Mac Brown just called Major Applewhite... | Syracusefan.com

Mac Brown just called Major Applewhite...

orangeinjersey

All Conference
one of the best young play callers in college football. What exactly did he do for us in 2005??

one of the best young play callers in college football. What exactly did he do for us in 2005??
Did enough to get a new job. Will be a head coach sooner rather than later

Did enough to get a new job. Will be a head coach sooner rather than later

His next job after the SU job was OC at Rice. He is 38 now, still an OC. How is he "young"? And at 11 years of being an OC, he shoulda got a shot to be a HC by now no?

He's done a great job with Houston's offense. I get the feeling he didn't have much support here.

To add to what everyone said above, Applewhite played for Brown, so not surprising that Mack would sing his praises when given the opportunity.

One of the dumbest decisions Brown ever made was benching Applewhite for Chris Simms.

orangeinjersey said:
His next job after the SU job was OC at Rice. He is 38 now, still an OC. How is he "young"? And at 11 years of being an OC, he shoulda got a shot to be a HC by now no?

In a sport where guys coach into their 70s, 38 is young all things considered.

Just so I understand the OP, is he not a good play caller because he was QB coach for a historically bad Syracuse team eleven years ago?

Just so I understand the OP, is he not a good play caller because he was QB coach for a historically bad Syracuse team eleven years ago?

My thinking was more of
1. He was a qb coach for our awful team
2. He's 38
3. He has the same job as he did 11 years ago

If you had the same job 11 years ago, and you're now 38, would anyone consider you "best young" anything?

orangeinjersey said:
My thinking was more of 1. He was a qb coach for our awful team 2. He's 38 3. He has the same job as he did 11 years ago If you had the same job 11 years ago, and you're now 38, would anyone consider you "best young" anything?

Well, if 11 years ago you were "Vice President" of product development at your college buddies start-up, and 11 years later you are Vice President of Product Development at Google, you might be considered pretty good.

My thinking was more of
2. He's 38

If you had the same job 11 years ago, and you're now 38, would anyone consider you "best young" anything?

I don't know. 38 still seems pretty young for the second highest rank on a coaching staff. Also, it's Mack Brown.

I still don't see how his tenure as QB coach in 2005 should figure into his playing abilities

Anyone who coached under he who should not be named gets a pass as far as what they did here. It was like being a soldier in the Polish Army against the Nazi's. Except Poland was more competitive. And yes, Rutgers were the Nazi's.

Last edited:
he went back home to Texas and coached there from 08-13, including being co-OC from 2011-2013 (otherwise known as the dark times for UT football). He also got busted for having an "inappropriate relationship" with a student in 2009 and was disciplined by UT for it. Those kinds of things can slow down an upward trajectory. However, he seems to have found his place with Herman/Houston, so good for him. 38 is still young to be a major program coordinator.

he went back home to Texas and coached there from 08-13, including being co-OC from 2011-2013 (otherwise known as the dark times for UT football). He also got busted for having an "inappropriate relationship" with a student in 2009 and was disciplined by UT for it. Those kinds of things can slow down an upward trajectory. However, he seems to have found his place with Herman/Houston, so good for him. 38 is still young to be a major program coordinator.

I forgot about the inappropriate relationship thing. Is Petrino hiring?

My thinking was more of
2. He's 38

11 years ago, he was working for the nation's 113th best company. Now, he's working for pone of the perhaps top 12 based on new rankings.

That's the equivalent of "What did Donovan McNabb do as a True Freshman?"

Grow up.

(Answers my question and maybe yours.)

My thinking was more of
2. He's 38

Shouldn't be penalized for getting an OC job much earlier than most do though. How many D-1 head coaches are out there that are 38 or under?

This was done the right way, the good ol American way. great to see a guy who has paid his dues at a stop get rewarded. This is the way it should work . after all he had a huge influence in how that great offense functioned the last few years. congrats MA!

Don't blame him that he walked into a crappy situation. Can't make chicken salad out of you know what every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom