Looking at Ticketmaster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Looking at Ticketmaster

So, you are saying that we ONLY need 8% of three entire counties to get to 40K. Seems reasonable at first.

How about 10% of the existing alumni base over the last 20 years show up to a game or buys season tickets. Add that to the 35K locals that always shows up and every game is a sellout.

Well, if we're talking about say 25,000 to 30,000 baked in at every game, we're really only talking about 10,000 to 15,000. Yes, alums would be great, and it would be wonderful to get those folks back there as well. 10% doesn't tell us muc though, really proximity of alumni is what they should be thinking about. I'd love to see some data on where alums live, and how many are within say a three hour radius of the 'Cuse, six hour, etc... Reasonably, you can't expect someone who lives say, five hours away to be at every home game. That's 10 hours round trip and can become difficult week after week. When I was a new grad, that wasn't an issue. Now that I live about eight hours away it's tough to make it back for a weekend game. Of course I have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife, so that makes things more difficult.

I think the athletic department would get more bang for their buck, if they were really heavily targeting the counties around Syracuse. There are a lot of people there that could be going to games regularly, and easily. For alums living a long way away it is a huge commitment to do that more than once or twice a year. You're not going to build a base off those people.

For alums who are less than three hours away, you have a chance to make serious and important inroads there. I still think the easiest and most successful marketing plan would be to target extensively the counties surrounding Syracuse, and then target alums who live within three hours. Both of those things are important, and worth exploring.

If we can all agree that the dome will be half filled for any game without marketing doing any work (the die hard crowd so to speak) then you're looking for between 15 and 25,000 other people each home game. With the amount of people in the surrounding areas, and the opportunity to reach out to alums in the general vicinity, this shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

Of course, the team needs to win consistently, have top notch opponents IN THE DOME, (which they will now yearly in conference -- it's the OOC that would help this) and changing the cost of those sideline seats would help. At this point, it's about getting people to buy in long term -- and cheaper season ticket deals in seats that are going unsold (because of donation structures) could potentially go a long way towards that.

OburgOrange said:
Ouch

Not you man. Nor most of the others on this site. Just speaking in general.

CuseGrad94 said:
FWIW Axe had Joe G from the athletic dept on today and he said that the same number of General Public tickets were sold as the Villanova game. He thought the difference would be in the Students. They all got free tickets to the Nova game and it didnt sound like they expected to have as many there for a 12:30 game. My buddies and I are far more than average sports fans and we had an issue getting there for noon games. And those teams were good. We always walked in seconds before kickoff and lived on the Mount for two years, University for two years and Marshall St one year. Most students just slept in on the Noon games unless it was HUGE

I hope that is true but I don't see it. There's a boatload more tix available on ticketmaster than there was for Nova.

Agree Bees. If SU had sold the same number of tickets, why would they offer the employee deal (which was announced on Friday)? I didn't hear Axe today and wonder if he asked Giansante if they were including the free kids and SU employees in that count?

I hope that is true but I don't see it. There's a boatload more tix available on ticketmaster than there was for Nova.
I agree. Friday night you will get more people than a Saturday at 12:30. Saturday afternoon you got youth soccer games still going on, High School football games, and other "kids events" going on in September...parents won't skip those to bring the family to an SU football game

Well, if we're talking about say 25,000 to 30,000 baked in at every game, we're really only talking about 10,000 to 15,000. Yes, alums would be great, and it would be wonderful to get those folks back there as well. 10% doesn't tell us muc though, really proximity of alumni is what they should be thinking about. I'd love to see some data on where alums live, and how many are within say a three hour radius of the 'Cuse, six hour, etc... Reasonably, you can't expect someone who lives say, five hours away to be at every home game. That's 10 hours round trip and can become difficult week after week. When I was a new grad, that wasn't an issue. Now that I live about eight hours away it's tough to make it back for a weekend game. Of course I have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife, so that makes things more difficult.

I think the athletic department would get more bang for their buck, if they were really heavily targeting the counties around Syracuse. There are a lot of people there that could be going to games regularly, and easily. For alums living a long way away it is a huge commitment to do that more than once or twice a year. You're not going to build a base off those people.

For alums who are less than three hours away, you have a chance to make serious and important inroads there. I still think the easiest and most successful marketing plan would be to target extensively the counties surrounding Syracuse, and then target alums who live within three hours. Both of those things are important, and worth exploring.

If we can all agree that the dome will be half filled for any game without marketing doing any work (the die hard crowd so to speak) then you're looking for between 15 and 25,000 other people each home game. With the amount of people in the surrounding areas, and the opportunity to reach out to alums in the general vicinity, this shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

Of course, the team needs to win consistently, have top notch opponents IN THE DOME, (which they will now yearly in conference -- it's the OOC that would help this) and changing the cost of those sideline seats would help. At this point, it's about getting people to buy in long term -- and cheaper season ticket deals in seats that are going unsold (because of donation structures) could potentially go a long way towards that.

I will paraphrase based on your previous post and this one. Here goes...

Alumni have much better excuses than "locals" based on geography...Got it.

Alums should also have more "skin in the game" don't you think... as this is the university that helped them and their families earn their livelihood than I do as I am a "local". Wouldn't you agree?

Funny how I see the locals supporting the team and the community more than the alums but the alums blame the locals for not showing up, very curious.

EDIT: I choose to support this team because whether I like it (I DO along with 25 other locals) or not , they represent my community. I choose to spend my hard earned dollars to watch them play, win or lose. I have supported this team since I was able to earn a dollar. Curious that alums that have far better/more reason to support the team and university than I do choose not to show up. Apparently they have earned the right to criticize without showing up. What we need is more absentee landlords.

Let the criticism of this post begin.

Last edited:
after this weeks game I am only thinking 1 more game could be in the noon to 1230 start(nc state) the rest will be 330 or later later most likely

Where is this Take A Kid To The Game deal?

I have 6 season tix which includes 3 for my kids but I'd let them bring friends if I could get some additional freebies...

I will paraphrase based on your previous post and this one. Here goes...

Alumni have much better excuses than "locals" based on geography...Got it.

Alums should also have more "skin in the game" don't you think... as this is the university that helped them and their families earn their livelihood than I do as I am a "local". Wouldn't you agree?

Funny how I see the locals supporting the team and the community more than the alums but the alums blame the locals for not showing up, very curious.

EDIT: I choose to support this team because whether I like it (I DO along with 25 other locals) or not , they represent my community. I choose to spend my hard earned dollars to watch them play, win or lose. I have supported this team since I was able to earn a dollar. Curious that alums that have far better/more reason to support the team and university than I do choose not to show up. Apparently they have earned the right to criticize without showing up. What we need is more absentee landlords.

Let the criticism of this post begin.
No criticism from me CO! You're stating your opinion, one that is just as valid as mine. Just for some background for you so you know where I'm coming from -- I'm a local who is also an alum. Moved away five years ago for better career opportunities down south. I hope that I see it from both points of view. The team is as much the locals as it is the alums. The diehards like yourself have never been the problem. You bleed orange and back it up. My concern is that there are a lot of locals who don't really care about the team at all.

Growing up I always looked at SU's sports teams as an extension of how the region was perceived nationally. I had pride in those sports teams, because they in part represented me and my area to the world at large in a way that nothing else in central New York could. I have the same feeling as an alum of the university as well. As I said above, I wonder (and have always wondered even as that local guy years ago) why certain segments of our area didn't care about SU sports, and in some cases outright rooted for them to not do well. It always seemed strange to me, as I think the university and the sports teams should be a huge part of our collective civic pride.

Part of this I think is on SU. I don't think they've ever truly tried to be a university that was deeply embedded in the area. They have never marketed the area well, and tried to move beyond the "school on the hill." They need to do more outreach, and hopefully coach Shafer, a truer central New Yorker (without being born there) than I've ever seen, will be able to help with that.

So my answer to "skin in the game" is that I think locals have (or should have) just as much skin in the game, because SU should be "our team." They are nearby, and play sports at a high level. Proximity and success should energize the fan base in CNY. We have those local diehards here on the forum -- the problem is we need more of them.

I try not to throw stones, and I'm not throwing them here. I'm simply stating a fact that drawing an audience from your back yard may be easier than trying to draw an audience that's six hours away (regardless of whether they're alums or not). When I moved to Virginia I said "I'll be back for a minimum of three games a year!" And dammit, some day I'll do that. But life gets in the way, especially when it's a 7 1/2 hour drive one way to turn around on Sunday drive back, and be up in time for work on Monday. I know there are people that do that, and God bless them.

Until you're in an ex-pats shoes though, I guess it's easy to say that those alums who live outside of a three hour radius should have "skin in the game" when it's infinitely harder and more expensive to go back for many games a year, than it is for people that live 15 minutes away. It's simple to say "YOU SHOULD JUST DO IT!" I have a life. A life that revolves around the SU football calendar, but one that also bears a responsibility in raising a child and providing for a family. I can't go to every game. It's not a four hour commitment, it's at least a 48 hour commitment, six times a year. I should NEVER be the target demographic for SU. The locals, the folks within an hour of the dome should be. And those alums that live nearer to central New York.

You don't build a fanbase by promoting yourselves to people six hours away. It's not sustainable, and will never pay serious dividends.

Where is this Take A Kid To The Game deal?

I have 6 season tix which includes 3 for my kids but I'd let them bring friends if I could get some additional freebies...

From the Dome website:

Maryland is Take a Kid to the Game Day. To take advantage of that offer, call our Box Office at 888-DOMETIX, option 'zero'.

Parking is available at the SKYTOP Lot, for $15 per vehicle, and includes a shuttle to and from the game (drop off/pick up at College Place).

CanadianSU said:
The on field product at Tennessee sucks, they still get a ton of people.

Do you want me to explain the differences between Tennessee football and SU football?

Isn't it early leaf raking season this weekend? How has noone mnetioned that yet?

Think you hit the nail on the head here. Not only will SU be at a disadvantage with a smaller alumni base compared to the publics, I'd have to think that private schools such as USC, Northwestern, and BC have a way higher percentage of alumni living within a hundred miles of campus. In fact I'd bet we have the smallest number of alumni within 100 miles of any school in the Power 5. It is what it is though, and the Dome was packed in the 90's, no reason we can't get back to that.

less than 40K for this game will suck. wish it could be at least 45K, but I am being realistic. I agree that a lot of 7-6 type seasons won't bring the casual fans/students in. annoying but accurate

Isn't it early leaf raking season this weekend? How has noone mnetioned that yet?

There aren't really leafs on the ground yet, that particular excuse is rendered useless.

Using the wheel of excuses...the needle has landed on..."...Too nice a day to be in a Dome!"

Landed right between..."going apple picking" and "gonna go to Destiny Mall".

Md looks sad. Mid 30s very depressing. I am bringing about 15 people to this game as well.

I was glad to be able to buy my 3 tix from the box office vs the resale market.

That said- the university has to seriously adjust its price structure. 3rd tier seats for $100-150 is ridiculous.

One more point about locals. I know a bunch of people who had season tickets going back to the 80s and when gross pulled the big games to NYC deal they stopped getting tickets. They Ll felt like it was a slap in the face. They have donations, went up very home game and supported Syracuse then they take the biggest home game of the year away. I agree it was insulting and honestly they have a point.

I know a bunch of long time season ticket holders who felt insulted too. But I don't know any who stopped being season tickets holders. Some will even be at Met Life.

Pffft. The non locals and alumni suck worse.

I will take some heat for this, but here goes:

SU football is just not exciting enough to warrant a 4 hr drive (im in NYC) on a fall Saturday. If i lived within an hour of the dome, id be at every game. But the lack of atmosphere and gameday activities makes it hard to justify making the trip for a single game. I try to make at least one a year, but even that is tough.

So i guess i am exhibit A to your argument. Although i should mention that i have tixs for the notre dame game.

Last edited:
I will take some heat for this, but here goes:

SU football is just not exciting enough to warrant a 4 hr drive (im in NYC) on a fall Saturday. If i lived within an hour of the dome, id be at every game. But the lack of atmosphere and gameday activities makes it hard to justify making the trip for a single game. I try to make at least one a year, but even that is tough.

So i guess i am exhibit A to your argument. Although i should mention that i have tixs for the notre dame game.
Respectfully disagree, we have a great time tailgating up on the hill, the atmosphere at games has actually been pretty good ( that is the fans that are there are into the game) There just aren't enough of us.

I know I basically drove a glorified Big Wheel in college, but it was no less than 5 hours from Queens to Syracuse. And that was bypassing the Roscoe Diner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom