Looks like our old coaches are like kids in a candy shop | Syracusefan.com

Looks like our old coaches are like kids in a candy shop

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Judging from yesterday's exhibition against the Colt's it looks like FHCDM, Nate Hackett & Ty Wheatley can handle talent that they could only have dreamed of coaching while at Syracuse.

Players like Robert Woods, EJ Manuel and Marquis Goodwin played for perennial power houses USC, FSU & Texas. I know it's one exhibition but it was nice to see how they handled all of that speed and athleticism. CJ Spiller was like a player on another level, Ty & Nate have to love having him in the backfield.

To recruits out there please take note, you can come to Syracuse and get top rate coaching.

Couldn't agree more. I felt like those coaches (especially Marrone) were able to frequently out-scheme opponents, putting the team in position to win some games with clearly inferior talent--or at least depth of talent. I still remember some of those games the year after GRob left, where our kids looked like a high school team compared to the opposition, but we held in games with freaking Paulus at QB and linemen that looked more like intramural floor hockey players than D1 football studs. I sat right behind the SU bench that year, and was just amazed at the size and speed disparity in our program--yet we still managed to hang in games. Say what you want about his recruiting efforts, etc., but it's difficult to argue that Marrone did not possess a respected offensive mind (see experience with the Saints, etc.). I'm super curious heading into the is year to see whether McDonald, Perles, etc., can manage this coaching transition effectively, and keep the trend of positive offensive gains going. I think we have more speed and weapons now than we have had in the past few years, and I keep find myself feeling optimistic about this year.

... we held in games with freaking Paulus at QB and linemen that looked more like intramural floor hockey players than D1 football studs. .

As a 1994 SU intramural floor hockey champion (go Lawrinson 15...I think 15), I'm insulted by the comparison to the GRob-formed offensive line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom