Likelihood to be back next year: Rank them | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Likelihood to be back next year: Rank them

I think that either Buss or Chino transfer. As to G he can play off shore after next year but he can never get paid 50-60k to go to grad school. If im him i secure the degree for free and work to become an NBA pg. If it doesnt work out he has the free tuition and can still play off shore

I could see any or all of G, CMC, Patterson, BJ, Joseph and/or Chino not returning. I could also see them all returning.

Cooney and Coleman are probably the only two I am 100% comfortable saying will be on the roster next year.

Mike: He's graduating, is going to be 22/23 and may just be ready to play for pay or ready to be done with school.

Just saying. Sam Young (Pittsburgh) was 24 and was a high second round pick in 2009.

and Bernard James (Florida State) was 27 and was also a high second round pick.

Just saying. Sam Young (Pittsburgh) was 24 and was a high second round pick in 2009.

and Bernard James (Florida State) was 27 and was also a high second round pick.

None of this has anything to do with what Mike wants to do. I didn't mention his age in the context of the NBA simply saying he's older and has been in college for 4 years and may be ready to move on. It only has to make sense to Mike and this is something as fans we seem to have a hard time grasping.

There are very good reasons that most people do not mention Chino as a transfer option. Just saying.

Besides his limited skillset, didn't he already lose a year of eligibility? I can't see him leaving by choice.

None of this has anything to do with what Mike wants to do. I didn't mention his age in the context of the NBA simply saying he's older and has been in college for 4 years and may be ready to move on. It only has to make sense to Mike and this is something as fans we seem to have a hard time grasping.

But, move on to where to do what ? Nobody seems to answer this, but many keep saying the following below.

People say "G is a different, and has different priorities" what does that mean. Just asking ?

Besides his limited skillset, didn't he already lose a year of eligibility? I can't see him leaving by choice.

Highschool teammate of Bryant and good friend.
Excellent student and APR guy.
Also with the attrition we have seen from big guys why would we want him to go. Next year and the following season he may be able to offer better back up minutes than it appears now IF needed.

But, move on to where to do what ? Nobody seems to answer this, but many keep saying the following below.

People say "G is a different, and has different priorities" what does that mean. Just asking ?

Play for pay! D or over seas. I know nothing about what type of person G is or is not.

Also with the attrition we have seen from big guys why would we want him to go. Next year and the following season he may be able to offer better back up minutes than it appears now IF needed.
So youre saying wo the ncaa hammer, Bryant is coming? I would assume if the ncaa takes away 2 schollys, we lose TB

CuseHulk is BACKKKKKKK!!

200.gif

So youre saying wo the ncaa hammer, Bryant is coming? I would assume if the ncaa takes away 2 schollys, we lose TB

Correct but in the sense of a ban next season. I believe Bryant comes here if there isn't one. As far as schollies they cannot take them for next season that wouldn't start until the following season and I believe that it would only be able to be the amount of seniors we clear. Remember starting this July all ships are guaranteed for 4 years so losing ships may go away all together otherwise how can you guarantee them?

Correct but in the sense of a ban next season. I believe Bryant comes here if there isn't one. As far as schollies they cannot take them for next season that wouldn't start until the following season and I believe that it would only be able to be the amount of seniors we clear. Remember starting this July all ships are guaranteed for 4 years so losing ships may go away all together otherwise how can you guarantee them?
So its just a ban we may have to worry about?

So its just a ban we may have to worry about?

We still may see some lost ships, vacated wins, probation or even some minor restrictions on recruiting as far as contacting players but IMO the big issue is are we banned past this season. I think we will be OK but I do not feel its set in stone and I am not one of those that feels we had a solid agreement in place when we self imposed. It seems to me there would have been an announcement by now if that was the case because the waiting time doesn't benefit SU or the NCAA. I would also add that we likely appeal any of these other penalties above and possibly file litigation so they may go away before being instated. If we get a 2nd year ban I would bet money we file litigation and go after them hard with ACC backing and P5 watching intently.

Last edited:

Completely agree about the attrition issue. I certainly hope DCII can come back and stay healthy for the remainder of his time at SU, but I don't think anyone counts on that.

Completely agree about the attrition issue. I certainly hope DCII can come back and stay healthy for the remainder of his time at SU, but I don't think anyone counts on that.

Exactly its the hope and he's on track but you absolutely cannot count on it. Even if healthy when the season starts I suspect they will limit his action and even perhaps have a max number of minutes for him at least until 2nd semester to see how it goes.

We still may see some lost ships, vacated wins, probation or even some minor restrictions on recruiting as far as contacting players but IMO the big issue is are we banned past this season. I think we will be OK but I do not feel its set in stone and I am not one of those that feels we had a solid agreement in place when we self imposed. It seems to me there would have been an announcement by now if that was the case because the waiting time doesn't benefit SU or the NCAA. I would also add that we likely appeal any of these other penalties above and possibly file litigation so they may go away before being instated. If we get a 2nd year ban I would bet money we file litigation and go after them hard with ACC backing and P% watching intently.
I dont know, the acc is now a mess between the crap w us, the cluster F at UNC and now this duk stuff where they might not have reported xes abuse allegations. Not sure what position the acc is to challenge anyone legally and have full disclosure in court

Personally I think McCullough is the most likely to go. Don't know any inside info but it's known if you read the board that he has thought all along he was a one-and-done.

Gbinije should definitely come back. He got hot for a stretch but he's not ready for the NBA - not by a long shot. And unless he really hates college that much, which as a basketball player at a Division I institution I'm not sure how that's possible, he will stay.

The two other guys would be kind of crazy to leave, unless they're told they won't play many minutes next year by the coaching staff. I would say Patterson would be the most likely to be given that ultimatum, with Richardson coming in with accolades to go along with Joseph, Cooney & Gbinije all coming back.

I have never been as big a BJ Johnson fan as many on this board, but I still think he could add some value as a shooter at this level. He really needs to improve in the strength department, however, if he's ever going to play on the wing in our zone. You have Roberson, McCullough (maybe), Gbinije (if he's back, and if Joseph/Cooney remain starters which they probably will), and then a bunch of unknowns. I really think Lydon is going to impress people - but there likely won't be many minutes to go around.

I dont know, the acc is now a mess between the crap w us, the cluster F at UNC and now this duk stuff where they might not have reported xes abuse allegations. Not sure what position the acc is to challenge anyone legally and have full disclosure in court

hah, I've been in a cave didn't even hear about the Duke stuff. That said the ACC us a power conference with lots of money and clout with a vested interest in seeing the NCAA go easy on us as one of their premier bball programs but also in relation to the penalty that UNC will incur. Less for us is less for UNC which is all relative. I'll have to google the Duke thing today but when has Duke ever gotten in trouble? Seriously, they have had plenty of things come up and its always nadda on the NCAA end because the NCAA picks and choses whom they feel like picking on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom