Look at this staff. | Syracusefan.com

Look at this staff.

DoubleDee

All American
I was just going through an old program from 1977. Maloney had a ridiculous staff at that time. Look at the amount of Super Bowl rings and national championships. Am I the only one who didn't realize Saban was here? I'd say the assistants surpassed their former boss by just a hair.
image.jpg

I was just going through an old program from 1977. Maloney had a ridiculous staff at that time. Look at the amount of Super Bowl rings and national championships. Am I the only one who didn't realize Saban was here? I'd say the assistants surpassed their former boss by just a hair.
View attachment 39062
maloney, was not given enough time, in that era, to succeed. i think had he not gotten the bad press, he could have been a great coach, building on the dome, the coaches he got at the time. we really sold that guy short, as well as the program. you tell a guy to build something from ashes, plays all his games on the road,tries to recruit on a promise,takes the place of a syracuse icon, in ben s.(who could no longer recruit because of facilities) and still had a number of great su guys.--if we stayed with him ,and helped him-- just maybe it could be a different now. enuf said

Kinda like Doug - he whined and moaned and complained about the stadium's effect on recruiting. Unlike Doug, he got his wish granted, then got canned. Doug didn't quite get his wish and walked away. Sad ending to both stories. Too bad Frank never got to exploit the Dome on the recruiting trail.

maloney, was not given enough time, in that era, to succeed. i think had he not gotten the bad press, he could have been a great coach, building on the dome, the coaches he got at the time. we really sold that guy short, as well as the program. you tell a guy to build something from ashes, plays all his games on the road,tries to recruit on a promise,takes the place of a syracuse icon, in ben s.(who could no longer recruit because of facilities) and still had a number of great su guys.--if we stayed with him ,and helped him-- just maybe it could be a different now. enuf said

If he had such potential he wouldn't have gone on to selling tickets for the Cubs

View attachment 39062
Ask Orangejet about playing for Saban

I work with a guy who played for both Maloney and Coach Mac. His perception is that Maloney couldn't and/or wouldn't engage with SU alums costing himself much goodwill. He also stated that Maloney was trying to replicate the Michigan program at SU.

I work with a guy who played for both Maloney and Coach Mac. His perception is that Maloney couldn't and/or wouldn't engage with SU alums costing himself much goodwill. He also stated that Maloney was trying to replicate the Michigan program at SU.
i heard the same thing as well as he did not pay appropriate homage to ben--both----errors----duplicating michigan---not so bad, --- he was a new head coach and needed to be helped(maturity?)----well its all a moot point