Malachi Richardson has died of dysentery | Syracusefan.com

Malachi Richardson has died of dysentery

How many kids need to go picks 18-30 and flame out of the league inside 3 years before kids start to notice and change their way of thinking.
A player can't exactly control where he's selected, and 18-30 does come with guaranteed two-year money. The alternative would be rolling the dice and hoping to appreciably improve your position by returning, which is by no means a certainty in most cases.

Anyhow, it's sort of ridiculous to say any of these guys have "flamed out" in January of their rookie year, no matter what is going on.

At least he'll make a pretty penny for a few years. I honestly don't blame him or Ennis for leaving early. I didn't think either guy was a particularly good NBA prospect; they both went higher than I expected them to, so in that sense, they did well for themselves. Malachi definitely had more reason to come back than Ennis did, though if Malachi didn't show a lot of improvement in his sophomore year, his draft stock probably would have cratered. There aren't many teams that are looking for a guy that scores at an inefficient rate while providing nothing else.

At least he'll make a pretty penny for a few years. I honestly don't blame him or Ennis for leaving early. I didn't think either guy was a particularly good NBA prospect; they both went higher than I expected them to, so in that sense, they did well for themselves. Malachi definitely had more reason to come back than Ennis did, though if Malachi didn't show a lot of improvement in his sophomore year, his draft stock probably would have cratered. There aren't many teams that are looking for a guy that scores at an inefficient rate while providing nothing else.

I think both got out at/near the peak value of their draft stock. Richardson could have moved himself into the lottery if he came back and had a big season, but that was far from a sure thing. I can't fault either for their decisions. NBA GM's nowadays look at a Junior in college as old and fundamentally flawed in some way. That's not how it used to be, but that's the environment these players are working with now. You have to get while the gettin's good.

Last edited by a moderator:
snake eyes !

635990262114057820-ROCBrd-04-10-2016-DandC-1-D001--2016-04-09-IMG-Malachi-Richardson-1-1-7AE0SQHB-L791870656-IMG-Malachi-Richardson-1-1-7AE0SQHB.jpg

How many kids need to go picks 18-30 and flame out of the league inside 3 years before kids start to notice and change their way of thinking.

Seniors drafted in the 20's have flamed out at the highest rate of any class the last 15 years.

But the NBA has never been easy to crack, so the flameout rate is high for everybody in those draft positions.

Last edited:
Apparently he'll have unlimited practice time and a team of trainers and and cooks at his ready. Or he'll eat at the Peppermill buffet. Same thing...

Sure, the NBA doesn't give a crap about the first round picks. Not like the team cares about the valuable resource they just used on the kid.

And when they send him down to the d-league they just send him down with no special instructions. Furthermore an NBA team is unable to have a training consultant or a chef to help out their first roudn prospect in the D-League.

A player can't exactly control where he's selected, and 18-30 does come with guaranteed two-year money. The alternative would be rolling the dice and hoping to appreciably improve your position by returning, which is by no means a certainty in most cases.

Anyhow, it's sort of ridiculous to say any of these guys have "flamed out" in January of their rookie year, no matter what is going on.
I wasn't talking about Mali, I was talking about players in general. Sorry should have been more clear. I don't blame the players, I blame the NBA. It is such a joke of a league and it's amazing how terrible they are at developing skill set for players. I mean you are investing large sums of money in them and I would love to understand what kind of player development system they even have. It seems no existent. I'm fine with them developing kids but they don't do that. If the are not interested in doing it then make it so the kids don't get drafted until they are 21 or something. I'm a commercial real estate broker and if we hired some kid right out of school and didn't help teach him how to make calls and how to put deals together and then he didn't make any money and after 2 years he was gone and we just hired another kid right out of school and did the same thing that would be complete insanity. It would never happen in a corporate setting so I don't understand why it happens. I mean you look at the background that NFL teams do on these kids before they draft them and you look at the player development that exists in baseball and then you look at the NBA. It's a joke in my opinion.

Sure, the NBA doesn't give a crap about the first round picks. Not like the team cares about the valuable resource they just used on the kid.

And when they send him down to the d-league they just send him down with no special instructions. Furthermore an NBA team is unable to have a training consultant or a chef to help out their first roudn prospect in the D-League.

The kid isn't some sort of unique talent, 2 guards are easy enough to find. A guy like Dion was ready to go physically, etc. Teams have a finite period to get a guy ready or the people involved lose their jobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom