Low post scoring (especially Christmas) | Syracusefan.com

Low post scoring (especially Christmas)

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
We may well have been cooked in the game yesterday had Christmas not stepped up with some pretty spectacular scoring moves.

For the last few years, interior scoring has been a gaping hole for SU. However, the baby hook, the drive in the lane, and the high low passing from Christmas to Coleman give me hope that our centers can contribute offensively all year long. These were not fluke plays. These guys have skills. And IMO they need to get the ball more often on offense.

We may well have been cooked in the game yesterday had Christmas not stepped up with some pretty spectacular scoring moves.

For the last few years, interior scoring has been a gaping hole for SU. However, the baby hook, the drive in the lane, and the high low passing from Christmas to Coleman give me hope that our centers can contribute offensively all year long. These were not fluke plays. These guys have skills. And IMO they need to get the ball more often on offense.

They both played well yesterday and they are certainly progressing along. Its a nice problem to have when you have three centers that you can go to at any point,.

And more time for Coleman. Let's not forget the first 4 points of the day came from him. And he looked decent doing it.

Why is it that big men are the best at getting other big men the ball? Seems like we could have a nice little redux of Jackson and AO setting each other up on the blocks.

Rakeem's been very efficient for a couple years. Just needs to get the ball. If we want interior scoring, it's there to be had.

And more time for Coleman. Let's not forget the first 4 points of the day came from him. And he looked decent doing it.

Why is it that big men are the best at getting other big men the ball? Seems like we could have a nice little redux of Jackson and AO setting each other up on the blocks.
Easier for them to pass over defending big men.

Easier for them to pass over defending big men.

Maybe, or what I think is that big men actually understand where to put the ball when they pass it. It bothers me to no end when you see a guy flash a hand low and the ball gets passed in high, or vice versa.

Maybe, or what I think is that big men actually understand where to put the ball when they pass it. It bothers me to no end when you see a guy flash a hand low and the ball gets passed in high, or vice versa.
Very well could be the reason. But what I find hysterical is when keita gets open (and he actually does) and anyone who has the ball is all like "no way bro ".

Very well could be the reason. But what I find hysterical is when keita gets open (and he actually does) and anyone who has the ball is all like "no way bro ".

They are scared they will be credited with the TO when the ball bounces off his hands like a brick wall.

JB is in a tough spot. I thought both Rak and a Cole consistently got good position in the low post. I was VERY encouraged by that, and we looked for them at times (cole early, rak later) and they converted. But then of course JB late in the second half stopped looking for the low post plays which in the surface frustrated me a little. But when you think about it...late in the game...game on the line...who are you going to put the ball in the hands of? Rak or cole? Or CJ, grant and Ennis? It's not a tough choice but I hope JB continues to develop our post play, IMO it hasn't been a legit option consistently since RJackson left....

JB is in a tough spot. I thought both Rak and a Cole consistently got good position in the low post. I was VERY encouraged by that, and we looked for them at times (cole early, rak later) and they converted. But then of course JB late in the second half stopped looking for the low post plays which in the surface frustrated me a little. But when you think about it...late in the game...game on the line...who are you going to put the ball in the hands of? Rak or cole? Or CJ, grant and Ennis? It's not a tough choice but I hope JB continues to develop our post play, IMO it hasn't been a legit option consistently since RJackson left....

Good points there as well. JB understands that the other squad is likely to foul and you don't want DC II on the line late in the game. So, he gives up a little in scoring and rebounding, but knows the big man is probably going to be in the right place on D.

They are scared they will be credited with the TO when the ball bounces off his hands like a brick wall.
I was watching the game at my parents house yesterday, my Dada and I see a big man flash to the low post. We are both like "hit him "( both realize its keita) "nevermind". In unison. Jinx padlock you owe me a coke moment. Its so sad. But I do love the sob.

I was watching the game at my parents house yesterday, my Dada and I see a big man flash to the low post. We are both like "hit him "( both realize its keita) "nevermind". In unison. Jinx padlock you owe me a coke moment. Its so sad. But I do love the sob.
Keita scored some during our FF run. Don't know What is up this season so far. It's funny, everyone,myself included, roots for rak or cole bigtime, but it's Keita that JB likes to put out at crunch time. Maybe we re rooting for the wrong guy to improve...

There were a bunch of times yesterday that Christmas and Coleman had their man sealed and didn't receive the ball. On those plays they were not even looked at and that needs to change. St. John's fronted the post a number of times with no one in sight for weak side help to defend a lobbed entry and the pass wasn't made.The good news is that JB has addressed it and over the course of the remainder of the season the bigs should become more involved offensively. That drive by Christmas was one heck of a display of not only ability and skill, but improvement offensively.

I still want the ball to be with Ennis and CJ at the end of close games, but the more the more our big guys can be threats the easier it becomes to get your prime time scorers good shots.

Christmas is really becoming a pretty good all around college bball player. HE has always been a good passer but seems to have gotten much better with that this year. He can play effective defense for us on the wing or in the middle. He gives you some shot blocking and muscle in his post defense and the guy has been a good scorer in 1on1 situations this year although he hasn't had a lot of them. I hope we see much more of him in the game with CJ and Grant because its hard to defend his duck down when Grant gets the ball at the FT line especially to CJ's side because you can't leave CJ and unlike Coleman Rak can simply shot over other bigs. Coleman has to kind of get around them or go through them and that takes more time. Get Rak the ball 1on1 5' and in and he is very good at elevating and getting up a high percentage shot quickly.

This is not to knock Coleman who is making good progress and at some point in the next season or two he will simply foul out other teams front lines when he gets it. Nor is it a slight on Baye who simply isn't really an offensive player.

Last edited:

Do you remember the game, I forget against who, when Keita was going up for a layup and the ball flew out of his hands 30 ft straight into the air then right through for 2 pts?

Didn't Keita have like 11 boards in elite 8 against Osu ? Didn't he have some big game(s) on the boards during FF run? What is going in this season? It's like he re injured his hand again...

I still want the ball to be with Ennis and CJ at the end of close games, but the more the more our big guys can be the easier it becomes to get your prime time scorers good shots.

Christmas is really becoming a pretty good all around college bball player. HE has always been a good passer but seems to have gotten much better with that this year. He can play effective defense for us on the wing or in the middle. He gives you some shot blocking and muscle in his post defense and the guy has been a good scorer in 1on1 situations this year although he hasn't had a lot of them. I hope we see much more of him in the game with CJ and Grant because its hard to defend his duck down when Grant gets the ball at the FT line especially to CJ's side because you can't leave CJ and unlike Coleman Rak can simply shot over other bigs. Coleman has to kind of get around them or go through them and that takes more time. Get Rak the ball 1on1 5' and in and he is very good at elevating and getting up a high percentage shot quickly.

This is not to knock Coleman who is making good progress and at some point in the next season or two he will simply foul out other teams front lines when he gets it. Nor is it a slight on Baye who simply isn't really an offensive player.
The spin move by Rak was encouraging. He has always been characterized as a good athlete who just doesn't gave enough ball skill or aggression. But that play proved he can have some aggression and basketball skill, hope to see more if it...

There were a bunch of times yesterday that Christmas and Coleman had their man sealed and didn't receive the ball. On those plays they were not even looked at and that needs to change. St. John's fronted the post a number of times with no one in sight for weak side help to defend a lobbed entry and the pass wasn't made.The good news is that JB has addressed it and over the course of the remainder of the season the bigs should become more involved offensively. That drive by Christmas was one heck of a display of not only ability and skill, but improvement offensively.

I think Lavin felt his bigs could handle ours 1on1 and block some shots but DC2 success from the whistle kind of seemed to get Rak and DC2 engaged and really working for good position. JB must have had to remind the guys to get the ball to them in one of the TO's because we started to and of course he called that wonderful high low with grant at the FT line a handful of times in the second half.

Do you remember the game, I forget against who, when Keita was going up for a layup and the ball flew out of his hands 30 ft straight into the air then right through for 2 pts?
His career could make for a fantastic blooper video. Hes had quite a few.
Didn't Keita have like 11 boards in elite 8 against Osu ? Didn't he have some big game(s) on the boards during FF run? What is going in this season? It's like he re injured his hand again...
Not sure why hes regressed but I'm hoping he figures it out. He can be a great player when his hands aren't getting in the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom