Malachi taking advantage of his pro status | Syracusefan.com

Malachi taking advantage of his pro status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torn on this. Go out, make your money, knock yourself out. He deserves everything he can earn. But something rubs me the wrong way about doing it at a high school. :noidea:

I agree. I said the same thing! And it's his own high school too. Also, he sort of cheapens himself with this kind of price tag. Maybe?

say he signs 100 autographs that's a grand, and now that he's making "the big bucks " is that even worth it?

Back in '99 I went to Cooperstown to see Ryan, Yount, and Brett inducted. I had just finished my senior year of high school. Saw Pete Rose selling his 'graph for $10.

To this day I regret not getting it.

To me and this goes especially for adults, what is the point of paying for someone's autograph? If you run into a ballplayer and they sign something for you, I think thats neat. Back when I was a kid my uncle was friends with a pretty big name nfl qb, he used to send me signed stuff all the time, that meant something to me .

Wow. Well, that does it. To whom should i surrender my Mal Fan Club card?

I mean, jeez — do something first.

To me and this goes especially for adults, what is the point of paying for someone's autograph? If you run into a ballplayer and they sign something for you, I think thats neat. Back when I was a kid my uncle was friends with a pretty big name nfl qb, he used to send me signed stuff all the time, that meant something to me .

Personally, I've never cared about a signature. It's odd... to me. But I have known plenty of people that do value and "collect" autographs. If I was into it, it would absolutely mean more to receive it in a more candid moment rather than planned/paid for.

Completely understand what you are saying, and I agree.

But if there is a market for it, capitalize on it. Especially for a young, hungry athlete.

SU alum Brandon Steiner has made a pretty nice living off of it. I'm debating whether or not I feel like driving to Trenton. The price and location don't bother me at all. The chance of me running into him anywhere is minimal. If I choose to go, it gives me an opportunity to thank him for what he did for SU, and congratulate him and wish him luck in the NBA. To me that's worth $10.

I'm not an autograph hound at all, but two I have and love: Charlie Watts. Met him while he was being interviewed at the Mayflower Hotel in NYC in I think '92. He was there playing a few shows with his Charlie Parker tribute band. He's Charlie Watts, so I couldn't pass up the chance to get his autograph. He doesn't sign all that frequently for free, so that was cool.

The other: actor Frank Vincent. I had him sign a pic of him as Billy Batts. He signed it with the inscription: "Go home and get your shine box." Love Frank Vincent. Legendary character actor.

I'm not an autograph hound at all, but two I have and love: Charlie Watts. Met him while he was being interviewed at the Mayflower Hotel in NYC in I think '92. He was there playing a few shows with his Charlie Parker tribute band. He's Charlie Watts, so I couldn't pass up the chance to get his autograph. He doesn't sign all that frequently for free, so that was cool.

The other: actor Frank Vincent. I had him sign a pic of him as Billy Batts. He signed it with the inscription: "Go home and get your shine box." Love Frank Vincent. Legendary character actor.

One of the great movie lines ever.

SU alum Brandon Steiner has made a pretty nice living off of it. I'm debating whether or not I feel like driving to Trenton. The price and location don't bother me at all. The chance of me running into him anywhere is minimal. If I choose to go, it gives me an opportunity to thank him for what he did for SU, and congratulate him and wish him luck in the NBA. To me that's worth $10.

Your last two sentences are why I'm a little torn on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom