Malachi Richardson has died of dysentery

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by Czar, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jncuse

jncuse All American

Seniors drafted in the 20's have flamed out at the highest rate of any class the last 15 years.

But the NBA has never been easy to crack, so the flameout rate is high for everybody in those draft positions.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    torque and Fly Rodder like this.
  2. jncuse

jncuse All American

Sure, the NBA doesn't give a crap about the first round picks. Not like the team cares about the valuable resource they just used on the kid.

And when they send him down to the d-league they just send him down with no special instructions. Furthermore an NBA team is unable to have a training consultant or a chef to help out their first roudn prospect in the D-League.

3. We Are Syracuse

We Are Syracuse All Conference

Still making the same $$$ DLeague or no DLeague. Salute him for that

two3zone and Newhouser like this.
  4. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle Starter

I wasn't talking about Mali, I was talking about players in general. Sorry should have been more clear. I don't blame the players, I blame the NBA. It is such a joke of a league and it's amazing how terrible they are at developing skill set for players. I mean you are investing large sums of money in them and I would love to understand what kind of player development system they even have. It seems no existent. I'm fine with them developing kids but they don't do that. If the are not interested in doing it then make it so the kids don't get drafted until they are 21 or something. I'm a commercial real estate broker and if we hired some kid right out of school and didn't help teach him how to make calls and how to put deals together and then he didn't make any money and after 2 years he was gone and we just hired another kid right out of school and did the same thing that would be complete insanity. It would never happen in a corporate setting so I don't understand why it happens. I mean you look at the background that NFL teams do on these kids before they draft them and you look at the player development that exists in baseball and then you look at the NBA. It's a joke in my opinion.

SUskibum, Cheriehoop and Bayside44 like this.
  5. Bayside44

Bayside44 Moderator Staff Member

The kid isn't some sort of unique talent, 2 guards are easy enough to find. A guy like Dion was ready to go physically, etc. Teams have a finite period to get a guy ready or the people involved lose their jobs.

6. djcon57

djcon57 All American

Totally disagree.

Look at a guy like Westbrook and how he's developed his shot.
    Whiteside, Giannis, Rudy Gobert, Myles Turner. There's plenty.

There can only be so many elite players. Guys that don't make it, maybe they just aren't that good?

Just as an example. After multiple years in the NBA, MCW still can't shoot at an elite level clip. The idea that if he stayed one more year at Cuse he'd be a good shooter? I just don't buy it.

7. Cuse House

Cuse House Starter

Truest statement I have read. The reality is, there are 30 first round picks. Maybe 5-1o of them find longevity in the league. Unlike the NFL where there are so many positions and a much shorter career life, NBA teams can play 5 guys, and stars will play for 10-20 years. The turnover of players that have already made it is much lower and guys really need to distinguish themselves. The NBA is the hardest pro league in my opinion, to stick on a roster.

8. HOFCeluck

HOFCeluck HTF did I get all these likes

How is the NBA a "joke of a league?". It can't be level of play, since it makes college ball look like a shtshow. It's not fan support, since they just signed a huge TV deal and NBA attendance set a record last season.

I don't know. They seem to be doing a lot right.

44cuse and OrangeDW like this.
  9. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

I've lived around the country, the only people that think the NBA is a joke from what I've seen are Syracuse fans. The city is pretty much has no ties to an NBA team and is so invested into the Orange that they have no reason to be. And in true Syracuse fashion if it's not something they love then the blinders come on and hate spews out.

10. FrancoPizza

FrancoPizza Starter

Serious question: have they made -or considered a remake - of the Oregon trail for smartphones or the PS4?

11. STEVEHOLT

STEVEHOLT There are FIVE letter in the name BLAIN.

This is not true. Syracuse fans tend to be fans of the Knicks. If you are basing your idea of what the NBA is on the Knicks, I can see why someone would think the NBA isn't that great a thing.

12. OrangeDW

OrangeDW All American

No idea, but that would be great. I've only played the original version as a kid. Loved that game.

SUskibum and NineOneSeven like this.
  13. OrangeDW

OrangeDW All American

The league is great. I know people who dislike the NBA that have been tossing the same criticisms out for the last 15 years...while at the same time they haven't actually really watched in 15 years either. When they do catch part of a game, they'll look for the first thing wrong and harp on it and use it as proof that the whole league sucks, and talk about how much better it used to be. Seeing what they want to see, basically.

The league is way better now than it was for most of the 90's, which some people weirdly harp on as some golden era.

two3zone likes this.
  14. Briancuse

Briancuse Living Legend

Its great in the playoffs, the problem is there is no parity,there are two teams that can win a title, and the season is way too long. I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, the product was so much better, I would watch every game that I could.

15. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle Starter

The difference between the value of the Boston Red Sox and Boston Celtics is 600 million. Fan support, are you even serious. The LA Lakers play in a facility that holds 19k people. The Seattle Seahawks play in a facility that holds 67,000. Syracuse could sell out Staples a few times.

16. OrangeDW

OrangeDW All American

It's gotten that way this year, but the West was legitimately loaded the previous 5 years or so and there was not a consensus favorite. Depending on the year you had OKC, San Antonio, GS, the Clippers looking like real contenders. Even the Rockets won a ton of games a few years ago, when Portland knocked them out round 1. The East has been the Lebron show after since the Celtics got old.

Late 80s- very early 90's, sure. Most of the 90s the quality of ball wasn't as good as it is now, and a lot of the most talented players who should've been the next ones to step up and carry the league didn't fully hit...our own DC, Penny, Hill, LJ, Kemp, Manning, K. Anderson, etc...fantastic players at their peaks who didn't have nearly the careers they could have for various reasons. Throw Webber in there to a lesser extent too.

17. djcon57

djcon57 All American

What the hell is going on here?

18. djcon57

djcon57 All American

Yeah man, anytime you had Wayman Tisdale's Sacramento Kings vs the Roy Hinson led Nets in 1989 you just had to be watching! Imagine the ISO play!!

19. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

So Syracuse had more fan support than the Lakers?

20. Eric15

Eric15 Living Legend

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but the NBA is not a joke. The level of play right now is unbelievably high -- probably the best it's ever been.