Love it, couldn’t agree more | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Love it, couldn’t agree more

Case in point - someone dares think P doesn’t have a ROH resume and you would ban them forever.

The cult of P is wild.
It’s more than just wins and losses. The character of the program, how coach P carried himself, the way his players represented the university all should count and mean as much as the record, at least to me. You won’t find many coaches who will best Paul Pasqualoni when the whole program is considered.

Wow. Nobody remembers. There was literally an on-line vote and this board single handed got like 4 SU athletes in the final 8 and while we lost Floyd perhaps to Steve Young, we ultimately got Freeney the win as best athlete in CT history, and that was before the HoF. It may have been the first time the board community overtook an online vote.

Man, this was 9 years ago

Dave Bing JUST got in. Dave Bing!!! Not in yet: Ben Schwartzwalder, (national champion who has a trophy named after him, and was also a war hero Ben Schwartzwalder - OVMA – Syracuse University ), coach Mac, Gary Gait, John Mackey, ( who has a college football award named after him ), John Wallace, Carmelo, Czonka, Art Monk, McNabb, Freeney, Tommy Myers, Joe Morris, Sherm, Marvin Harrison, Billy Owens, Lawrence Moten, Mike Powell, GMac, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh, reasons too many to type here, (Wilmeth Sidat-Singh - Syracuse University Athletics), etc.
I think it’s great that P’s relatives continue to laud his exploits here, but I imagine he is far down the line of deserving candidates.
(Note: I did not look at SU’s specific criteria for induction, just listed names that came to mind.)
Great points. Folks you listed have repped the Cuse admirably. Easily could add many more. I'm a Coach P supporter/fan and feel he's deserving. Maybe they (Cuse) should speed up the process before we have to rely on vague memories and reporters stories to validate their contributions as well as many women Orange.

Would you not include Schwartzwalder since he went to West Virginia?
I am not sure I would. He is a WVU grad, and they too can lay a legitimate claim to his legacy. It can be a slippery slope. He's got a statue. Name fields/courts after coaches. Have a list of the greatest coaches in one corner or something, but designate the Ring of Honor to alumni only. I think that group of candidates deserves to be elevated. Pre-NIL, they came here for the school. The coaches were still likely in it for the money. I loved P, but P has been back at PSU more than once in the last few years. That's his alma mater.

I am not sure I would. He is a WVU grad, and they too can lay a legitimate claim to his legacy. It can be a slippery slope. He's got a statue. Name fields/courts after coaches. Have a list of the greatest coaches in one corner or something, but designate the Ring of Honor to alumni only. I think that group of candidates deserves to be elevated. Pre-NIL, they came here for the school. The coaches were still likely in it for the money. I loved P, but P has been back at PSU more than once in the last few years. That's his alma mater.
Careful - Dcuse might ban you forever if he gets the chance - blasphemy!

I personally don't have an issue with non-alums like Coach Ben getting in. Where I was going with my original post was I'd prefer that the Ring of Honor be reserved for Syracuse coaches/players who won a national championship, won player of year/Heisman Trophy, were Hall of Famers in their respective sports - truly the elite of the elite. I think jersey recognitions are appropriate for everyone else not quite to that level, but were still Syracuse legends.

Last edited:
LOL. The Ring of Honor is a couple years old. P was the the third-best football coach we had here so think he’s got to wait. Great post by his kid though.

If Coach Ben or Coach Mac aren’t in Coach P certainly shouldn’t be.

Dave Bing JUST got in. Dave Bing!!! Not in yet: Ben Schwartzwalder, (national champion who has a trophy named after him, and was also a war hero Ben Schwartzwalder - OVMA – Syracuse University ), coach Mac, Gary Gait, John Mackey, ( who has a college football award named after him ), John Wallace, Carmelo, Czonka, Art Monk, McNabb, Freeney, Tommy Myers, Joe Morris, Sherm, Marvin Harrison, Billy Owens, Lawrence Moten, Mike Powell, GMac, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh, reasons too many to type here, (Wilmeth Sidat-Singh - Syracuse University Athletics), etc.
I think it’s great that P’s relatives continue to laud his exploits here, but I imagine he is far down the line of deserving candidates.
(Note: I did not look at SU’s specific criteria for induction, just listed names that came to mind.)
Coach Ben is in.

P was a good coach - does not belong in a ROH - I can’t figure out why he would be

The reverence on here by some for a solid but not great resume is fascinating.

lol

look at the schedules he played

TENN
@ Mich
NC State

lol

LOL. The Ring of Honor is a couple years old. P was the the third-best football coach we had here so think he’s got to wait. Great post by his kid though.
Or second but I’ll save that for a thread in May.

Ben
Mac
P
Maybe... or maybe all ...all deserving imo. I don't care where they gradationed from. They gave their all at the Cuse. When we were blessed by their abilities and contributions I never said "oh they didn't graduate here"... I never questioned their loyalties.

Isn’t Freeney the greatest athlete ever to come from CT as voted by the people (most of whom are on this site)?
No, but he is a good one. Bruce Jenner, Calvin Murphy, Steve Young were all excellent and probably the top 3. Sad to say my own exploits did not make the list.

Isn’t Freeney the greatest athlete ever to come from CT as voted by the people (most of whom are on this site)?

Didn't we just add Schwartzwalder this past season? In any event, as people have pointed out, it just started 3 years ago, so I'll give SU some time to catch up. My understanding is the ring of honor is to honor people beyond their accolades as a player which is what they're doing the jersey retirements for (which they're doing Freeney this upcoming season).

So in that thinking, I think Coaches are a good place to start. P and Mac in football, Boeheim just got in so basketball is taken care of. For lacrosse, they should do Desko and Roy Simmons Sr. in addition to Jr. who's already in.

C'mon......P? What about......Coach Mac? How can we not honor our Big Dick?

1708663011451.jpeg

Last edited:
Man, this was 9 years ago

My carpal tunnel just flared up reading that...