LSU My #1 Surprise Team" | Syracusefan.com

LSU My #1 Surprise Team"

Orijinal

All Conference
Phil Steele speaking on Colin Cowherd. Said they won't be in the top 25 to start the season but will be a legitimate national title contender. Les Miles might have the fastest defense he put on the field.

Uh oh. Major injuries in week 4 for SU?

How are they going to NC contenders after they lose to us? Is Phil using the "early season loss" philosophy?
I don't know, but this guy has been the most accurate predictor of the fortunes of college football for a long, long time.

Phil Steele speaking on Colin Cowherd. Said they won't be in the top 25 to start the season but will be a legitimate national title contender. Les Miles might have the fastest defense he put on the field.

Uh oh. Major injuries in week 4 for SU?

I'm kinda confused by his analysis here. He's usually spot on, like you said, but first of all LSU will most likely be ranked preseason. I've seen multiple publications putting them between 13-17 pre-season rankings. Unless he's talking about a specific poll, that part doesnt make sense.

Also, LSU will be great on the o-line, at RB, and in the secondary. Thats about it. Everything else is speculation. They lost a lot in the front 7 of their defense this offseason, and their QB's dont scare anybody after their performances last year (both completed below 50% of their passes).

I'll add to this, after looking at LSU's schedule, they will be coming off two very tough games @MissState(tougher than people think), and Auburn(predicted to win SEC by a lot of people). They could be beat up/lacking confidence when they come to the Dome, into a game where we should be pretty confident coming in.

He did say with the exception of QB, although QB now has more experience.

I am not sure how LSU can be a title contender after they lose to us. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they would still have to win the SEC and then the first round game in the playoffs before losing to us again. (removes Orange colored glasses and gets back to work)

If LSU isn't in the preseason top 25 that would be nuts. Only Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas would be in the preseason top 25. Sorry, but the SEC isn't getting only 4 of the preseason top 25.
LSU is probably in the 13-19 range in the preseason polls.

Honestly believe, with fournette's return, lsu is a legitimate top 5 team.

I'm still trying to figure out why Everett Golson went to FSU instead of LSU. Add him to that RB and that defense...

Last edited:
I'm kinda confused by his analysis here. He's usually spot on, like you said, but first of all LSU will most likely be ranked preseason. I've seen multiple publications putting them between 13-17 pre-season rankings. Unless he's talking about a specific poll, that part doesnt make sense.

Also, LSU will be great on the o-line, at RB, and in the secondary. Thats about it. Everything else is speculation. They lost a lot in the front 7 of their defense this offseason, and their QB's dont scare anybody after their performances last year (both completed below 50% of their passes).

I'm also surprised Steele is so bullish on LSU. However, there's a little more in the cupboard than what you have listed above. Overall LSU brings back 9 starters on offense.

LSU will have one of the most talented WR groups in the country (every WR that played last year returns this year). They were all first year starters last year (in fact all but one were freshmen) but now they've got a year under their belts. Of course LSU still needs one of the QBs to show he can get the ball to them. It's understandable that folks which didn't follow LSU closely don't realize how talented this young group is.

LSU has a deep DT group this year, which once again had two first year starters last year who struggled early but came on the second half of the season.

There's an All-SEC candidate at MLB, who didn't start until the 7th game last year. Hope he stays healthy, not sure who his replacement would be, there's depth issues at MLB.

DE is a big question mark, both starters are gone. Lots of candidates but none that are proven. LSU did add one of the best Dline coaches in the country in the off season, in Ed Orgeron.

OLB will have two senior starters but neither has been a huge impact player up to now.

Honestly LSU will be one of the more unpredictable teams this year. High ceiling if it comes together - few teams in the country can boast more overall talent - but QB, DE, and depth at LB if there are injuries could lead to a disappointing season. Odds are high they'll win more games this year though considering they don't have nearly so many first year starters on both sides of the ball.

I'm also surprised Steele is so bullish on LSU. However, there's a little more in the cupboard than what you have listed above. Overall LSU brings back 9 starters on offense.

LSU will have one of the most talented WR groups in the country (every WR that played last year returns this year). They were all first year starters last year (in fact all but one were freshmen) but now they've got a year under their belts. Of course LSU still needs one of the QBs to show he can get the ball to them. It's understandable that folks which didn't follow LSU closely don't realize how talented this young group is.

LSU has a deep DT group this year, which once again had two first year starters last year who struggled early but came on the second half of the season.

There's an All-SEC candidate at MLB, who didn't start until the 7th game last year. Hope he stays healthy, not sure who his replacement would be, there's depth issues at MLB.

DE is a big question mark, both starters are gone. Lots of candidates but none that are proven. LSU did add one of the best Dline coaches in the country in the off season, in Ed Orgeron.

OLB will have two senior starters but neither has been a huge impact player up to now.

Honestly LSU will be one of the more unpredictable teams this year. High ceiling if it comes together - few teams in the country can boast more overall talent - but QB, DE, and depth at LB if there are injuries could lead to a disappointing season. Odds are high they'll win more games this year though considering they don't have nearly so many first year starters on both sides of the ball.

Perhaps we should send some "distractions" to the team hotel the night prior to the game?

Just as I was getting that annual optimist view of our chances to win any game on the schedule, you post this...:(

Where as we bring back most of one of the worst offenses of the last decade and lost 8 starters on defense. Woo.

Just as I was getting that annual optimist view of our chances to win any game on the schedule, you post this...:(

Maybe Fournette won't be able to play in the game against us. ;)

Well I know that anomander can confirm that I have made correct predictions on players on opposing teams not being able to play... but this is too far out for even a good witch. :)

Yes I can confirm she has a voodoo doll that she seemingly s. Either that or she has access to injury reports not even Billy Walters can get.

Yes I can confirm she has a voodoo doll that she seemingly . . . . . s. Either that or she has access to injury reports not even Billy Walters can get.
Wow - I can't wait to find out what she does to that voodoo doll ;)