LSU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

LSU

Just wanted to go take a look back to see how we've done in any of these OOC P5 early season games:
2010: Lost at Washington
2011: Beat Wake Forest at home, Lost at USC
2012: Lost to Northwestern, USC & Minnesota
2013: Lost to Penn State & Northwestern
2014: Lost to Notre Dame
2015: Lost to LSU

So tell me again how scheduling these games is helping anything. Beat Wake Forest in overtime in the dome once in 2011, whoo!!
Giving us confidence some think...lol.

Good teams do! Cause they have a legit chance to win the game. We have zero chance to win these games vs LSU and Wisconsin (coming up).

At some point we hope to become a good team, there is nothing wrong with challenging yourself with a tough non conference game, its not the end of the world if you lose, and you might actually win it.

At some point we hope to become a good team, there is nothing wrong with challenging yourself with a tough non conference game, its not the end of the world if you lose, and you might actually win it.
When we challenge ourselves every single year with FSU/Clemson + a team like Louisville/UNC/VT, we don't need to make it harder to win 6 of the other 9 games.

When we challenge ourselves every single year with FSU/Clemson + a team like Louisville/UNC/VT, we don't need to make it harder to win 6 of the other 9 games.

So your answer is schedule 5 cupcakes, and hope that prepares us for Acc play.

First off - there are 4 OOC games.

And yes - schedule 4 winnable games.
Period.

Nobody cares HOW you get bowl-eligible - only that you do.

Second - how does losing to LSU/Notre Dame/Wisky/etc in the OOC "prepare us" for ACC play?

First off - there are 4 OOC games.

And yes - schedule 4 winnable games.
Period.

Nobody cares HOW you get bowl-eligible - only that you do.

Second - how does losing to LSU/Notre Dame/Wisky/etc in the OOC "prepare us" for ACC play?

Ok 4, sorry, we used to play 5. Im not saying play Lsu,Nd, and Wisky, that would be stupid. But whats the downside to playing one of those guys?

Ok 4, sorry, we used to play 5. Im not saying play Lsu,Nd, and Wisky, that would be stupid. But whats the downside to playing one of those guys?

The virtually guaranteed L?

Until were consistently winning 6+ games each and every season, we can't be throwing a W away in an "aspirational" game.
We've done that for ages now, and it clearly. Does. Not. Work.

We get to "test" ourselves against FSU and Clemson every year. Why add another land mine?

Then we should schedule these teams after we become good. It is the end of the world to schedule losses like this because it kills your chances to go to a bowl. When you have Clemson, FSU, and an LSU on your schedule...you leave yourself little margin for error to get to 6 wins. You almost can't have a bad day vs the rest of your schedule. Or only 1 bad day at most. And there is almost no chance of having a realistic shot of winning these games. That's fairy-tale stuff

We are playing one of those guys. Each year. Possible exception is the twerps

2016 - ND
2017 - @LSU
2018 - @ND
2019 - @MD
2020 - @Wisconsin
2021 - Wisconsin
2022 - ND (site TBD)

YES!!!! Losing to powerhouses isn't preparing us for ACC play. We still lose to Pitt, Virginia, GT, Duke, BC, L'ville, NC State. What has being tested given us? We beat Wake every year and we go back and forth with BC win one, lose one, win one, lose one.

Getting drilled by ND and USC and LSU hasn't helped one bit

YES!!!! Losing to powerhouses isn't preparing us for ACC play. We still lose to Pitt, Virginia, GT, Duke, BC, L'ville, NC State. What has being tested given us? We beat Wake every year and we go back and forth with BC win one, lose one, win one, lose one.

Getting drilled by ND and USC and LSU hasn't helped one bit

Again we aren't talking about the past couple of years, we are talking about going forward, as we get better as a program.

The virtually guaranteed L?

Until were consistently winning 6+ games each and every season, we can't be throwing a W away in an "aspirational" game.
We've done that for ages now, and it clearly. Does. Not. Work.

We get to "test" ourselves against FSU and Clemson every year. Why add another land mine?

So we have no shot of beating Nd at Metlife this year? None at all, ok good, so now I don't have to waste my money on tickets.

So we have no shot of beating Nd at Metlife this year? None at all, ok good, so now I don't have to waste my money on tickets.

We have a shot. Just not a very good one.

IF we win 5 games this season, are you going to be glad we took a shot at the big boys in the OOC and took the L, or wish we'd scheduled a team like Kansas, Vandy, or Purdue, et al - that would have had a MUCH higher probability of being a W, and getting us to 6 wins?

Have about a 5-10% shot at winning I'd guess. Could happen, but I'd much prefer a 50+% shot of playing someone in our own tier of schools. Not really interested in being a cupcake on some other teams schedule that their board is marking down as an automatic W.

Have about a 5-10% shot at winning I'd guess. Could happen, but I'd much prefer a 50+% shot of playing someone in our own tier of schools. Not really interested in being a cupcake on some other teams schedule that their board is marking down as an automatic W.
ND has a scheduling arrangement with the ACC. SU is abliged to play these games.

Duke, NC St, schedule cupcakes, and go 4-0, then win 2 ACC games you go bowling. Until the time that we starting winning 8 or more games every year, you schedule to go 4-0 out of conference. Getting those extra practices, and a Bowl Game is paramount to build this program back to where it needs to be.

Duke, NC St, schedule cupcakes, and go 4-0, then win 2 ACC games you go bowling. Until the time that we starting winning 8 or more games every year, you schedule to go 4-0 out of conference. Getting those extra practices, and a Bowl Game is paramount to build this program back to where it needs to be.
Thank you! Totally agree!

I don't mind playing one tough OOC game per year (as we currently have scheduled through 2022), but the idea of playing more than one, given the current state of the program, is just amazing to me. SO important to a) be able to tell recruits you went to a bowl, and b) get the extra 15 practices. Even when we get to the point where we can compete consistently with the teams mentioned in this thread, the goal is always to make a bowl game. We are going to have either FSU or Clemson in the Dome each year, and every other year we would get the 'tough' team. And that's the worst case scenario. Given our crossover schedule, odds are one of those will be a good team (agreed that right now, the Coastal sucks). I hope ADMC is of the same mind and communicates this to Herm. He ain't at UAB anymore. No need to schedule like he is.

baggerbob said:

That worked for Duke. Jury is out whether that gets NC State where they want to go. They got ripped by the media for their OOC games last season.

I'd say play one P5 school that's a step up, two non P5, one FCS.

That worked for Duke. Jury is out whether that gets NC State where they want to go. They got ripped by the media for their OOC games last season.

I'd say play one P5 school that's a step up, two non P5, one FCS.

We ripped Rutgers for years for doing it, it would be funny if we did the same exact thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom