looked at cooney in conference before, this time I'll look just overall | Syracusefan.com

looked at cooney in conference before, this time I'll look just overall

Millhouse

Living Legend
Here's the list of major conference players since 1997-98 with 561 or more 3 point shots by their junior year with a percentage less than or equal to .333

Bernard King Texas A&M 2000-2002
Talor Battle Penn State 2008-2010
Mike Rosario 2009-2012
Cooney

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trevor-cooney-1.html

he's shooting 28% from the field the last 7 games but he's still shooting 11 times a game in that stretch

Is Boeheim going to give him the green light next year? Or will he be like scoop jardine and shoot 7 times a game?

Here's the list of major conference players since 1997-98 with 561 or more 3 point shots by their junior year with a percentage less than or equal to .333

Bernard King Texas A&M 2000-2002
Talor Battle Penn State 2008-2010
Mike Rosario 2009-2012
Cooney

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trevor-cooney-1.html

he's shooting 28% from the field the last 7 games but he's still shooting 11 times a game in that stretch

Is Boeheim going to give him the green light next year? Or will he be like scoop jardine and shoot 7 times a game?

He's got his chucker pass. Once obtained, this thing is like a Forever Stamp. We are stuck with this for another year. I just hope he learns to take better shots.

28 percent in conference this year. Wow. That is downright terrible, made worse when you think about the volume of attempts. I see it reflected in that link you sent, his expected salary of 6 k. LOL

He's got his chucker pass. Once obtained, this thing is like a Forever Stamp. We are stuck with this for another year. I just hope he learns to take better shots.

28 percent in conference this year. Wow. That is downright terrible, made worse when you think about the volume of attempts. I see it reflected in that link you sent, his expected salary of 6 k. LOL
Here's your list of players since 2010-11 (that's as far back as the data goes) other than cooneywith that many 3 attempts in conference per game in a season with that low a percentage

That's the list

Last edited:
smh

I know the response is going to be that you're just providing information, but we all know the implications associated with it. So, that aside, what's the point of these threads? I'm not about to get into an argument with 20 people again over a player who I think is good but not great, but have to defend as if I think he's Jesus just to counteract the stupidity in a lot of the criticism. I'm not saying Millhouse's implied criticism is stupid, I just know the responses threads like this tend to breed.

Also, is it not fair to say his Freshman season stats should just be thrown in a dumpster and lit on fire? Bad Sophmore Cooney was lightyears ahead of good Freshman Cooney. Those Freshman stats aren't statistically representative of his ability or value, IMO.

smh

I know the response is going to be that you're just providing information, but we all know the implications associated with it. So, that aside, what's the point of these threads? I'm not about to get into an argument with 20 people again over a player who I think is good but not great, but have to defend as if I think he's Jesus just to counteract the stupidity in a lot of the criticism. I'm not saying Millhouse's implied criticism is stupid, I just know the responses threads like this tend to breed.

Also, is it not fair to say his Freshman season stats should just be thrown in a dumpster and lit on fire? Bad Sophmore Cooney was lightyears ahead of good Freshman Cooney. Those Freshman stats aren't statistically representative of his ability or value, IMO.
junior cooney is in between freshman and soph cooney and only 15% of his threes came his freshman year

if you don't like these threads, lets hope the green light becomes a little more yellow next year when it matters more

I get the OP and do wish Cooney would take better shots often but look what else we have? Nothing. Boeheim addressed it in the last presser post Duke. You have to go with what you have. He basically was stating that the evidence and numbers aren't there to support others making threes or others taking Cooney's minutes. He is a threat out there and draws attention. BJ, Ron, and Kaleb draw zero attention. Sad. I think tonight is going to be the BC gameplan vs Rak if Rak gets a couple of buckets early but with much better athletes and more alert players. Three on Rak, one on Cooney, which leaves us three on one in our favor. We'll get owned.

The evidence and numbers aren't there to support Cooney taking threes either.

At least they cover Cooney - bet no one's happier than Rak when Cooney, G, BJ makes a 3.

Opponents can just put all 5 players in a semi-circle around about 2 feet inside the foul line at the top and extend down the foul lane otherwise.

The evidence and numbers aren't there to support Cooney taking threes either.

Well, he is the best they have. Very flawed team. That is my point and the gist of the JB comments in the last presser. Somebody has to shoot threes to space the court and he is the best they have. I would still take him over Silent G if the game is on the line to make a three. Cooney won the ND game also. He just is forced to do too much on a team with poor guard play and thin depth.

Well, he is the best they have. Very flawed team. That is my point and the gist of the JB comments in the last presser. Somebody has to shoot threes to space the court and he is the best they have. I would still take him over Silent G if the game is on the line to make a three. Cooney won the ND game also. He just is forced to do too much on a team with poor guard play and thin depth.

Better than G?

Better than G?

I think G benefits from all the attention Cooney gets. G's numbers are better but I would still take Cooney with the game on the line. This team is so messed up unfortunately with a bunch of guys playing unnatural positions due to depth issues and poor PG play. I am really surprised how well and hard they have played all things being said. Then again, college hoops is pretty bad this year. This is the worst bubble year that I can remember. I don't want any of these bubble teams in the Tourney. They don't do anything for me. Put them all in the NIT and let them work with the new rules there.

he takes too many bad threes to chalk it up to court spacing

the reason i post the stats i do is to show just how rare it is. surely there are other teams with thin benches with below average shooting who need to space the court but none of them seems to do this much bad shooting to space the court

Last edited:
Better than G?

G seems reluctant to shoot from the outside when challenged. Mike's a much better driver, finisher (Duke game withstanding) than Cooney who seems much more comfortable taking it to the basket than shooting. Seems like JB's been concerned with getting Mike engaged on the offensive end and being consistently aggressive. We've seen him perform and execute but he seems to shy away from taking on the overt pressure say Cooney or Rak gets. He appears to want to stay a silent assassin in spots he chooses. Talented, interesting and probably frustrating player to motivate and maximize his potential. Just my crazy take and I admit I could be all wet.

G leads the ACC in 3pt FG% and he has drawn the best defender from the opposition the past few games. ND put Grant on G and Duke put Cook on G. Cooney got Jones from Duke and mainly Connington from ND.
Cooney is a lot easier to shut down because he is mainly a catch and shoot guy. The problem is since he can't create much teams get in his grill and he takes a lot of bad shots.
If Cooney is our best guard next year he better either develop a driving ability or become more selective in his shooting. Gbinije has been so much better than Cooney it is crazy how under appreciated G's performance has been as he will be all-conference.

he takes too many bad threes to chalk it up to court spacing

the reason i post the stats i do is to show just how rare it is. surely there are other teams with thin benches with below average who need to space the court but none of them seems to do this much bad shooting to space the court

I do agree with you and those bad shots and bad timing of said shots. One would have to think that on a relatively normal team with better working parts that those kinds of shots wouldn't be allowed.

In the Notre Dame game Grant did guard Cooney, not G. At the very end they even had Connaughton helping Grant cover Cooney for his length. I thought I - saw Grant guarding him in the ND game and found this video from the game included in this article.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400587999

Yes, a flawed team, but also a flawed player who should know better but apparently doesn't. JB has complained all season long about the young players not learning, which is true, but we also have a veteran who hasn't learned the difference between a bad shot and a good shot all season long. That, in my view, is far worse, because Cooney's been in the program for four years and should know better. People here make one excuse after another for him but the fact is Rak has performed as an All-American on this flawed team, G's play has markedly improved as has Roberson's in spots. Nobody's making excuses for them, other than to argue that were it not for Cooney they wouldn't play as well. If it were baseball we were talking about the argument would be, 'well if our number three hitter didn't strike out 3x a game, our clean up guy wouldn't have had so many RBIs.' Makes no sense. But for some reason the Cooney excuses are endless. The plain and simple fact is he's not learned how to play within his own limitations. As a result, he often hurts rather than helps. No one can successfully argue that 3-25 occupies the defense. As for winning the ND game, really? Two of those shots were outright chucks, no different than he's done all season. The team won that game, not Cooney.

junior cooney is in between freshman and soph cooney and only 15% of his threes came his freshman year

if you don't like these threads, lets hope the green light becomes a little more yellow next year when it matters more

I hope it stays just as green. With BJ's improvement and the addition of Richardson, Cooney will probably be on the floor with better shooters and he'll certainly play less minutes than his current crazy level. His attempts will go down by default.

I look forward to watching him next season with a significant role on a good team. Anybody who says he shouldn't be shooting 3's or shouldn't be putting up 8+ per game is no longer allowed to cheer when he makes one. If it's a game-winner against a rival, you have to sit there quietly and explain how he's not good.

Yes, a flawed team, but also a flawed player who should know better but apparently doesn't. JB has complained all season long about the young players not learning, which is true, but we also have a veteran who hasn't learned the difference between a bad shot and a good shot all season long. That, in my view, is far worse, because Cooney's been in the program for four years and should know better. People here make one excuse after another for him but the fact is Rak has performed as an All-American on this flawed team, G's play has markedly improved as has Roberson's in spots. Nobody's making excuses for them, other than to argue that were it not for Cooney they wouldn't play as well. If it were baseball we were talking about the argument would be, 'well if our number three hitter didn't strike out 3x a game, our clean up guy wouldn't have had so many RBIs.' Makes no sense. But for some reason the Cooney excuses are endless. The plain and simple fact is he's not learned how to play within his own limitations. As a result, he often hurts rather than helps. No one can successfully argue that 3-25 occupies the defense. As for winning the ND game, really? Two of those shots were outright chucks, no different than he's done all season. The team won that game, not Cooney.

Should know better than to do what? He's told to shoot so he does. He takes at most 3 contested, difficult attempts per game... at most. He's not directly taking away layups from G or post shots from Rak like some like to think. He rarely takes a bad 3 early in the shot clock and typically throws up the really wild ones when Rak can't get position and G is in one of his stretches where he doesn't want the ball.

And how on God's green earth do you think he doesn't occupy the defense? Have you seen the guy every single game who's attached to Cooney's shorts and expressly prohibited by the coach from playing any help defense at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I go again arguing about a player who I think is good, but it probably comes across as me thinking he's amazing or something. I specifically said I wasn't going to do that haha.

He's a good player who's earned his playing time, belongs at this level, and has earned the right to shoot like he does because a) he's told to b) he's all we got from behind the arc (G makes the wide open ones).

I've spoken my peace. Time to put the thread on 'ignore'

Last edited by a moderator:
If they can find a way to limit him to 30 mpg next year, I think he can be awesome for us. My only other thought is that if he ever finds himself leading any kind of fast break he needs to just dribble out of bounds, that way at least it is a dead ball turnover. Something positive happens in those situations about 10% of the time, it's comical.

Brooky03 said:
Here I go again arguing about a playing who I think is good, but it probably comes across as me thinking he's amazing or something. I specifically said I wasn't going to do that haha. He's a good player who's earned his playing time, belongs at this level, and has earned the right to shoot like he does because a) he's told to b) he's all we got from behind the arc (G makes the wide open ones). I've spoken my peace. Time to put the thread on 'ignore'
Please do