Likelihood to be back next year: Rank them | Syracusefan.com

Likelihood to be back next year: Rank them

pearl31

in cahoots
Mike G, CMac, BJ, Buss...
Rank them in the order of likelihood you think they'll be back next year. '1' = most certain to be back and '4' = least certain to be back.
I'll start
1: Patterson
2: G
3: Chris
4: BJ

Didn't Cmac already say he was def coming back.

He said he would definitely be back playing basketball again. Two very different things.

1. Mike
2. Cmac
3. Buss
4. BJ

1. CMac
2. Gbinije
3. BJ
4. Buss

This was harder than I thought it would be. If G comes back, I think he'll get more minutes at SG. Factoring in the addition of Malachi along with Cooney, and there are zero minutes left at guard. I just don't see how Patterson will see the court.

Europe. I don't see why he would. Make a run in your final year of college. Get your Grad degree. Increase your standing for the NBA and if that fails you go overseas anyway after next year.
Fans put WAY more importance on "making a run". The young man may well want to move on with his life. If he is "only" an overseas talent, why not go now. If he has work to do to get to the NBA, go do it full time, and get paid. If he wants to be a doctor, get started now.
More reasons to go than stay, IMO.

Fans put WAY more importance on "making a run". The young man may well want to move on with his life. If he is "only" an overseas talent, why not go now. If he has work to do to get to the NBA, go do it full time, and get paid. If he wants to be a doctor, get started now.
Do you feel that way about Rakeem Christmas?

Chris = 1
Mike = 2.5
BJ = 2.5
Buss = 4

Its hard to envision guys that you've rooted for leaving especially when they show great promise in the future but this is college athletics these days and you have to be realistic about the players perspectives and the staffs.

The following is pure speculation:

Chris: JB said he would be back which makes sense considering he was in a freshman swoon when he went down and he would likely slip put of the lottery.

Mike: He's graduating, is going to be 22/23 and may just be ready to play for pay or ready to be done with school.

BJ: If Mike is back looking realistically at minutes Mike is the starting 3. You still have Roberson and McCullough 2 other forward starters coming back. Both starting guards come back and 2 more come in one of them at the position you might get minutes at happens to be a burger boy. BJ is a very talented player as well that has shown he can put up points and when he gets in a grove can really shoot it. He simply may not want to spend another season with the possibility of limited minutes. If Mike goes this opens up a lot more opportunity for BJ in the front court where his skill set with the shooting is also unique for the returning forwards so then more likelihood of a bigger role and his returning.

Buss: I think the guard play at the PG spot has been so uncharacteristically poor this year from what we are used to that many are over valuing the good that Ron has done when he's played. He cannot shoot, does not posses a good enough handle to be the primary ball handler, all his playmaking on offense has been because he hasn't been guarded and he gambles and misses assignments almost as much on defense as he makes good plays. (Possibly more) He plays because Mike can orchestrate the offense from the SF position and Joseph has struggled on both ends. Next year Cooney and Kaleb are back, Mike might be back and we bring in Malachi and Frank. Its hard to see Buss getting meaningful minutes and of course we are recruiting guys like Battle, Simmons in the following class. Ron is likely not going to make money playing bball so his age doesn't really matter when transferring because at that point he may well want to extend his college career as long as possible to get the most out of it. I like his hustle and he seems to have a great attitude but what he does on offense is vastly overrated by the board IMO and what he does on defense is masked by great hustle and the lack of us seeing much if any good defense at the top of the zone this year. IMO you are kidding yourselves if you don't think the staff will suggest that he transfer. Not saying he will 100% but it will be suggested IMO.

I don't know, I think that's probably true more than not but some guys have come back (on other teams over the years) because they wanted to be part of a championship run... it does happen. As for going now, we all know that Christmas certainly made the right move. He was clearly considered a Europe player until this year and look what coming back did for him. Most have him going in the first round.

I think for G, if he gets the opportunity to play a position (guard) that he would likely play in the NBA, he could use next year to show how he could actually "fit" into a team's scheme. If he is part of a team that gets a lot of exposure (and we should next year since we will likely be ranked fairly high so long as there is no ban), he could garner a lot of interest from the NBA. He just needs to continue to hit the 3 (and mid-range shot) consistently - which he can do, drive and slash more, and just be an all around better play maker. The latter is the thing I would like him to improve on the most going into next year. We all know he can shoot. However, too often he makes mistakes that he will have to eliminate. I really believe that G has a lot more upside to his game that he could show next year that would get him into the NBA.

Europe. I don't see why he would. Make a run in your final year of college. Get your Grad degree. Increase your standing for the NBA and if that fails you go overseas anyway after next year.

I dunno, Sabach, I just don't see the likelihood of a guy improving his draft stock between age 23 and 24. He is who he is at this point.

You have a fixed window of time that you can earn a living playing basketball before your body starts to decline in your early 30s. If he stays another year at SU (which I obviously hope he does for selfish reasons) that's a year of say a couple hundred K that he could be missing out on.

I don't know, I think that's probably true more than not but some guys have come back (on other teams over the years) because they wanted to be part of a championship run... it does happen. As for going now, we all know that Christmas certainly made the right move. He was clearly considered a Europe player until this year and look what coming back did for him. Most have him going in the first round.

I think for G, if he gets the opportunity to play a position (guard) that he would likely play in the NBA, he could use next year to show how he could actually "fit" into a team's scheme. If he is part of a team that gets a lot of exposure (and we should next year since we will likely be ranked fairly high so long as there is no ban), he could garner a lot of interest from the NBA. He just needs to continue to hit the 3 (and mid-range shot) consistently - which he can do, drive and slash more, and just be an all around better play maker. The latter is the thing I would like him to improve on the most going into next year. We all know he can shoot. However, too often he makes mistakes that he will have to eliminate. I really believe that G has a lot more upside to his game that he could show next year that would get him into the NBA.

I agree with this but that doesn't mean that Mike does. I think he has a chance to like Rak play his way into being an NBA draft pick as a senior. I think that he has a better chance to do this as a point forward for us than as a guard where he kind of gets exposed IMO. If he plays point forward for us next year where he has the matchup advantage most of the time he could do this and the NBA people can dream about moving him to PG. If he plays PG I think he will struggle a lot at least in the early going because he isn't going to be beating PG's off the bounce and he has no post up game. I think in the long run if he makes the NBA its as a 2g that can help distribute.

G
BJ/McC
Buss.

Really don't see Buss getting much run in the next few years, but that's just me.

1. Chris M
2.G (If he plays PG next yr & has a great yr he still will have a shot to get drafted)
3. BJ (they can always find a spot for a 3 pt shooter who has now shown something)
4. Buss (going to get buried with the incoming frosh and G playing more PG)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom