Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota

TexasCPA -- I think you may be misinterpreting something from the article. From what I have gathered reading a few different articles is that those videos are of her when she was with a player who she had been having a consensual relationship with -- the 'first guy'. It was the line of players out the door who she did not consent to and even though the video didn't show any of the other players, the DA thought that it blew a hole in the case. It wasn't the rape kit and the blood and swabbing tests that go with it; it wasn't her account of the night; it wasn't the calls she immediately made to her friends and family.

But throw that all away. The facts are that there was a very intoxicated girl that a bunch of guys repeatedly had sex with. That's not disputed by anyone, including the players. Nearly every university in America now has a code that says if someone is impaired, then they can't consent. This seems like a textbook case of these guys ignoring that code.

TexasCPA -- I think you may be misinterpreting something from the article. From what I have gathered reading a few different articles is that those videos are of her when she was with a player who she had been having a consensual relationship with -- the 'first guy'. It was the line of players out the door who she did not consent to and even though the video didn't show any of the other players, the DA thought that it blew a hole in the case. It wasn't the rape kit and the blood and swabbing tests that go with it; it wasn't her account of the night; it wasn't the calls she immediately made to her friends and family.

But throw that all away. The facts are that there was a very intoxicated girl that a bunch of guys repeatedly had s e x with. That's not disputed by anyone, including the players. Nearly every university in America now has a code that says if someone is impaired, then they can't consent. This seems like a textbook case of these guys ignoring that code.

And the cops saying she doesn't appear intoxicated, doesn't mean she wasn't...I have known people who could drink like that and you would never have know that they were drunk...

Also, I believe, the DAs consult the victim in situations like this and let them know it would be an extremely difficult case to prosecute...I am speculating here, but it is plausible that based on advice from the DA and the fact she would have to go through many different trials, she decided to not press the issue criminally and instead just get some sort of legal protection from the alleged perps...

It does look like Mr. Coyle is running into some "karma" following his abrupt exit as the AD at SU (not even sending a rep to the ACC Spring Meeting in Florida where the network issue was discussed) and Shafer loyalists probably felt he cut him one year short. Sometimes it is better to stay where you are - the grass is different but maybe not greener. On the other hand, there are some confidentiality issues with Title IX and also FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) that those of us in the higher education business know about ("higher education and lower living" as one radio pundit terms it) and undoubtedly Coyle is constrained in what he can say as I understand the injured party has filed a Title IX complaint - so a lawsuit is possible - too bad some of the team members do not understand this matter.

On the other hand, there are some confidentiality issues with Title IX and also FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) that those of us in the higher education business know about ("higher education and lower living" as one radio pundit terms it) and undoubtedly Coyle is constrained in what he can say as I understand the injured party has filed a Title IX complaint - so a lawsuit is possible - too bad some of the team members do not understand this matter.
Perhaps someone from UMN should've explained all that to the team before their boycott meeting.

No and no. But, from the way I read it the school isn't punishing them for immoral behavior, they are punishing them because they believe a s e xual assault occurred. To me, that's more than an immoral behavior, that's criminal.

If Coyne would have come out and said, "the players are being punished because they violated the student conduct code and/or behavior unbecoming" then I wouldn't have said a word. Hell, BYU does it every day.

Do you know what the suspension was for exactly? Isnt it always the conduct code? Aka you are suspended because you broke the law which is against the conduct code?

Do you know what the suspension was for exactly? Isnt it always the conduct code? Aka you are suspended because you broke the law which is against the conduct code?

They didn't break any law.

They didn't break any law.

Actually they werent charged. There is a difference. When you speed on the highway but dont get a ticket, you are still breaking the law.

Second, you didnt answer my question. Why did coyle suspend the players? You said youd be fine if they were suspended for violating the student code but it seems you dont know why the players were suspended, so there is a disconnect.

Actually they werent charged. There is a difference. When you speed on the highway but dont get a ticket, you are still breaking the law.

Second, you didnt answer my question. Why did coyle suspend the players? You said youd be fine if they were suspended for violating the student code but it seems you dont know why the players were suspended, so there is a disconnect.

I said previously from what I read, they were suspending them for sexual assault. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what the school said. :noidea:

As for your analogy, the difference is that evidence was presented to prosecutors. They don't believe any laws were broken. You believe otherwise. That's fine. I don't agree with you based on the little bit that's available to us.

I said previously from what I read, they were suspending them for s e xual assault. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what the school said. :noidea:

As for your analogy, the difference is that evidence was presented to prosecutors. They don't believe any laws were broken. You believe otherwise. That's fine. I don't agree with you based on the little bit that's available to us.

They never said that laws weren't broken: On Oct. 3 the attorney’s office announced there would be no charges.

They may not have pressed charges as there was not enough evidence, would have been very difficult to get guilty verdicts, etc. Any number of reasons...based on the cops reports and evidence they didn't press charges, but they may have consulted the victim and she didn't want charges pressed...there are a number of unknowns, and of course I am speculating here...but so are you when you say they don't believe any laws were broken...haven't read where that was the reason for their decision not to press charges...

I said previously from what I read, they were suspending them for s e xual assault. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what the school said. :noidea:

Fair enough but a prosecutor could think a crime happened and still decide not to charge. Those two things arent one in the same.

I'm not defending Coyle or the Minnesota program, but I believe that any players who actually carry out a boycott should have their scholarships taken away. :mad:

I think Mizzou set the precident when they caved to boycotting players and Wolfe resigned. Minnesota can take all the boycotting players' scholarships away...they're just accepting imploding the program by doing so because recruiting there afterwords would be borderline impossible. The players have some leverage here and are using it - and if it was OK at Mizzou to boycott over perceived injustice, it's OK here.