Likelihood to be back next year: Rank them | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Likelihood to be back next year: Rank them

I see the possibility that G moves to starting point guard next year and KJ sees the writing on the wall.

Wonder what the difference in pay is for kid overseas (playing in Italy or Spain certainly sounds like a great way to spend your mid-20s) versus playing in the D-league. Yeah, I'd forego my NBA dreams to play in Spain for a decade or so as opposed to being on the Maine Red Claws. But that's just me.

hah, I've been in a cave didn't even hear about the Duke stuff. That said the ACC us a power conference with lots of money and clout with a vested interest in seeing the NCAA go easy on us as one of their premier bball programs but also in relation to the penalty that UNC will incur. Less for us is less for UNC which is all relative. I'll have to google the Duke thing today but when has Duke ever gotten in trouble? Seriously, they have had plenty of things come up and its always nadda on the NCAA end because the NCAA picks and choses whom they feel like picking on.
This may be diff than the duk lax thing but yes they are probably as untouchable as anyone

1. G
2. CMac
3. BJ
4. Ron

I like Ron's ability to drive to the basket but don't see much playing time for him next year, especially if the backcourt will consist of G, Cooney, Joseph, and Malachi all ahead of him.

1. Cmac
2. G
When discussing Paterson leaving, people fail to take into consideration is that he is already 22. Add a redshirt year and you are looking at a 25 year old graduate. Even if he is considering a pro career, what kid wants to graduate at 25?

3 and 4 BJ and Ron leave

I'm shocked that DC hasn't really been much in the thread, I think with him missing large parts of both of the last two seasons. I think there is a decent possibility to that he could leave the team due to injury and be put on some other type of scholarship so he has the ability to finish his degree.

Why is KJ not on this list? I think there is a good chance that G is the PG next season.
Agree with that.

If we were to land Tyus Battle when he makes his decision this spring and G decides to return, I can see KJ reading the tea leaves and looking for a better situation for himself. Just a thought...

Agree with that.

If we were to land Tyus Battle when he makes his decision this spring and G decides to return, I can see KJ reading the tea leaves and looking for a better situation for himself. Just a thought...

Seems like a message was sent tonight to the freshman. "you can't handle playing against a good team like UVA" being the message.

Fans put WAY more importance on "making a run". The young man may well want to move on with his life. If he is "only" an overseas talent, why not go now. If he has work to do to get to the NBA, go do it full time, and get paid. If he wants to be a doctor, get started now.
More reasons to go than stay, IMO.

Fans also think landing a hoops gig in Europe is a simple item. It's not.

The only player that I can see transferring, barring a second post-season ban, is Patterson. If you think about next year's depth chart with everyone playing in their ideal positions, it looks something like this:

PG: KJ, Howard
SG: Cooney, G, Richardson, Patterson
SF: BJ
PF: CMac, Roberson, Diagne, Lydon
C: Coleman, Chino, Bryant?

Now certainly, both G and (probably) Richardson can play the SF spot, but they're best off up top. Furthermore, given G's ability to play pg at times, I think we could easily see lineups that look much more like tonight's starting one with G, Cooney, BJ/Richardson, CMac/Roberson, and Coleman giving us length and shooting at positions 1-3. Patterson doesn't offer either of those traits currently, and he can really only play SG--he's definitely not sliding to pg or sf. It's hard to see him getting really any minutes at SG with Cooney, G, and Richardson ahead of him. Even his senior year, he'd likely have to contend with Richardson, Howard, and potentially Battle (or another yet to be signed SG) for minutes at the 2, given that there's not enough minutes at the point for Howard, KJ and Battle. Looking at our roster, we have too many SG's and PF's, and not enough SF's. It's pretty much that simple.

Now, Cmac, or G could choose to go pro in some way or another, or Coleman could end not being able to come back, but if we're talking transfers, Patterson's the only logical choice.

At this point I don't see BJ going. He has made such a huge leap in his play along with his standing on the team. I think he keeps moving forward. I am now going to question KJ also. He has not really picked up on what JB is looking for from him. Pretty much the opposite of BJ. BJ listened to what he was told, and learned. KJ has struggled with this. I think he is frustrated at this point, and may look to move in another direction. I hope not as another year can always make a huge difference in a player's ability.
I still have to question CMac for a variety of reasons.
Patterson is my next choice.
No one else is going anywhere.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kaleb Joseph running the point at, say, Providence in two years.

I hope he doesn't leave, because I think there's potential in there. But it wouldn't shock me one bit.

Wouldn't MG have gotten his jersey and done the senior day thing if he was really thinking of leaving? Maybe not, but isn't that what we do in football? Jarrod West walked twice I believe.

The only player that I can see transferring, barring a second post-season ban, is Patterson. If you think about next year's depth chart with everyone playing in their ideal positions, it looks something like this:

PG: KJ, Howard
SG: Cooney, G, Richardson, Patterson
SF: BJ
PF: CMac, Roberson, Diagne, Lydon
C: Coleman, Chino, Bryant?

Now certainly, both G and (probably) Richardson can play the SF spot, but they're best off up top. Furthermore, given G's ability to play pg at times, I think we could easily see lineups that look much more like tonight's starting one with G, Cooney, BJ/Richardson, CMac/Roberson, and Coleman giving us length and shooting at positions 1-3. Patterson doesn't offer either of those traits currently, and he can really only play SG--he's definitely not sliding to pg or sf. It's hard to see him getting really any minutes at SG with Cooney, G, and Richardson ahead of him. Even his senior year, he'd likely have to contend with Richardson, Howard, and potentially Battle (or another yet to be signed SG) for minutes at the 2, given that there's not enough minutes at the point for Howard, KJ and Battle. Looking at our roster, we have too many SG's and PF's, and not enough SF's. It's pretty much that simple.

Now, Cmac, or G could choose to go pro in some way or another, or Coleman could end not being able to come back, but if we're talking transfers, Patterson's the only logical choice.
"With everyone playing in their ideal positions..?" Might as well create a lineup of players that are already out of eligibility as its just as likely to really happen. Just my opinion but...

PG - KJ, G, Howard
SG: Cooney, Richardson, G, BJ, Patterson, Howard
SF: G, Richardson, BJ, TRob, Lydon
PF: CMac, TRob, DC2, Diagne, Lydon
C: Bryant?, DC2, CMac, Diagne, Chino

Reality is we'll only play 8; Cooney, G, CMac, TRob, DC2, Richardson + the next 2 best players, tbd. Bryant would be a 7th if he comes then there's only 1 more spot open. My guess would be Howard, Joseph and Buss battling it out as the other PG.

I still say Chino leaving is possible. Not likely but possible. So they were HS team mates. They play the same position and there are 2 years between them. If Bryant does come here Chino is the #5 option at center and he's not playing now as the #2 option. Obviously the #2 will play much more without Rak as the #1 but when do you ever see the #5 center play? I'm starting to think if we do get an open scholly that a Juco PG might be more useful than Bryant. G as the #1 PG does not leave me warm and fuzzy for next year.

If KJ does leave (I'm skeptical, but wouldn't be surprised at all) and we see another transfer, we absolutely have to bring in a 5th year Guard, even with or without Bryant.

What happens if KJ transfers and G decides to take his degree and attempt a pro career?

Personally I think McCullough is the most likely to go. Don't know any inside info but it's known if you read the board that he has thought all along he was a one-and-done.

Gbinije should definitely come back. He got hot for a stretch but he's not ready for the NBA - not by a long shot. And unless he really hates college that much, which as a basketball player at a Division I institution I'm not sure how that's possible, he will stay.

The two other guys would be kind of crazy to leave, unless they're told they won't play many minutes next year by the coaching staff. I would say Patterson would be the most likely to be given that ultimatum, with Richardson coming in with accolades to go along with Joseph, Cooney & Gbinije all coming back.

I have never been as big a BJ Johnson fan as many on this board, but I still think he could add some value as a shooter at this level. He really needs to improve in the strength department, however, if he's ever going to play on the wing in our zone. You have Roberson, McCullough (maybe), Gbinije (if he's back, and if Joseph/Cooney remain starters which they probably will), and then a bunch of unknowns. I really think Lydon is going to impress people - but there likely won't be many minutes to go around.
That's not what he said today.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom