthy team would be left out

how about we stay and play by the rules
I was about to say the same thing. Look, we don't pay players or commit major crimes. But we do go over the speed limit on a regular basis. Has the NCAA made too big a deal of it, yes. But are aren't without blame in this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom