Love them or hate them..ND | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Love them or hate them..ND

I hate ND in football more than basketball. For me this goes back to when Don McPherson was robbed of the Heisman to Tim Brown.

They can be fun to watch. (wish we had Grant)
Great display of basketball by ND last night. Now I hope they get tripled up by Kentucky.

They look fantastic. Also, Go Tar Heels! Wiscy is doing way too much flopping/exaggerated head jerks for me to deal with.
I have Wisconsin in my final four and I still have to admit there was some floppage going on. Kaminsky barely got tapped and he couldn't have hit the ground harder. I think the UNC player was so shocked by it, that's why he didn't go in for the dunk.

Notre Dame passed the ball last night better than any team I have seen in the last 20 years of CBB. One game observation, but it was really fun to watch. I think they have a fighting chance against UK. If they played 10 times, I bet ND would win 2-3 games.

IMHO, isolations and ball-screens have had their day. So over done that now opponents are more adroit at defending them. They have a place, but not in 70% of all half-court sets (SU/Boeheim was one of the first to go hard in this direction, and in my amateur opinion, I think it has hurt us (scoring wise) the last 5-6 years.

Want to see scoring go up in CBB. Here is what we need to see ...
  1. More crisp passing. Less dribbling. ND, Duke and UNC are good examples of this. So is Gonzaga.
  2. More fast break opportunities. Time to take the challenge, time to get out on the break and create opportunities before the defense sets up. UNC does this well (they are also excellent at outlet passes). There is a risk/reward component to this for sure. But let's reward the teams with more talent and more speed. Let's see the number of possessions per game jump up 10-15%. That'll be good for the game, good for Syracuse basketball.
  3. In the half-court, take the first good shot that comes available. Too many overbearing coaches don't understand that missing an open 15-footer with 18 seconds left on the shot clock is absolutely NOT a bad shot. These same idiotic control-freak coaches "willingly" a 6th defender into the half-court set. That defender's name is SHOT CLOCK.
Some rule changes I'd like to see to help speed this evolution along ...
  1. Shot Clock moved to 30 seconds. Duh! I'd also listen to 25 second.
  2. Backcourt violation moved from 10 seconds to 7 or 8 seconds. Let's get these kids moving. Walking the ball up? Point guard posing and putting fingers up to call a play? Boring. Let's encourage pressing. Let's make this a full-court game again. Where have you gone Billy Tubbs, Nolan Richardson, etc. Gimme more Huggy Bears!
  3. Call illegal screens. Most games you watch, none are called. Yet, at least 40-50% of those set in the course of a game are illegal. Officials suck.
  4. Reduce timeouts per game to 3. And one of those is a 20-second TO, and you automatically lose a TO at halftime (as they do presently). Less coaching, the better. Coach in practice.
  5. And it is time for the NBA's continuation to filter down to the college game. It just is.
  6. Lastly, move the 3-point line back to international distance. Create a smidgen more space in the lane.

We get our share right? I recall that being the real irony with the punishment.
i dont think so.

think everything is forfeited

I've never really hated ND. Disliked some of their players, but teams like uconn, pitt, nova, Louisville, Marquette, were always much higher on the dislike list

I only really hate their football program. Living in Chicago has only made my hatred grow.

Mock turtle necks aside, Mike Brey doesn't seem like a bad guy. I also don't mind pulling for Jerami's brother.

I don't like them and I especially don't like Pat Connaughton. I have no real basis for this. Also, did anyone else know he plays baseball?! :bat:

i dont think so.

think everything is forfeited

No it has been established that SU gets a full share this year. There is a big thread about it which the PS saw and then wrote an article. Bottom line: we gettin paid baby!!

And to think our last two wins this season were against ND and Louisville. One is in the Elite Eight and one has a decent chance of getting there.

Those are looking like some impressive wins now. Imagine if we held on to beat Villanova too? How many teams would have had 3 wins as impressive as that? Can't be many. Not more than 10 maybe?

I'm still proud of how our kids played this year, all things considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom